Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom RDS-TMC only showing 1 minute delay?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom RDS-TMC only showing 1 minute delay?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

M25 J1 Dartford Tolls. Today between 14:00-15:00.

Showed 1 min delay Laughing Out Loud

Not something to get excited about is it?

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny_D wrote:

JD

Hah! BUT today, Bristol, M4 to J13, Newbury A34/M3 to Southampton, 10.4 miles of single lane closure, 91 minutes delay. There was NO lane closure even!

Then return Southampton, A36, Salisbury, Keynsham. two "incidents" 130 minutes delay. The only problem was the usual Salisbury traffic minor nightmare which was exaggerated by my favourite rat run (Petersfinger road) round it being closed. Cost me 10 minutes.

Some time ago, M3 inbound showed 1 min delay when the motorway had already been closed since 6am and remained closed until about 1pm.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
alanwalne
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

karlak wrote:
My concern is that with Traffic HD 'around the corner' that TomTom may forget about the TMC issue. THey will ofcourse want and prefer people to pay more for the new HD service. I wonder how many people have been trying to resolve the TMC issue v's the number working on and Marketing HD Rolling Eyes

It may be that if you give TT a hard enough time that you will get a years free Traffic subscription for the Phone (which does seem much more reliable) -

I was told by TT on Tuesday that I was the first person to complain about coverage and reception with the new TMC receiver, after looking at this site, I am some what surprised. They are sending me a new shoe for my 710 and they say if that does not work that there is nothing more they can do and that I should write in and complain to TT customer services in Holland.
The problem I had with the GPRS service is that my network (3) and TT disagree who is at fault for no connections. Also I use the TT 710 as my handsfree (which it is very good at) and the traffic interferes with that.
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got on my high horse again and complained about the one minute delay. Below is Tomtoms response. They just won't listen. I am beginning to believe they will not resolve this and hope we all buy HD Traffic.

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support regarding the RDS-TMC Receiver.

Please make sure that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is firmly plugged into the socket on the mount, or on the base of the TomTom device. When in the RDS/TMC Status Screen (tap on the Traffic bar on the right side of the screen) or TomTom Traffic menu, please check to see if the software is scrolling through radio stations. If it is scrolling through frequencies and radio stations it is an indication that the receiver is working, however it is unable to lock onto a useable FM frequency. It is particularly important that the RDS-TMC Traffic Receiver is positioned correctly. The receiver cable must be stretched out entirely, as it is the cable itself that functions as an antenna and which receives the RDS-TMC signal.

If you know the frequency of a local radio station that transmits RDS-TMC information, you can try tuning to this specific frequency. Please go to the "RDS/TMC Status Screen" by tapping on the traffic bar on the right side of the screen when in the main navigation view. Then click on the "Tune RDS/TMC" icon and enter the frequency. Please note that there needs to be a route planned in order to use this functionality.

If you have tried to "Tune" into a frequency but with no result then the RDS-TMC receiver may not be functioning appropriately. Please try and adjust the location of the receiver to a position where a stronger signal is received. Please also test the receiver outside of the car for a few minutes to verify that it is able to receive a signal.

If the receiver still does not receive a usable signal please re-install the latest software update, version 7.xx or higher, through TomTom HOME.

If the receiver does not receive a signal at all, not even outside the car, then please let us know and we will book the RDS-TMC receiver and the car docking shoe in for repair to get them tested and replaced if necessary.

Please note that TMC information is transmitted through conventional FM radio broadcasts. The source of the RDS-TMC traffic information, and the radio stations and organizations responsible for the transmission of the signal, vary for every country and region in which the service is available. Additionally, the strength of the radio signal that is transmitted locally can vary greatly, depending on the proximity to an FM transmitter mast and its transmission strength.

A limitation of TMC technology is therefore that in certain local areas it may not be possible to receive a useable RDS-TMC signal.

Please note that the Content of the RDS TMC traffic information is provided to you by the local radio stations and TomTom is not responsible for the Data supplied by the Radio Stations.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that entire response is pure TT tech support copy and paste standard answer close call quickly hope you go away.

They have already admitted it is a v7 software bug, so telling you to update to the lates v7 software is laughable.

It seems that all of the developement time since December has gone in to Navcore 8, as evidenced by the beta test running in January for the IQ routing.

I doubt if there will be any more Navcore 7 updates, we will have to wait until Navcore 8 is out for this to be fixed. Under the sale of goods act they are on dodgy ground as the unit cannot recelculate routes as advertised on the box when it sees delays as either 1 minute or something ridiculous like 170 minutes.

What further compounds this is it works fine with Navcore 6, with the same hardware, as anyone who has upgraded a x10 to Navcore 7 will be able to confirm.

Funny how the GPRS data is correct (almost) with delay calculation under Navcore 7 but the RDS isn't.

Andy
wazzzzupmate
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 9:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your response is a longer version of my reply to their answer. I now await their response again.
PicklesDad
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 12:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Johnny_D wrote:

JD

I've seen these a lot on trips around the M25, bit pointless really.

I was traveling anticlockwise up to the Dartford Tolls at rush hour on the same day (6th) and got several announcements the traffic had changed, but no visual congestion icons on the vertical line. The radio had already announced congestion at Dartford and once I reached it the TomTom then changed the road pattern. Strange it didn't warn me ahead of time though with an icon on the vertical line.

PD
erikthecat
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:35 am    Post subject: that could be true.... Reply with quote

"I was told by TT on Tuesday that I was the first person to complain about coverage and reception with the new TMC receiver, after looking at this site, I am some what surprised."

i'm not surprised. i've tried to submit on the tom tom site, wrote a nice long rant, but when i went into TT's website to see if my question had a reply, there was no sign of my original question:(

i couldn't be bothered to ask again.

it could be that everyone is just relying on someone else asking / reporting? but then again probably not.

so we wait in the traffic jams, cursing TT the whole time!
so when it comes time to upgrade the sat nav we may look elsewhere,
but then again what would be get instead?!

yours waiting and hoping,

GaRy:(
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say your support experience falls in to one of two possibilities:

1/ The TT person was new and it was their first day on the job, so technically they were telling the truth

2/ The TT person was telling porkies, possibly reading from a screen.

RDS-TMC has been problematic since its introduction, it is fair to say the latest receiver is considerably better than the previous versions, but there are still large areas where coverage is patchy at best. Once you have obtained reception there is the issue of quality of the data, this to could do with a wake up call, we have seen steady improvements but there is still a very long way to go in this area.

If you are thinking about alternates I wouldn't pay too much interest in RDS-TMC as all the ones I have tried perform poorly while in the UK, Navman is about the best RDS device, Garmin and TomTom are about the same. For reliable TMC look for a device that can use GPRS via your mobile phone, for example this is available from TomTom at a premium rate, or Route 66 where you get it free for life - Mike
jonfieldsend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: New TomTom Application Reply with quote

I've just connected my GO 520 to my PC and been instructed to download the latest Tom Tom application for the 520/720/920. Will this cure the TMC problems? Time for some testing.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a read through This Thread for a heads up on what the new software version will offer, I suggest you spend some time reading it before bothering, also take a full Windows Explorer backup prior to upgrading just in case you decide its not for you - Mike
Cainam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently logged a call with TomTom, asking how I could go back to V6 of the software as the 1 minute delay problem with the TMC was driving me crazy.

The response I got was that the 1 minute delay problem was "this is not a known issue."

I cannot believe this is true...I even pointed them to this thread to let them know I was not the only one!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What device are you using, the easy way to roll back to a previous (earlier) version is to install a backup to the device - Mike
Cainam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a Go 510. While I admit I SHOULD have had a backup, a recent change of PC's meant the backup file has been misplaced somewhere.

I have it working now though. For anybody else interested, this is what I did

1) Uninstalled TomTom Home2 on my PC
2) Downloaded TomTom Home 1.5.106 from the following link
http://download.tomtom.com/sweet/application/latest/TomTomHOMEwinlatest.exe

(Note: this is the latest version of TomTom Home (1.5.106), and NOT the latest version of TomTom Home2)
3) Within TomTom Home, I backed up my device
4) I then REMOVED the TomTom application from the TomTom (it gives you a warning as obviously this is the critical application)
5) I then downloaded the updates for my device, and it downloaded V6.525

Sorted!
stevea100
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For what it is worth this is my recent TMC experience.
I purchased the new TMC receiver in January and like everyone else had better reception and my one XL Europe displayed the now well documented one minute delay. The strange thing is while I was travelling through Europe recently I got reports of multiple incidents displayed on the side bar and timings of greater than one minute. However I am not convinced that the delay times where accurate.
What really concerns me about this problem though is the safety aspect of the TomTom announcing new traffic information has been received. In the UK it only displays a single incident, yet when I go into the content there could be three or more events. The safety aspect is I am finding it very difficult to resist taping the side bar and looking at the reported incidents whilst driving and I am sure I am not the only one. I would consider like a previous post going back to Navcore 6 but my unit must have shipped with an early version of Navcore 7, so that is not an easy option, is it?
For safety’s sake TomTom really need to release the fix to this problem. I for one cannot trust myself to use the receiver in real time safely, so it’s staying in the box in the house.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: