Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin UK moves to iTIS for TMC data supply
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin UK moves to iTIS for TMC data supply
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 6:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you take a closer look at where the transmitters are located in France they are mostly within the large towns/ cities they are feeding so very close to civilisation. In the UK we stick the masts on top of large hills miles from anywhere expecting more coverage from about the same power level.
RF power degrades very quickly over distance, this might go some way to explaining why you find better reception in France than the UK. Additionally, recent advances by certain RDS-TMC manufacturers prove it can work quite well in the UK using the iTIS network
My GTM12 is still in the car, but I have long since given up on it to be honest. The manufacturers of this sort of equipment need to wake up and build decent RF receivers fed with a quality signal from an external feed (optional) - using a piece of string will not reliably work in the UK, nor will it work in a vehicle with athermic glass. - Mike
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaydee2 wrote:

Why can't we in the UK get a decent signal - I just drove through France and was dazzled by the twin green lights showing traffic info almost non stop on the way down to the alps.

Were you on motorways throughout? Last autumn I drove to Santiago de Compostela using main roads mainly and only the free motorways. My GTM21 reception was as sporadic as it is in the UK. Signal strengths, as shown by the hidden menu, were typically between low teens and high 30's with occasional bursts into the 40's. The amount of information given was less per mile of road than in the UK (they do have a lower traffic density in general) and I hit plenty of unannounced "bouchons", particularly in the area of Biarritz.

I don't subscribe to the theory that UK TMC is worse than France or Spain as it does not accord with my experience. I will not be subscribing to V-traffic in France!!
kaydee2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 2:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was on the autoroutes all the way from Calais down to the Alps.
I was not referring to the accuracy of the traffic information - although to be fair it was fairly quiet, but where the Nuvi said there were roadworks, there were!
The main thing that I was referring to was the fact that I was receiving a fairly steady flow of information all the way - the two green lights on the GTM21 were both on for the majority of the trip.
I don't know about the 'hidden' signal strengths - how do I find them?
I do know that on a busy Friday afternoon/evening, I drove from near Luton on the M1 , around the M25 and down the M23 to Gatwick and back and received very little evidence of traffic info -
a) I got stuck in some nasty unannounced jams
and
b) the two green lights came on very rarely - the amber being the norm

I would just like the chance to assess the accuracy of Traffic information - I have to be receiving it first!! Confused
inspiredron
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

kaydee2 wrote:

I don't know about the 'hidden' signal strengths - how do I find them?

Have a look at this thread:
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=57828&start=0
malcolm_frost
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a nuvi 310d and since 1st April the traffic icons have changed to a yellow diagonal square. The reception now is a lot better (Hindhead, Surrey) although the accuracy still leaves a bit to be desired, it sometimes shows 6 miles of queuing traffic on the AŁ south between Godalming and Hindhead when I'm driving the other way and there is no problem at all!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: