Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Latest Satmap Active 10 software release
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Latest Satmap Active 10 software release
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:13 pm    Post subject: Latest Satmap Active 10 software release Reply with quote

Anyone have any news on getting this? In the last conversation I had with Satmap (on Thursday 28th February) I was told it would be out early this week. There's nothing on the News page of their website. (Surprised?)

While talking of software, can one of you knowledgeable types explain what the difference is between "software" and "firmware"? I have assumed "firmware" is in-house Satmap proprietary software and "software" is the Windows OS, etc. Is this right?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahhh I thought this was going to be news you'd received it!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing

Don't expect anything on the News section....that's for announcing lightweight reviews from some nobody or other!! Confused

The latest I read on here is that something will be released at the end of this week and something else at the end of next week....and Darren says he has a review unit with v1.15 on it.....so maybe this time it isn't all hot air.

Bearing in mind I didn't know what a softkey was..... Embarassed .....software will, to me, be Satsync and firmware will be what you put on the Active 10 to change the way it does things.
captbeardy
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firmware is typically stored on the device it's self and is usually stored on a ROM (though these days it is often on a re-writeable ROM allowing for updates) Firmware tells the hardware what it is. Software is the next level up, and can include an operating system and applications.
It this instance though, I would expect firmware to include teh device operating system and application on the device, and software to be on the PC. However, Maps are also software, though mostly data.

Hope that clears it all up :D
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 3:12 pm    Post subject: New software v 1.15 Reply with quote

I received and loaded the new software this morning. Haven't had much chance yet to play with it but I am very pleased to see that, finally, I can "turn off" the stored inactive routes so that the screen isn't covered with grey worms. There is now an additional setting called "Routes Control' offering this option. There's also an extra time option; you can choose to have the screen switch off after 15 seconds, as well as 30 seconds, 1 minute, etc. There's also a means of resetting the Trip Log and Track Data simultaneously.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: New software v 1.15 Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
I am very pleased to see that, finally, I can "turn off" the stored inactive routes so that the screen isn't covered with grey worms. There is now an additional setting called "Routes Control' offering this option.

Woooohooooooooooo!!!!

I read that a major power saving change was the 4 second signal reception instead of 1 second....I presume you can choose which you want rather than be forced to have the 4 second?
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: New software v 1.15 Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
I read that a major power saving change was the 4 second signal reception instead of 1 second....I presume you can choose which you want rather than be forced to have the 4 second?
Dunno. Haven't got that far into it yet.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: New software v 1.15 Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:

Correct, under the Setting Option Advanced Power Control you can choose between
  • Normal - GPS map screen updates every second
  • Advanced - GPS map screen updates every 4 seconds

lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:45 pm    Post subject: Re: New software v 1.15 Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
I received and loaded the new software this morning. Haven't had much chance yet to play with it but I am very pleased to see that, finally, I can "turn off" the stored inactive routes so that the screen isn't covered with grey worms. There is now an additional setting called "Routes Control' offering this option. There's also an extra time option; you can choose to have the screen switch off after 15 seconds, as well as 30 seconds, 1 minute, etc. There's also a means of resetting the Trip Log and Track Data simultaneously.

Where's mine?!! Crying

Did you specifically contact Satmap and ask them to send you this update, or did it just arrive?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:49 pm    Post subject: Re: New software v 1.15 Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
Where's mine?!! Crying
Why not take a trip to the Outdoors show this weekend (Fri to Sun) SatMap will be upgrading devices on their stand, just remember to take the device with you - Mike
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: New software v 1.15 Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
lucevans wrote:
Where's mine?!! Crying
Why not take a trip to the Outdoors show this weekend (Fri to Sun) SatMap will be upgrading devices on their stand, just remember to take the device with you - Mike

I'd love to Mike, but I shall be spending 24 hours stuck in a hospital this weekend (work, not patient!).
Never mind, I'll just sit tight and see what turns up on the door mat...
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 7:26 pm    Post subject: Re: New software v 1.15 Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
PloddinPedro wrote:

Where's mine?!! Crying

Did you specifically contact Satmap and ask them to send you this update, or did it just arrive?

I've not received mine either yet....I've checked that I got a Satmap circular email on 18/12 saying Happy Xmas etc so I presume that means I'm registered. Confused
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: New software v 1.15 Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
Where's mine?!! Crying Did you specifically contact Satmap and ask them to send you this update, or did it just arrive?
It just arrived in the post, unannounced. But I have been speaking to them on a fairly regular basis and I believe I was amongst the earliest adopters so maybe they're being posted out in some kind of chronological order. Or maybe it's just random?
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who have given up checking the Satmap website.

You may like to have a look as the Satsync software is now on it and available to download!

Looks like things are beginning to really happen.
Satsync 1.525
nonoftheabove
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:

You may like to have a look as the Satsync software is now on it and available to download!

Thanks very much for the heads up LostMike.

All I need to do now is bend an ear at NEC tommorrow
providing NetRail and TOCs can get their trains from A to B

So i might get to fiddle about with the equipment this coming weekend
and the weather is getting warmer.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2008 7:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:

Mmm...so when they said last week that Satsync would be ready next week they meant they'd put the latest Beta version up so we wouldn't all be asking each other for it on here!! Laughing

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to: