Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GTM21 traffic issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GTM21 traffic issues
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nocturnal1965
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i brought a garmin 610t the other week and maybe im just one of the lucky ones as the traffic reports worked great,but the mapping had roads missing off it and it liked to take me down b roads if it could and motorways even though i had this option turned off,so i took it back and got a tomtom v3 which works dandy
DS_ROBB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:14 pm    Post subject: M25 West Reply with quote

"It sounds like you are using the Western section of the M25 - this is a large TMC blackspot for Trafficmaster, so you won't get a signal there."

Definately true. I drive from Amersham to Sunbury every day and join the M40 at J2 and then drive M25 from J16 to J12 and then M3 to J1 and not a hint of a signal the entire way.
Katabatics
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 8:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Katabatics"]
Swing wrote:
It sounds like you are using the Western section of the M25 - this is a large TMC blackspot for Trafficmaster, so you won't get a signal there."

I would like to challenge Swing's comment above. I had to drive to Oxford from Chichester, so came back via the M40/M25/A3 south. I had a constant signal on the western M25. The only period of lost signal (apart from temporary blinking Yellow or short period of a minute or two (probably due to temporary blanking or transitions from one transmitter to another where the overlap is not perfect) was from Jnct 2 of the M40 to about a mile before the M40/M25 interchange. Over the whole journey, apart from above, the signal was constant.

I would only expect the lack of signal to occur if you are using the Garmin string ariel, where any period of signal is the high point of the journey. As I understand how the software works, it constantly polls through a number of channels. If it loses the signal, it does take a minute or two for the poling to re-establish onto the next signal channel, unless it has already locked onto the next signal. Given that the data is coming via Classic FM, in conjunction with local stations, I would never expect 100% continuous signal. Even if there is a loss for 5/10 minutes on a journey, the unit retains the traffic info and as soon as the signal is re-established it will update.

I can only stress again that I my opinion, the mod to use your car ariel to drive the signal is the solution. It avoids any windscreen and internal electrics interference problems and uses a powerful ariel.

Again, hope this helps.
DS_ROBB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 29, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Aerial Reply with quote

I have cut back the 'wet piece of string' on the Garmin and reattached a new aerial from Maplin (QT30H) miniscan to see if that works. If not, I'll splice in to the radio aerial, but wanted to keep them separate if possible.

I'm driving back to work on Monday along the 'signal of death' corridoor, so hopefully it will work. Will let you know, and thanks for the support/advice.

Regards
Duncan
DS_ROBB
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2008 10:57 pm    Post subject: Success Reply with quote

I went to work today down the usual route of A355, M40 J2, round M25 J16 to J12 and then M3 to J1 and with my new Maplin Aerial I got 100% coverage all the way. Green LED the entire journey and traffic on my Sat Nav.

It was simple to do, I simply cut the Garmin 'wet string' aerial as close as I could to the plastic molding giving me enough wire to strip it and attach/solder it to a BNC connector. Then I attached the Maplin Aerial (which has a BNC Connector) to it. Put the Aerial (magentic base) on the roof and hey presto.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, works a treat now.
Katabatics
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am really pleased it works, now you can enjoy what you paid for.
electric_star
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 11:58 pm    Post subject: gtm 21 / nuvi 610t Reply with quote

I ahve the nuvi 610t and gtm21. All i can say is that it takes a lot of time for the tmc to pick any kind of signal. I have just returned from a trip from heathrow T3 to SE 27. Its only when i reached Clapham that it picked up the signal (15 mins from home). the overall journey time was around 1 hour.
Appalling !!!
Meter_Man
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2010 2:38 pm    Post subject: GTM21 Traffic Issues Reply with quote

Of late, my traffic reception had been a bit hit and miss until one day it died completely.

Quite by accident I was tucking the lead back into the rubber strip around the door and the traffic came back - I suspected the aerial lead inner conductor had broken just where it leaves the shoulder; carefully removing the outer insulation confirmed this.

There was a 3mm end of the cable coming out of the GTM21 case so soldered the aerial to this, insulated the connection and taped the aerial to the power lead for about 1.5 inches to stop it breaking again.

I now have traffic data pretty well all the time although yesterday I was already in the jam on the M42 when it announced the delay!
kaydee2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2010 1:08 am    Post subject: Re: Success Reply with quote

DS_ROBB wrote:
I went to work today down the usual route of A355, M40 J2, round M25 J16 to J12 and then M3 to J1 and with my new Maplin Aerial I got 100% coverage all the way. Green LED the entire journey and traffic on my Sat Nav.

It was simple to do, I simply cut the Garmin 'wet string' aerial as close as I could to the plastic molding giving me enough wire to strip it and attach/solder it to a BNC connector. Then I attached the Maplin Aerial (which has a BNC Connector) to it. Put the Aerial (magentic base) on the roof and hey presto.

Thanks to everyone for the advice, works a treat now.

Sorry to ask such a basic, but did you just solder the garmin wire direct to the bnc 'pin', and which end of the 'string' - the plastic blob on the end or near the mid wire box where the 'wet string' comes out near the power lead?
Thanks.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 13, 14, 15
Page 15 of 15

Jump to: