Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - No Mapshare updates since....
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

No Mapshare updates since....
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chrisjr wrote:
So what exactly is the point of having Map Corrections if you cannot see them? Or am I doing something silly (quite possible Very Happy )

The point about Mapshare is you tell TT what's wrong with the map, they (might) put it right on the next map, they (will certainly) sell the next map to you.

For your own (and other's) "immediate" benefit, you can block or unblock a street/road, you can reverse the direction of traffic and you can change its name. These three changes are recorded on your map and will be recorded onto other people's maps by Mapshare updates (if they accept changes made by you). You can also do things with their POIs, but as I wouldn't touch their POIs with a bargepole, I dunno what.

The remaining stuff "Report other error" you're passing to TT for the benefit of their (maybe) next map. Sales hype - it sounds great when you're doing it, but you get a warm feeling and nobody notices (like that joke). Cool I suppose it's a bit like reporting faults to their support team, except you don't get completely off the wall replies.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
chrisjr
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now why am I not surprised that TomTom make no mention of this rather relevant fact on their website? I mean if you read the blurb on there then you could be forgiven for thinking you could make ANY corrections to the map and see them appear regardless.

Oh and I have no idea what they do with POI corrections either. I tried a few of those (see the thread about Inaccurate POIs) and it made a real mess. But then again the only POIs I have turned on normally are the PocketGPS World Speed cameras Very Happy

And don't talk to me about the so called Support Team! I have been on the wrong end of that (long story for another time perhaps) Evil or Very Mad
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't be bothered to look up their blurb at the moment, but on QVC one day they were saying that you get the benefit of map corrections sent in by "millions" of Tom Tom users. Now whilst this is on UK telly, they obviously for starters are not going to remind you that some of the corrections will be for Hong Kong, or Nepal. But grant them the right to say "You must obviously be able to work that out for yourself", they don't try to dissuade you from thinking that when I submit a roundabout, you'll get it on your map within hours, when you submit a new ring road, I'll get it in hours. There is a small matter of credibility here. You know (I hope) and I know, that new features like roundabouts and roads need more work than that. But there must be an awful lot of mortals out there who DON'T and who are going to be disappointed in short order.

mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 7:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The last batch of updates I did on one of my devices was to add ten POI for the following categories Police, Doctor and Chemist.
My very latest map has some (but not all) of these changes within the POI file, however the names are spelt wrong and the telephone numbers I submitted (for each location I added) have mostly been deleted - I have said this before, MapShare is a great idea but sadly let down by poor implementation - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suspect they ignored your corrections Mike, and just happened to get some of them from the normal sources they use, which seems to be a few "local search" websites from what I've discovered (typos that have been copied verbatim, for example).
rbecking
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd not connected my tomtom one xl to my pc for a few weeks so tonight decided to check for updates, it said map sharing corrections not been updated for 6 weeks, 6000+ waiting, clicked on update but it didn't download anything and said it was up to date. Tried removing both lots of corrections from device, now says device not been updated for 25 weeks and 16,466 corrections waiting but again when I clcik update it says its up to date, any ideas? Its map 710.
SSR
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Had the exact same problem with my wife's TomTom One XL.

Asked TomTom Support, and they gave a whole load of obvious troubleshooting e.g. making sure to join for updates!

I'd love to say I found a solution, but after asking TomTom and then connecting the One XL it suddenly started to download updates. Curiously I often have to update twice before it says there aren't any more updates; updating the updates?

Dissappointed to hear that some updates won't show up anyway e.g. missing streets. We're in a new estate with lots of missing roads, and I was hoping to be able to draw the thing on the map.
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, for poops and grins, I obtained the D/A/CH 715 map, looked up my ole hometown which is infamous for having a couple of churches, but three dozen bars and restaurants. Sure enough, the only "restaurant" listed in the POI list is the freaking McDonald's one town over! Shocked

So I went to the German yellow pages and manually entered a bunch of these restaurants via MapShare. Now, if anybody with a somewhat corresponding map would like to update his One via TomTom Home and see if /these/ show up? German town of Rudolstadt, shiv'nplait.

I just want to know if anyone profits from the contributions by "millions of users" or if it's all just so much bulldookey.
alexn73
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 24, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Western_and_Central_Europe.mms Reply with quote

Hi everybody!

I'm new to this forum. I need some help. My teelphone's lost somehow the following extension "Western_and_Central_Europe.mms" and I'm not able to use my GPS in the Western European countries.
Can somebody to send this "mms" in an e-mail -carat@chello.hu- for me?
Many thanks with regards. Alex
JohnCBarnes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Tom Tom Map Share - disenchanted Reply with quote

I went to a great deal of trouble entering a 12 week road closure of A36 near Bath which had the knock on effect of closing a number of minor roads to avoid "rat runs" being established.
I ran the updates a few times after the closure date I had entered...nothing. So I contacted Tom Tom. Their response "Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support

The feedback you provide us is added to our database, and if confirmed by other users, will be added to the MapShare corrections. Until TomTom has verified any corrections you have provided us, you will not see these corrections as updates.

This process does take some time.

So I contacted them again with a link to The Highways Agency Website covering the closure.

Their reply"Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support.

We would like to thank you for your feedback regarding your Tom Tom.

At TomTom we take all customer comments, feedback and suggestions seriously and therefore we have passed your comments on to our 2nd Line team, Product Management and Marketing Team."

Oh well at least I tried!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Tom Tom Map Share - disenchanted Reply with quote

JohnCBarnes wrote:
I went to a great deal of trouble entering a 12 week road closure of A36 near Bath which had the knock on effect of closing a number of minor roads to avoid "rat runs" being established.
You and I are different, then - I would not have shared this with TomTom, simply because it's not a permanent closure. Yes, I bet it will cause me some grief one day during the next three months, but I personally don't believe in sending in temporary roadworks closures. But I'll still spare a thought for the poor residents of Midford, Hinton Charterhouse and Norton St Philip after seeing their traffic on TV. I'm still waiting for a job call to go that way to see what TomTom Traffic RDS-TMC has to say about it. I suppose I could test it with a demo route to your town.

On the assumption that you are not alone in wanting to submit that closure, I'm surprised TomTom haven't had more submissions from the numbers of vehicles using that route.

stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JohnCBarnes ......All us southern Couriers from Dorset already use Bradford-on-Avon to get to J18 M4....I have blocked the A36 myself for my TomTom only...NOT Shared..As already discussed with DennisN some weeks ago...I will have to plan a slightly different route north now, probably via Swindon. But I expect the Highways Authorities will have all the alternatives covered by Temp Road works, Re-surfacing etc.... Evil or Very Mad

Shame really, B-On-A is a lovely place. Smile
nmbaker
Banned

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:08 pm    Post subject: MapShares Reply with quote

A while back in Fulwood near Preston there were some temporary road closures that affected a lot of commuters and I reported through mapshare. The routes to go and come from home to work changed and reroutes worked fine, but roads in Bolton that have been blocked to allow parking have never seems to succeed. I have started to add Google Earth overlays in the raster directory showing new roads and roundabouts etc. Seems with all TT's marketing hype and not providing what they say just continues. However, I did notice a route change tonight on my way back from work which was different and I wonder if the latest update from last night is starting to use IQRoutes, because it was correct (first time ever) because of traffic delays and traffic delays at that time of day.

After a long period of not getting any updates for maps, just recently, all my maps have been updated, though none of the POIs.

If you check on Eastern Europe Map for Bucharest, you should see Aeroportul Baneasa (Baneasa Airport) I added that. I see on my Central and Western Europe and Eastern Europe maps.

Sorry for waffling. Us northerners actually get dry from our monthly bath (whether we need it or not) by the friction we cause southern jessies. EEE by gum lad
TTCams latest 19/05/09 Traffic - live
SDHC 16GB
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Re: MapShares Reply with quote

nmbaker wrote:
Sorry for waffling. Us northerners actually get dry from our monthly bath (whether we need it or not) by the friction we cause southern jessies. EEE by gum lad
DennisN has a rather different method of drying off though Laughing - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stuart wrote:
I expect the Highways Authorities will have all the alternatives covered by Temp Road works, Re-surfacing etc.... Evil or Very Mad

Shame really, B-On-A is a lovely place. Smile
I couldn't even get out of Keynsham this morning - dodging last night's excavations I ran into all the rest, aggravated by a driver who crunched everything trying to find reverse for a three point turn, then crunched it all again trying to find a forward gear.

And yes, B-o-A is a lovely spot.
nmbaker wrote:
Us northerners actually get dry from our monthly bath (whether we need it or not) by the friction we cause southern jessies. EEE by gum lad
Speak for thissen laddie - see my signature!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 4 of 5

Jump to: