Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Replacement for Mio 168?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Replacement for Mio 168?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:48 pm    Post subject: Replacement for Mio 168? Reply with quote

I couldn't find a better place for this question.
I have just had a coming together of water and my Mio 168. Embarassed The Mio didn't like it up it, and the touch screen has stopped working Sad .
I'm trying the on the radiator drying out trick, but don't hold out much hope. Having drivelled on about my problems, I'll come to the point. I would like some advice suggesting a suitable replacement PDA. The various specs are a minefield, and some personal input from someone who has one would be good.

My spec is pretty simple, a PPC, with onboard Starlll GPS Rx, capable of running, amongst other things such as office mobile, the IGO 2008 software (I liked the Mio version of IGO on my 168), gpsdash, Speed sentry et al.
TIA
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 7:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you haven't done so allready take the battery out of the 168, it stands a better chance of recovery with the cell not fitted.

As for modern PDA based device, have you considered a PDA based mobile phone with built in GPS? there are a few about these days and whilst some are not SiRF-III they work just as well - Mike
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 8:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Mike. I'll get out the soldering iron now (if needed).
Not convinced with phones and PDAs. I have a Nokia 3310 so you can see how my mobile phone stakes are in the stone age.
Enough already, get out the soldering iron and try again.

Trev
5 more and you'r up to 10,000 posts
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Been there, done that, with my Mio P350.

First time I over 'squirted' some windolene on the screen and thanks to advice from this forum, battery out, leave on a radiator etc. it worked.

Then I'd left it in the bathroom and my wife splashed it, my fault evidently, and I went through the same proceedure with success, although bottom left of touch screen was sometimes 'iffy'.

The third time it happened, too near the kitchen sink, my fault again, but after drying out, the touch screen still wouldn't work. Plus I could see residue under the screen to get under it.

I removed the SD Card and battery and started to take it apart. Unfortunately I couldn't find a way of seperating the touch screen.

I partially reassembled it and thought 'Kill or cure'. I ran the cold water tap a little and held it, touch screen up, until I saw water covering the whole of the underside of the screen. I shook it about several times and then used my wife's hairdryer, on medium heat, and went all over and under it. Most of the moisture disappeared within about 5 minutes or so leaving just the odd minute 'blob' of water, which spread when touched. Using a tissue on my finger I eased the remaining moisture to the edges of the screen and left it on the 'mantlepiece' above the fire for about 3 hours.

Reinserted battery and SD Card, switched on and Y-E-S!!! Works perfectly.

I know it's April 1st but it's no joke and worth a try before 'binning' it.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK guys. Left it on the radiator all day with battery removed. Replaced battery. Still no joy.
The funny thing is that when it comes up with the 'Tap the screen to align the screen' (or whatever) the tap works and the screen switches to the first alignment cross in the middle. It don't go any further tho'. No other response to the screen tap. Is there a way past this to see if anything else works?
Any other ideas lads, or should I phone my insurance company. If so, my first question about a replacement would be kind of good.
I had a Mio 550 for a couple of days and found the power switch to be such a problem that I sent it back under the distance buying rules.
Suggestions would be good, thanks.

Trev
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2008 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

New day, New resuts.
Switched it on this morning and all works again. Very Happy Very Happy It seems that time and being on the rad overnight fixed it. Just have to load my S/W now and don't get it wet again.
Confused
Now I've been there and got the T shirt Embarassed

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: