Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - mitac p560 - review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

mitac p560 - review
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 12:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themeldrews wrote:
Just received my Mio p560 from Anquet.
Will start playing with it(my first PDA).
The Anquet mapping is all GB OS at 50,000 scale.
I have been looking for powered car mount with built in speaker and a mains charger like the type available for the Mio p550.No luck so far.

Terry

Hi Terry,

Let me know what you think. Do you use the Anquet map for general navigation or for hiking too? What memory card have you got, mine is Transcend class 6 8gb SDHC and seems to work well.

Masrock

themeldrews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Masrock,
I got the Mio as a replacement for my Navman in car GPS.I also will use it for hillwalking using the Anquet mapping.
We will be in Snowdonia at the end of the month to try it out.
Will let you know how it does.
The deal from Anquet was Mio P560,All UK on DVD OS 50,000 mapping and a Kingston 8gb SDHC card

Terry
masrock
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 11:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themeldrews wrote:
Hi Masrock,
I got the Mio as a replacement for my Navman in car GPS.I also will use it for hillwalking using the Anquet mapping.
We will be in Snowdonia at the end of the month to try it out.
Will let you know how it does.
The deal from Anquet was Mio P560,All UK on DVD OS 50,000 mapping and a Kingston 8gb SDHC card

Terry

That sounds sweet. If you don't mind my asking, how much was that package?

Masrock

themeldrews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Including P&P and VAT it was £366.
The best deal i saw in the show was from a company www.viewranger.com who offered all of UK National Parks OS at 50,000 on a card for £35.
This deal was for mobile phones with GPS.My mate bought this for his Nokia and is really pleased.He will use it as a backup device on the mountains.
I think this deal is still on.

Terry
CaptainZed
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

themeldrews wrote:
Including P&P and VAT it was £366.
The best deal i saw in the show was from a company www.viewranger.com who offered all of UK National Parks OS at 50,000 on a card for £35.
This deal was for mobile phones with GPS.My mate bought this for his Nokia and is really pleased.He will use it as a backup device on the mountains.
I think this deal is still on.

Terry

I think you can get a better deal than that. Anquet offers all national parks at 1:50,000 whic can be obtained for £15 from these guys
http://www.aboveandbeyond.co.uk/shop/Anquet-National-Park-Series-p-1-c-1110.html

Memory map is also offered but that is more expensive (£27).

More general comments on the MIO. I haven't really used it in anger yet - my main use is as a GPS not a PDA. It is certainly quicker than the 168 and has bettter satelite reception.

One good feature I noticed which may have been there on the 350/550, is that there is a soft off at the top, recessed so hard to activate by mistake and a hard off at the bottom. This latter does not cause the unit to lose all its data (in stark contrast to the 168). Thus I can leave it off just about all the time hence saving on battery use. From comments I have seen for the 350/550, units running down when not in use was a major issue, so hopefully this will have solved the problem.

Am going to the Lakes in May to see how it works on a long walk.
themeldrews
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2008 3:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the links.
I also willl be using mine mainly as a GPS unit in car and on the hill.
I ran a comparison with my Navman N20 last weekend.The Navman is set to suit caravanning but the Mio/TomTom i left at default.The routes given were identical from Cardiff to Snowdonia. The volume on the Mio is noticeably lower and i will get a powered car mount when they come on the market.
On the hill it was excellent with fast response.We tried Anquet and Memory Map both good.The conditions were pretty bad with heavy rain/mist etc and had no problem.I used a friends Otterbox which kept it dry and have ordered one of these.
Battery life was very good and no extra charging was needed other than when in use in the car.
Good Luck in th Lakes.

Terry
akribie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 18, 2008 7:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want good flexibility when out and about and easy charging, you can do a lot worse than buy one of the U20 battery units from http://www.gpsforless.co.uk/search.php?st=category|Mitac%20Mio%20Accessories.

The U20 comes with a mains charging lead and you can charge the PDA at the same time as charging the battery. So you get the best of both worlds - tidy mains charging system and lots of running time away from power. I ran an A201 continuously on U20 power using the GPS in a coach for 7 hours and still had lots of life left without starting on internal battery.

I also did a test with the bigger I-UP S400 unit and got 16-19 hours of continuous screen-on GPS before reverting to internal battery on the A201. I would guess that it will last even longer on a P560, which seems to use less battery life per hour on GPS than the A201.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Navigon Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: