Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

RDS-TMC and GPRS Traffic differences with Navcore 7.48x
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Tobas
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tomtom are telling me that it's the quality of the radio signal that determines what information can be displayed. When they fix their portal, I'll let them know the missing icons when there's more than one incident and the fact that everything else is displayed correctly i.e. the incident map matches the descriptive text and only the delay time is missing.

They also pointed me at their rds help page which doesn't match the screens for v7.481. Finally they pointed me at their subscription service, I'll be asking them what's the point of selling a 920T when the T's knackered and I have to pay extra to get a working T.

I've still not calmed down over having to get an extra sd card just to have the latest maps on a device sold with the ability to hold europe and usa maps at the same time. I wonder if they monitor the forums?
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike Alder (if he gets time) might be able to provide some side by side screen shots of Navcore 6 & Navcore 7 one after the other using the same TMC antenna in the same car to show the difference.

Reception has nothing to do with it, it is a typical first line response who do not understand the issue.

I no longer have a device running Navcore 6 so can't post the screenshots but basically it works as designed and displays the delay info off of the same antenna that won't display the info on Navcore 7.

Andy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I will get the 910 charged up and take it out in the car over the next few days, my main problem is windscreen area to mount this additional device along with some of the other "toys"
I will try and get some screen shots though when in a decent reception area, around my local town reception is still not that reliable - Mike
stevea100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this is a reworking of a post I made on the TMC section but now seems relevant here because of a posting made by Pete, re safety issues.

I purchased the new TMC receiver in January and like everyone else had better reception and my one XL Europe displayed the now well documented one minute delay. The strange thing is while I was travelling through Europe recently I got reports of multiple incidents displayed on the side bar and timings of greater than one minute. However I am not convinced that the delay times where accurate.
What really concerns me about this problem though is the safety aspect of the TomTom announcing new traffic information has been received. In the UK it only displays a single incident, yet when I go into the content there could be three or more events. The safety aspect is I am finding it very difficult to resist taping the side bar and looking at the reported incidents whilst driving and I am sure I am not the only one. I would consider like a previous post going back to Navcore 6 but my unit must have shipped with an early version of Navcore 7, so that is not an easy option, is it?
For safety’s sake TomTom really need to release the fix to this problem. I for one cannot trust myself to use the receiver in real time safely, so it’s staying in the box in the house.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good point about the safety aspect.

I for one tend to browse the traffic incidents when stationary, and all of the screenshots were taken when parked up safely.

Problem is, human nature is to take a look when the unit announces that the traffic situation on your route has changed and doesn't show you on the sidebar what the current situation is.

Hopefully a fix will be forthcoming, by now TT are probably aware of this thread, the more constructive info we can provide the better in my opinion. If everyone who experiences this issue posts in here it adds more weight to the case.

Andy
emjaiuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
Good point about the safety aspect.

Hopefully a fix will be forthcoming, by now TT are probably aware of this thread, the more constructive info we can provide the better in my opinion. If everyone who experiences this issue posts in here it adds more weight to the case.

Andy

I'll chip in on this although I've already posted coments in other threads. I've never taken much notice of the 1 minute delay, but what really gets me wound up is the nonsensical delay times shown sometimes. 17 hour delays on a 3 hour middle of the night trip in France recently. The only way to give an ETA is to unplug the TMC unit!

I had an unusual occurence the other night though, M25 north through the M1 roadworks to Hemel, TT was showing a 46 minute delay! it was wrong of course, dlay was 5mins if that, but I've never had anything between i minute and multiple hours before. ( Since 'upgrading to v7)
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 10:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

emjaiuk wrote:
I had an unusual occurence the other night though, M25 north through the M1 roadworks to Hemel, TT was showing a 46 minute delay! it was wrong of course, dlay was 5mins if that, but I've never had anything between i minute and multiple hours before. ( Since 'upgrading to v7)
I think this is just coincidence, or maybe it's a choice between 1 min for less than an hour, or "not known" and over an hour? Who knows? Certainly nobody's telling! I have decided that the delay forecast is some multiple of the length of the incident - at one time I thought it was 16 minutes per mile, but then it proved me wrong by getting another one completely different. However, the delay does vary. Today on my way home, it announced several changes and each time with different minutes (or hours) as I progressed towards the incidents (alleged lane closures). As I was passing along one non-existent lane closure at speed, the delayed ETA was shortening dramatically by 5 or 10 minutes every few hundred yards (so it was doing something with the information).

EDIT - I was still on v7.221 on a GO720, WE v710 map. I'll be switching to GO920, W&CE v710, App v7.481 from tomorrow.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

unfortunately i did not know how to do screen shots or I would have obliged on Friday. Please pass on the relevant info as i travel that way on a regular basis Wink and will hopefully get a shot if the situation replicates itself again.
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make screen shots you create a folder called screen in the root (F:/)of your tomtom and in the screen folder you put an empty file called capture

Then when you press the top left hand corner of the screen you will hear a shutter noise and the screen image will be captured as a .bmp file in the screen folder.
gardenshed
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2008 10:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that , mike also e-mailed it to me Very Happy

are there any more mods like that you can add to the root directory by simply inserting a folder and file?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just be aware that .bmps don't show here - you'll have to convert them to jpg before linking to them.

stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 11:31 am    Post subject: Screen Shots Reply with quote

gardenshed wrote:
thanks for that , mike also e-mailed it to me Very Happy

are there any more mods like that you can add to the root directory by simply inserting a folder and file?

Perhaps someone could PM or email me with these instructions. I tried the folder and file options but nothing happens....Can you make this handy option readily available please.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 3:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Screen Shots Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
Perhaps someone could PM or email me with these instructions. I tried the folder and file options but nothing happens....Can you make this handy option readily available please.

You create the folder called screen (all lower case), then into that folder you place an EMPTY file called capture (again, lower case). To create an empty file, open Notepad and immediately save the file without typing anything, File ... Save As .... capture. That will save a file called capture.txt and you use Windows Explorer to delete the extension .txt from the file and then copy it into the directory called screen, on your TomTom.

Then pressing the very top left corner will take a snapshot of your screen and save it in the screen folder as dump12345667889123 (some fancy number it generates). Sometimes you need to press and hold a little. And try different spots in the top left corner. You MAY have already got it working - it often takes a bit of practice to learn how to press the top left corner - I know that sounds daft, but it's how it is!

Incidentally, this feature means you cannot use the + sign on the screen to zoom in on the map.

stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 06, 2008 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cracked it !!!! Thanks Mike and DennisN Very Happy
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Apr 07, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have some interesting screenshots from today - about 5 incidents showing on the sidebar with RDS-TMC Shocked

This is the first time I have seen more than two, and it was with 7.481

Still no delay info, the interesting thing is ALL of the incidents were lane closures - so may be that has something to do with why they all displayed.

I will copy them off of the TT and upload later if I get a chance .........

Andy

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 2 of 10

Jump to: