Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Imported gpx files from Memory Map Question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Imported gpx files from Memory Map Question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Fraserp
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:44 pm    Post subject: Imported gpx files from Memory Map Question Reply with quote

When I import a route from Memory map in gpx format it doesnt contain any height information when i look at the profile. Am I doing something wrong?
SatMap
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You are doing nothing wrong, Memory Map doesn't export height data when you export from it, so there is nothing for the active10 to read relative to altitude - Mike
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why can't Satmap display the profile using it's map elevation data ?

That's what Memory Map does when you import a Lat/Long only .gpx
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest OS 1.15 can display map derived or GPS derived height data, this may resolve your issue?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The latest OS 1.15 can display map derived or GPS derived height data, this may resolve your issue?

I doubt that would solve the problem....that upgrade just gives you two options to find your current height and then the history of those heights for your ride so far. When you create a route on the Active 10 it will display the profile of the route before you've ridden it (and presumably as you ride it too...I've not looked). Imported routes really should be able to show the same thing...but it doesn't.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 6:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Imported routes really should be able to show the same thing...but it doesn't.
That is why I always plan my routes on the actual device, I will use MM on the PC, but then enter the waypoints as a series of coordinates, the SatSync makes life easy, and you can profile the route in Memory Map before exporting, but its a shame it doesn't show the data on the active10 unless you create the route on the device - Mike
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2008 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the best place to post this probably very dumb question but here goes.

Am I missing something about having to use Memory Map. I thought programmes like GPSBabel converted to and from Memory Map format. So why can't I use some other map system such as Anquet or Fugawi, use gpsbabel to convert to Memory Map and then use satsync to import to the A10?
Satsync 1.525
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 4:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Not sure if this is the best place to post this probably very dumb question but here goes.

Am I missing something about having to use Memory Map. I thought programmes like GPSBabel converted to and from Memory Map format. So why can't I use some other map system such as Anquet or Fugawi, use gpsbabel to convert to Memory Map and then use satsync to import to the A10?

Mike-
If I understand your question correctly, you ask whether it is necessary to convert another software's proprietary file format to memory map's proprietary file format (.mmo) before finally transferring the file to your A10 via the Satsync software.
The answer is: No, and in fact, Satsync doesn't understand .mmo files anyway - you'd need to save your file as a .gpx file from Memory Map before transferring it to the A10 through Satsync. So the big question is: Does the other software (Anquet, Fugawi) give you the option to save their files in .gpx format to begin with? If so, do that, then try to transfer that .gpx file to the A10 through Satsync (there's no guarantee that this will work properly, as the gpx standard is very flexible, allowing for quite large variations in data structure within the file, and Satsync only understands some variants of the standard - Memory Map's variant being the main one). If Anquet and Fugawi do not allow saving data in .gpx format, then you will either have to open the file in Memory Map then resave it as a .gpx file, or use another utility (?GPSBabel?) that can parse the Anqet/Fuqawi file and resave it as a .gpx file (and again, this file may or may not be properly recognised by Satsync, depending on how closely the resulting file complies with Memory-Map's interpretation of the gpx standard).
I have had some success with non-Memory-Map derived .gpx files and Satsync, so it's certainly worth a try!
miket1
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Satmap Conversions.

You can use conversion utility downloads to save routes on Anquet as .gpx

I used GPS Utility version 4.91

Do your route the normal way on Anquet. It will be saved as .adf.

Open GPS Utility

In File go to Open

Highlight the Anquet xxx.adf file.

It opens as a list of waypoints,

Go to File - Save as: then scroll down and save as .gpx

When you open Sat Sync import the saved .gpx file

It imports the route info only, not any altitude info

I also used this to convert GPS routes on Discovery Walking Guides for routes in Spain. These are saved as GPSU and I used the above routine to save them as .gpx. They are saved on satmap as waypoints against the blue screen as there is no map file to overlay them on. But it just acts as any other GPS when you use the GPS for coordinates along with a separate map.

I wouldn’t mind if others would like to use this thread to share their experiences in converting other gps routes.

I have had a good winter using Satmap in some pretty atrocious conditions on the Scottish hills and can’t fault it. I don’t won’t to hear about peoples’ views on Garmin, Magellan, tom-tom or whatever, I just want to develop my and others interest in using satmap to its fullest potential.
rog62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 18, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have been using GpS Babel to translate .gpx files between SatMap and Tracklogs. The early Beta version of Satsync would not successfully import the file to the SatMap or back the other way to Tracklogs.

The key to getting the transfer to work was selecting GPSBabel to translate routes to tracks (To get from SatMap to Tracklogs) and visa versa...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: