Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 1.16 Update
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

1.16 Update
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uncle_knobbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: 1.16 Update Reply with quote

Hi

Not sure if this is an error.

The map feature on the SatMap has the North Up option, or where the map rotates in relation to where you are.

If you go to advanced power settings and make the GPS update every 4 seconds the rotating map option doesn't work.

Not sure if it is meant to do this to consume less power or not

Has anyone else had this on the update 1.16?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I first read the details of this powersaving option I read it as the GPS getting a signal every 4 seconds.....but now I'm reading it as just updating the screen every 4 seconds whilst still getting a signal every second (anyone holding a MW radio near it can tell us if that is the case) .....I'm sure that turning map data as you turn must take a lot of processing power and I guess disabling it in a powersaving mode helps a lot with that objective...as does limiting the light to 80%.

I think what I would like to see is all the parameters that affect power consumption optional....if I want my position updated every 4 seconds but 100% light then at least saves more power than when I've got 100% light in v1.03. And if I wanted my position updated every 4 seconds but with the map able to turn (albeit there would be a delay) then I'd still be able to save power over the current version.
lxm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:48 am    Post subject: v.1.16 update Reply with quote

How did you guys get this update already? I only got the email from Satmap yesterday saying it was good to go, but that it might take them "a few weeks" to get it to all registered users.

Why (oh, why) did they not make it a download from the website which would have saved them time and postage (and SD cards) and saved the rest of us time and suspense?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't received it yet....I've only seen the details of the update on their News page and the email yesterday.

As for the other point....the Active 10 doesn't accept things on a users SD card...only one that seems to be locked up by Satmap themselves....that goes for firmware and mapping...even though the mapping was to be available to purchase as a download on to your own blank SD card. The mapping block I can understand...there would be nothing to stop me swapping my South GB with your North GB map or Dartmoor at 1:25,000.....and then members on forums like this could for the price of one map bought from Satmap have access to all the maps through swaps.....not something that would keep Satmap going or OS allowing Satmap to use their maps. The firmware option would save Satmap a hell of a lot of money but perhaps it's restricted in order for the map cards to be secure as well.
lxm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: SD card updates Reply with quote

Well, thanks for that. I can't think of a computing reason why the updates would need to be on secure cards just because the device will only read maps from such cards. But there you go. I guess I'll just have to wait for my SD card to come from Satmap... unless any of you guys out there who have already used your card to update your A10 (and therefore presumably have no futher use for the SD card) would like to post it to me? Offers?
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: Re: v.1.16 update Reply with quote

lxm wrote:
How did you guys get this update already? I only got the email from Satmap yesterday saying it was good to go, but that it might take them "a few weeks" to get it to all registered users.

Why (oh, why) did they not make it a download from the website which would have saved them time and postage (and SD cards) and saved the rest of us time and suspense?

Some of us got the upgrade at the outdoor show at Brum - stood at the
counter while it uploaded - takes a while- the message was that it might not fully upload at first attempt. MINE went quite OK and shows latest
version.

That was the VERY question I put to the guy on the Stand and
ALL subsequent upgrades will be by download allegedly.

the interesting bit about power consumption and battery life . looked into
this problem and it was found that several lines of code courtesy of Microsoft is causing a power spike - on further investigation this power is not doing anything that is USEFUL for the Satmap device SO that bit of code has been hobbled CUTTING overall power consumption
a10user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 9:24 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.16 Update Reply with quote

uncle_knobbie wrote:
Hi

The map feature on the SatMap has the North Up option, or where the map rotates in relation to where you are.

If you go to advanced power settings and make the GPS update every 4 seconds the rotating map option doesn't work.

Hi there, I have V1.16, just being in my garden to test your theory and agree with you, the track up or rotate dosn't work with the setting on advanced, 4 seconds GPS update, it works ok on normal setting, 1 second.Well I will set mine on normal all the time, it is nice to have the map the right direction of walking. I have the Li-ionPolymer battery any way so the power saving is not that inportant to me. The power pack work fantastic, I keep the A10 always at full power and always on in my walks and so far so good, i do few of walks a week of about 6 hrs each and battery still at 4 bar. So I presume that the track up lost is the price that it must be paid it we set the advanced setting
uncle_knobbie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 21, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.16 Update Reply with quote

a10user wrote:
uncle_knobbie wrote:
Hi

Hi there, I have V1.16, just being in my garden to test your theory and agree with you, the track up or rotate dosn't work with the setting on advanced, 4 seconds GPS update, it works ok on normal setting, 1 second.Well I will set mine on normal all the time, it is nice to have the map the right direction of walking. I have the Li-ionPolymer battery any way so the power saving is not that inportant to me. The power pack work fantastic, I keep the A10 always at full power and always on in my walks and so far so good, i do few of walks a week of about 6 hrs each and battery still at 4 bar. So I presume that the track up lost is the price that it must be paid it we set the advanced setting

Seems it is part of the power saving feature, thanks for confirming it.

You have the LiPol power supply, seems worth it after what I have heard about how long it lasts with features full on.
Have heard of problems with recharging the units, have you had problesm and how do you do recharge it?
a10user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 22, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 1.16 Update Reply with quote

uncle_knobbie wrote:
a10user wrote:
uncle_knobbie wrote:
Hi

Seems it is part of the power saving feature, thanks for confirming it.

You have the LiPol power supply, seems worth it after what I have heard about how long it lasts with features full on.
Have heard of problems with recharging the units, have you had problesm and how do you do recharge it?

No problem on recharging, just plug the unit on the wall socket and leave it overnight, the unit will switch itself on as soon you plug it on, do not switch the unit off.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see that the News section off the Satmap website has been updated to announce v1.16.

I think they have added this request at the end of the details of the update as I didn't notice it on 1.15....

You will also notice we have included a FREEPOST envelope for
you to be able to send the SD Card back to us once you have
installed v1.16 on your unit. Do please return this to us once you
have completed the update (following the enclosed instructions).

rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
I see that the News section off the Satmap website has been updated to announce v1.16.

I think they have added this request at the end of the details of the update as I didn't notice it on 1.15....

You will also notice we have included a FREEPOST envelope for
you to be able to send the SD Card back to us once you have
installed v1.16 on your unit. Do please return this to us once you
have completed the update (following the enclosed instructions).

I received my upgrade over the weekend - v1.16. It came with an envelope and instructions to return. Once I've used the machine a few time and confirmed the upgrade has worked I will return it as instructed.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, at least someone's received it Confused

I hope the new instruction doesn't mean that people won't receive theirs until it's been returned by someone else!!
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Well, at least someone's received it Confused

I hope the new instruction doesn't mean that people won't receive theirs until it's been returned by someone else!!

Maybe there's only one SD card with v1.16 for the whole country... bagsy me next Laughing
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

People that bought theirs last October should get first crack at a fault free firmware upgrade!!! Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 27, 2008 11:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But I would take some time to understand the potential problem with 1,15 as it is so small it certainly isn't on my list of things to upgrade, 1,15 works fine for me.

Have a read of This Post which details the specific problem, then ask yourself would you ever make such a display data box selection (I certainly wouldn't as it is a waste of map space and battery power)

A minor glitch that one can live with, now we know what the problem is, a heads up should this happen again wouldn't go amiss though, if anyone from SatMap is reading - possible hint for the future, a heads up with explanation is far better received than leaving users wondering what is wrong with their new software.

Perhaps we should "track" where the v1,16 SD card is within the country, although I would expect there to be far more than a single entity Wink - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: