Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom 1 (version 1)-ancient firmware problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom 1 (version 1)-ancient firmware problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:08 pm    Post subject: Tomtom 1 (version 1)-ancient firmware problem Reply with quote

Hi all,
this is probably a good tester for you TT experts to get your teeth into. I was trying to update the maps on an original TT1 (version1) which was running the very original application (V5 of the application). My dad has never connected it to a PC before, or updated any software on it. TT Home don't work at all and does not connect to the unit. (i am guessing it is the ancient version of the software on the unit that is the problem).

anyway, the computer connects to the TT1 unit, as you can then see the SD card (maps etc are on this), so it works a bit like a card reader in this respect, but the unit itself I was expecting to see as a separate device on the PC, but it does not show up. (my nuvi shows up both the unit and the separate SD card).

If you go into windows device manager it shows up as a drive "TT GO". (tried various USB ports, on front back and hub- all the same)

On the device itself, it goes to a red screen with a picture of the TT and a hand plugging in the cable when connected, but when you access it through windows explorer (using XP home SP2), then it says "wait" and a red cross appears in one corner - whilst accessing , which disappears once finished.

So question is how do we get this to work ? if you can't get TT Home to work there doesn't seem to be anyway to update the unit or the maps, but to get TT Home to work I guess that we need to update the unit application software. OR am I doing something wrong?

greatly appreciate any suggestions here.

thanks

AdeK
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nothing wrong with what you are doing at all, this is hardly a problem requiring one to get your teeth into though, it is easily solved by doing the following:

Phone TomTom Support in the morning (0845 161 0009) and state the following:

"My PC can see the TomTom One using Windows Explorer, but TomTom Home software refuses to the see or connect to the device, there is a file on the TomTom which requires updating called "system" could you please send this to me to put on my device in order to update my early TomTom One"

Once you have the file simply copy it to the root of the TomTom One's memory card which will over write the original file, after that the device will connect via TomTom Home and work quite happily, see This Thread for additional information, if they don't understand what you are requesting asking for someone else as this is a known problem (you might get a newbie on the other end of the phone) - Mike
rover220
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

all tomtom will advise you to do is download the home for "rider and navigator" from their website.

that version can see tt1 and will let you update to a point where home 2.2 can see the unit.

thats exactly what they told me to do when i had the problem.
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks chaps, so not a hard enough challenge for you then.

anyway, I'll give it a try at the weekend when I have some time, if the other version of TT go home doesn't work then it's a phone call to TT when I get a chance for this troublesome little file.

Again thanks for the help, I'm always impressed by the knowledge on the PGPSW forums.

AdeK

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: