Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom 920
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom 920

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 12:12 am    Post subject: Tom Tom 920 Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Can you help. I've just bought a 920T following the loss of my 710 to young persons with sticky fingers and the review of the 920 by Darren on the forum.

Anyway, I followed the instructions, loaded on the Tom Tom home software etc from the CD and then placed my new unit onto the dock. It was detected correctly and then went to Tom Tom Home to check for any updates. Here's where it all goes Pete Tong. I never saw the update choice screen as Darren did. All I got was a message saying the software neded upgrading which I agreed to.

My computer seemed to stick here for ages. I then got a message saying in order to set things right I needed to disconnect the unit, re-connect it and tap yes if prompted by the unit. This I duly did only to get a message saying" this version of navigation software does not work on your device model" ???????????? I'm wondering if when they say disconnect the device they mean you should use the " safely remove hardware icon". If so, the instructions do not say this.

I've spent hours trying to backup and restore only to get error code after error code. I've had a flashing cross on the unit and followed Tom Tom's web site advice with still more error codes. I'm guessing the unit is knackered now. I tried to follow the advice on the review about backing everything thing up before changing things and that didn't work. Something about an "antitheftw: the parameter is invalid" or something.

Basically I'm stuffed. This is why I never docked or updated my 710. If it goes wrong I'm snookered. If anyone has some thoughts about what I can do I would appreciate it and if anyone lives near Bracknell perhaps they could show me what the right way is.

Yours in hope and bewilderment.

Tony
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm reading that you did not do (or did not get chance to do) a backup before this disaster?

A very quick, simple answer is to take it back to the shop and say it doesn't work, give me another that does. THEN come back home, do nothing about Home, simply sit the device into the dock, plug it in, switch it on and do NOT let Home run. THEN using Windows Explorer, copy everything off the unit to a directory on your PC. Then disconnect (by selecting Safely remove hardware). Then switch on again, answer all the setup questions, then sit it on the dock again, switch it on and let Home start and go ahead from there. The correct way to disconnect from Home is to select Device, Disconnect Device and wait until it all stops - it'll say it is now safe to disconnect, but DON 'T do it, leave it on the dock and simply allow the device to reboot, then when it asks if you want to connect to computer, tap NO. You can safely switch off and take it off the mount after it has rebooted to a map page.

Now, is all that worth me typing, or did you get it off the internet? In which case, try the same return business with them.

It is not for me to advise you to be a sneaky person, but in either case, I'd recommend you avoid saying you've been jiggering about with it, simply you came home to find it dead on the doormat.

No more comment for the moment, don't want to overwhelm you - how does the above strike you?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
rover220
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:

A very quick, simple answer is to take it back to the shop and say it doesn't work, give me another that does.

i did that after i cocked my one 3rd ed up.

works a treat Laughing Out Loud.
Nascar98
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks,

Thanks for the replies. I took my unit back today and got a refund. I'm probably going to buy another one tomorrow and get a fresh receipt. I have to say I am more than concerned about putting it anywhere near my PC and just running it as is from the box. I really want to try and be able to do the updates etc but the thought of it going pear shaped again really bugs me. When I tried yesterday, the unit/programme automatically went to Tom Tom Home. I wasn't aware you could stop it. My Pc also started "autoplay" with the little torch icon looking for something. Any clues about that?

It seems the instructions from Tom Tom about disconnecting the device are less than clear. If you need to use "safely remove hardware" or the Tom Tom toolbar instructions, then that is where it goes wrong as it doesn't specifically state this. Not everyone ie me is a computer buff who would know these things.

Anyway, I'll get another tomorrow and see what occurs. If you hear about a man losing the plot and thrashing a Sat Nav device with a branch a la Faulty Towers, you'll know it went t***s up again and I'll be on here looking for solace.

Oh well, here goes.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That autoplay is "normal" for Windows to consider when you connect another drive - the TT device looks like another disk drive if you don't start TT Home, so Windows checks to see what you want to do about it. Don't bother about it - if it gives you a window with choices, simply select the "Do Nothing" and uncheck the box which says "Do this every time for this device" (or something) - you can't do any harm if you tell it not to do anything!!

This is Home - Tools - Home Preferences.

I have two items selected here, Start Home automatically when my computer starts is as it says - when I switch on the computer, Home loads onto my status bar - bottom right, the two hands icon. This makes Home fire up automatically when you connect your TT device to the computer. I can handle this because I'm used to it - I stop it doing anything before it can hurt me! If you leave that box unchecked, it won't start like that - whenever you want to start TT Home, you'll have to go to Start ...All Programs and select TT Home. - "Recommended" is recommended by TomTom - it's NOT recommended by many of us here, notably MikeAlder who is a good guy to listen to!!

Notice I also do not have the Check for updates box ticked either - that lets me choose whether or not to let Home work its "magic", so that I can choose to check for updates, then which updates to accept. All these automatic "recommended" settings are great for a combination of total computer illiterates AND completely brilliant computer software. You must by now have realised that at least the second is not an accurate description of Home, nor indeed the GO software!

I find that a riding crop and a good swear word dictionary beat the Basil Fawlty branch (economy of effort and sweat). Very Happy

dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dennis...

Can you explain why you feel it is not a good idea to manually start TTHome after the unit is connected to the computer? I have a shortcut to TTHome on my desktop. Simply double click it and the application starts.

I see no need to start TTHome when the computer boots up since I don't use Home on a daily basis. But I am with you about unchecking the 'Check for updates' automatically.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Dennis...

Can you explain why you feel it is not a good idea to manually start TTHome after the unit is connected to the computer? I have a shortcut to TTHome on my desktop. Simply double click it and the application starts.

I see no need to start TTHome when the computer boots up since I don't use Home on a daily basis. But I am with you about unchecking the 'Check for updates' automatically.

Sorry, did I say it confusedly? In my case, I do have Home set to load automatically when PC boots up - I'm lazy, so I like it available in my sys tray, rather than START All progs etc. But when it fires automatically on connecting a TT device, I ignore it and move over to Windows Explorer, leaving it in the background just in case I fancy looking for an update of Mapshare stuff. I have it auto loaded at boot up of PC because I actually rarely switch off my computer and keeping it in sys tray is "convenient", so if it didn't load automatically, it'd be a pain to get it going. (Remember, at my age, every second counts Laughing ). I used to use Home every day for Mapshare and QuickGPSFix (three devices), but since abandoning QGPSF and getting 7.480 I'm hardly bothering with any of them. I sometimes wonder if I wouldn't have been better off just using them out of the box and never updating anything!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: