Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - New Safety Camera Icon Sets Available - 44x44 Pixel Options
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

New Safety Camera Icon Sets Available - 44x44 Pixel Options
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Create a permanent folder on my computer - which only contains the "new" small icons.
Download the monthly updates and install everything into the map folder without deleting any BMP files - then copy over to the map folder the contents of your "small icon" directory ie on top of the wrong BMP files.
This avoids deleting lots of individual bmp files from the update download every month.

Surely much easier to copy the camera files and new icons to your TomTom once and then just copy over the updated OV2 Camera Files each month and not touch the new icons at all? All done in one move and only overwrites the files that are updated. Otherwise you have to overwrite the new icons, with the old ones and then overwrite them with the new ones again.......

Even deleting the BMP from the download would be quicker than copying the icons over and over again....
joejl
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you for the reply. I am still struggling a bit with why my idea gives me more problems than help - with my worry about overwriting - or deleting - the wrong files by selecting individual files to include - or exclude each month from the download.

PaulB2005 wrote:

Surely much easier to copy the camera files and new icons to your TomTom once and then just copy over the updated OV2 Camera Files each month and not touch the new icons at all?

I don't understand - as I have demonstrated - the best and safest way to simply and efficiently update the TomTom every month. I assumed it was easiest, (with least risky of again deleting the wrong files), for me to install the folder with the whole of the download every month and then coping the whole folder, with all of the "24x24" BMP files from Gerry (stored in the permanent folder in my desktop), on top of the monthly update- two steps and no file selection needed.

PaulB2005 wrote:
All done in one move and only overwrites the files that are updated.

It's this bit I did not/ do not grasp.. can I always safely disregard all other files in the download every month - other than OV2 files. Also "Even deleting the BMP from the download would be quicker than copying the icons over and over again...." if I am only installing the contents of a folder on my computer onto the TomTom every month why is deleting them all quicker.

I am sure I am missing something but not sure what!
JoeL
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 11:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

joejl wrote:
can I always safely disregard all other files in the download every month - other than OV2 files.

Yes you can, and that's what Paul is suggesting.

When you have the latest download sitting on your PC, open up a Windows Explorer window to view the files.
If you want, you can click on the column heading "Type" to arrange the various files in that order.
Then it's a simple matter to just select all the .ov2 files with the mouse and select "copy" (either from the "edit" menu at the top or with a right mouse click).

Then browse to your TomTom's map folder (where you stored the database files last time), and select "paste".
Windows will ask if you want to overwrite the files with the same name, just say "yes to all" and you're done. Smile
Jibjob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:44 pm    Post subject: What works on Nuvi 370 Reply with quote

Finally got to sort out what works for the Nuvi 370....
Only the 22x22 or 24x24 icons work, the larger ones for the banner at the top of the screen do not work (down to the Nuvi not the icons).

The only change you have to do is to resize the image for the redlight icon to be square, either 22x22 or 24x24 otherwise it does not display properly Sad

Thanks Gerry! Very Happy
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The only change you have to do is to resize the image for the redlight icon to be square, either 22x22 or 24x24 otherwise it does not display properly

I thought they are already. I didn't have to change anything....
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nope, just the redlight one is rectangular.

As Gerry says on his website:

Quote:
Who said icons had to be square?

Maybe it is just SOME of the Nuvis that have problems with non-squareness?
Jibjob
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
I thought they are already. I didn't have to change anything....

Mmm! The redlight icon was not square 24X17 I think. On the Nuvi 370 the original 'no square' icon did not display properly (see posts on about page 7 from me). Perhaps the 760 works differently???
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I realise now. Laughing Just never noticed....
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, you learn new things when you do this. So some Garmins don't like the rectangular icons Crying or Very sad . To make it easier all round, I've done some square redlight icons on my site now (just after the 22x22 ones) with square 22 and 24 icons. (I've just blamed "Garmin" in general at present as I haven't trawled through to see exactly who is affected - it may not be all Garmin users).

If this is affecting you, just download the standard icon set first then download the relevant extra file to overwrite the redlight icon. It's the same as before - just with the extra padding.

(As usual Darren, grab and update here when you want to - there's an extra paragraph near the top and the download box).

(My site now) wrote:
Who said icons had to be square? (EDIT: Well, Garmin actually - see above.)
Laughing
Brodit ProClip mount
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 'good to be square' icon sets are now replicated here Thumbs Up
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear I have a problem!
Just bought TTG920T to replace my aging TTG700.
Connected to TTHome and updated s/ware to 7.480, updated map and map shares and GPS QuickFix.
All working OK so d/loaded camera database and installed as I used to on my TTG700, i.e. copied ov2, bmp and ogg files to Central & Western Europe map directory.
Then d/loaded Gerry's Icons (24px and 44px), unzipped and copied to the same map directory overwriting the existing bmp files.
When I check Show POI's, sure enough they are all listed and ticked.
Plan a route look at the map and not an icon to be seen anywhere!!
Can anyone offer any help to this 920T newbie?
(only new to the 920T - had a Classic and the 700 for years.)

.....Ken

TT940 Live TTG920T, TTG700, TTG Classic, Nuvi1410
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pushandpull wrote:

When I check Show POI's, sure enough they are all listed and ticked.
Plan a route look at the map and not an icon to be seen anywhere!!
Can anyone offer any help to this 920T newbie?
(only new to the 920T - had a Classic and the 700 for years.)
.....Ken

The process is basically the same for all TomTom as I expect you have assumed. The only thing I can think of at present is to check how many POI categories you have set to show on the map. TomTom has a habit of setting them to show by default. It could be that there's so many icons that the cameras don't get shown. Try "un-showing" all the others and see what happens. Confused

I am working on the understanding that the new icons showed on the "Show POI on map" list.

Have you checked the 7.480 epic thread announcement? There may be something in there.
Brodit ProClip mount
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 1:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for reply Gerry.
Not the number of POIs. The only ones turned on are the PGPS Cameras and one other - McDonalds.
After reading the "Epic thread announcement" you pointed me too I've done like a lot of others and reverted to 7.221 software. Wish I'd seen those posts before opening the box!
Unfortunately I'm still not getting the icons on the map in spite of them being ticked in the "Show POI on map list".
Too tired to think of anything else tonight. Will get to bed and have a fresh look at it tomorrow.
Thanks again.

.....Ken

Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the icons weren't working for some reason, then the TomTom would just display blank red squares instead, so I don't think it is the icons themselves that are the problem here.

As you say that you can see the camera categories in the "show POI on map" set-up page, I'm mystified.

My only two thoughts so far are:
1. You are simply zoomed out too far. Do you see anything if you go to "Browse map"/Find/POI/Choose one of the PGPSW categories/ and pick a single camera at random?

2. Just checking... you aren't expecting to see the BIG icons on the map screen are you? Those are only going to appear as the flashing icon in the top left when you approach a camera position (assuming you have the cameras set to "warn when near")
pushandpull
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 28, 2008 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
My only two thoughts so far are:
1. You are simply zoomed out too far. Do you see anything if you go to "Browse map"/Find/POI/Choose one of the PGPSW categories/ and pick a single camera at random?

2. Just checking... you aren't expecting to see the BIG icons on the map screen are you? Those are only going to appear as the flashing icon in the top left when you approach a camera position (assuming you have the cameras set to "warn when near")

Hi Andy,
Your point 1 DOES work.
Select "Browse map/Find/POI near you". Any POI I then select DOES show the appropriate Icon including Gerry's lovely new Icons which are crystal clear.
So we're getting there. However, on my 700 when I plot a route all Icons in the area covered are displayed. Does the 920T work differently - though I don't see why it should!
Your point 2 - No - I'm aware of that point.
Anyway many thanks Andy. I feel happier knowing that they are in fact there. Will be road-testing it today for the first time so will see what happens then.

Gerry - I think your Icons are great. Lovely and clear, which is important for an oldie like me with "old-age" sight! You've obviously put a lot of work into this and I for one appreciate it.
One question though - is it allowable to use the 24(UK) icons with the 44(European) Icons? I love the fact that you've put the mph/kmh conversion on them but consider the 24(European) too small to read the conversion (my eyesight again!) but with the above configuration I could get the warning from the 24(UK) Icon and read the conversion on the flashing 44(European one.)

Thanks for help so far guys.

.....Ken

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
Page 10 of 14

Jump to: