Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom Go - speed camera POI wont work
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom Go - speed camera POI wont work
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonymole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:59 am    Post subject: Tomtom Go - speed camera POI wont work Reply with quote

Hi All

I have a Tomtom Go (the original one) which I have never used - even though I have had it for about 3 years.

I thought I'd use it and load the speed camera POI database on it - so I duly paid my £19 and downloaded the Tomtom database as this is listed as being compatible with the tomtom Go. Extracted the files into the Great Britain map folder and it doesnt list any cameras. It doesnt even list them as a tyoe of POI in the list!!

Any ideas?

Incidentally the software version on my unit is 4.210

Thanks
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tony,

Well the good news is that the database is 100% compatible with your unit so we need to establish where you have gone awry in the install.

Can you check the map folder on your GO, do you see a number of files that have name along the lines of pocketgps_uk-sc.ov2 and pocketgps_uk-sc.bmp?

Also, did you follow the install guide here?

Report back and we'll get you sorted Very Happy
tonymole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren

Thanks for helping - yes I followed the instructions and in the map folder I now see dozens of ov2 & bmp files as I have extracted several of the databases including the all-in-one file and the categorized version.

I am pretty familiar with the tomtom setup as I have been using v5 on my PDA since it came out and of course have the speed camera POI installed successfully on this. To be honest I am sure I have made a simple mistake - probably so simple that I am overlooking it.

Any help appreciated
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

in which case can you tell me how many POIs you have in the map folder? Just count the poiname.ov2 files?

There is a limit and on your version it was very low, IIRC about 29 individual POI categories.

If you have more than this then it starts randomly dropping POIs and could explain your issue.

Also, which database did you install?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

He seems to have installed them all, Darren... Laughing

Assuming this is the problem, Tony, you might want to try updating your (very old) software to a newer version, which will increase the number of POI categories you are allowed to at least 100.
Come back with your thoughts and we can discuss which version might be best for you and how best to achieve it.
tonymole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren/Andy

I have installed the following files;

Admin Edit: .Zip File Names Removed

They were installed in the order listed above - i.e. after installing the first and nothing listed, I then installed the second and ditto for the third.

Obviously by installing only 1 initially I would have been below the 29 limit threshold!

This has meant that I know have 32 files called xxxxxx.ov2 stored in the Great-Britain-Map folder on the SD card. Interestingly there is no other ov2 files anywhere on the card - although on the tt unit under POI's it lists all the usual things like petrol stations, parking etc. I must admit I have not checked to see if any of these show any POIs on the map when ticked.

Andy - you mention updating the software, this is something I would be keen to do, but to be honest the unit is actually my Mothers and I am trying to get her to use it as it was very expensive when I bought it for her. That said, I dont really want to have to pay to upgrade the firmware to the latest version as she will not benefit from it. However if TT offer a free upgrade to a later version of the software (perhaps not to the very latest which I know they will charge for) which is likely to help then please do let me know where I can download this from and I will do so.

Again - thanks for the effort
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've removed the file names as they are the archive file names and not relevant to the discussion. What i wanted to know was which database you had installed i.e. single file, consolidated or speed-zoned?

I'm guessing you chose speed-zoned?

If you've installed the same database type each time then the files would simply overwrite each other, the .zip files have different names as part of our download system only. Installing the same database three times would not create three times the number of files.
tonymole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren

I started with the "UK - Speed Zoned Complete" file, then added the "UK - Consolidated by type (Gatso, Mobile, etc)" file and lastly added the "UK - Single File with all cameras" file in a bid to get it working.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ok. In which case I'd backtrack, remove all the PocketGPS files in the map folder and start afresh, this time with just the on POI type!

Download, unzip and copy into the map folder. Then report back if it doesn't work.

The limit we refer to is for custom POIs only, the pre-installed POIs such as Petrol Stations etc do not count against this limit.
tonymole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 3:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren

Thanks - I'll have to try this tonight when I get home as I am accessing my PC from the office but the ttgo is not connected, so I cannot access it from here. I have been looking on the TT website and may try using tomtom home to see if it will let me upgrade the basic unit at all.

I could do with this unit as I am going on a long journey tomorrow and have nicked the SD card from my PDA based solution to use in this and wont have time to set it all up again!

I'll post the outcome when I can - hopefully later tonight.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Custom POI limit in V4 was 27. Shocked

I have, on my Web Page, V6.525 which works OK with the Classic.

If you want to go that path, it has a Custom POI limit of 100.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
tonymole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Oldboy

Thanks for the info - are the updates you link to OK to install on this unit? (v6.525) By that I mean are they free?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 5:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, all software updates are free.

The reason I hesitated to give instructions straight away, was that to update to the latest version (v7) using TomTom Home, you will need to update in several steps (this is just a stupid limitation of the Home software, not with your machine, by the way).

However, you can get to v6.525 in one jump by using the archive files on Oldboy's site.
well worth doing and very easy, there's a text file in the download that explains it.
tonymole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Andy - I'll report later
tonymole
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks - but the txt file is not in the zip file - can you let me know what to do with the files please.

In the zip are;

install.bif
data.chk
libaec.so
ttsystem
system

And thats the lot.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: