Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic Module for S series
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic Module for S series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:36 pm    Post subject: Traffic Module for S series Reply with quote

Could anyone tell me if the T1 traffic module is compatible with the S series (at least the ones that need it). I ask because, on the Navman Store site (S series) where the traffic modules are for sale, it lists the T1, the T2 and the B2.
I have a spare T1, so if I bought a S70, then I could use the one I have got. Idea
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 11:33 am    Post subject: Traffic Reply with quote

The Navman store lists T1 Compatability
This unit adds traffic capability to iCN530, iCN720, iCN750, F20, F30, F40, F50,N20, N40i, and the N60i

navmanstores

Better off buying an S90i complete with traffic, so no additional units to carry or buy, and its only £172.99 at mynewcheap or £180 post free at Amazon

And see your T1 on ebay for the £20 difference in S70 to S90, and get the Text to Speech for FREE!
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 1:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Traffic Reply with quote

xtraseller wrote:
The Navman store lists T1 Compatability
This unit adds traffic capability to iCN530, iCN720, iCN750, F20, F30, F40, F50,N20, N40i, and the N60i

navmanstores

Better off buying an S90i complete with traffic, so no additional units to carry or buy, and its only £172.99 at mynewcheap or £180 post free at Amazon

And see your T1 on ebay for the £20 difference in S70 to S90, and get the Text to Speech for FREE!

Thanks Wink Sensible suggestion Idea
TheM
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Traffic Module for S series Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
Could anyone tell me if the T1 traffic module is compatible with the S series

S-Series doesn't have that wide port on the bottom like iCN530, iCN7xx, F20+ and N-Series -- instead all S-Series devices and F10 have just USB port that serves both as power connector and expansion connector for new cradles.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2008 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Traffic Module for S series Reply with quote

TheM wrote:
Gee-Pee wrote:
Could anyone tell me if the T1 traffic module is compatible with the S series

S-Series doesn't have that wide port on the bottom like iCN530, iCN7xx, F20+ and N-Series -- instead all S-Series devices and F10 have just USB port that serves both as power connector and expansion connector for new cradles.

Thanks a lot Laughing
PaulRS
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Traffic Module for S series Reply with quote

Gee-Pee

You're probably aware, but the traffic cradle for the S-series provides a slightly neater solution in that the TMC aerial cable plugs into the cradle. When the S70 etc is connected then this connects both power and TMC. On the S90i, which has built in TMC, the cradle provides power only and no cable retention for the antenna lead. The antenna then plugs into the headphone socket which is a bit fiddly if you're right handed with a right hand drive car and you can't see the socket

The manual is quite confusing about the TMC antenna in that the setting up diagrams at the front only show the antenna going into the cradle, and the section on TMC only mentions the traffic cradle. This also states that the traffic cradle "may not be supplied with all models".

You really have to dig around to find the bit on the diagrams when describing the headphone socket that tells you that depending on model "this may also be the connection socket for your traffic antenna". I mean, how many people read the description for a headphone socket? The name tends to give it away.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: Traffic Module for S series Reply with quote

PaulRS wrote:
Gee-Pee

You're probably aware, but the traffic cradle for the S-series provides a slightly neater solution in that the TMC aerial cable plugs into the cradle. When the S70 etc is connected then this connects both power and TMC. On the S90i, which has built in TMC, the cradle provides power only and no cable retention for the antenna lead. The antenna then plugs into the headphone socket which is a bit fiddly if you're right handed with a right hand drive car and you can't see the socket

The manual is quite confusing about the TMC antenna in that the setting up diagrams at the front only show the antenna going into the cradle, and the section on TMC only mentions the traffic cradle. This also states that the traffic cradle "may not be supplied with all models".

You really have to dig around to find the bit on the diagrams when describing the headphone socket that tells you that depending on model "this may also be the connection socket for your traffic antenna". I mean, how many people read the description for a headphone socket? The name tends to give it away.

Thanks for that information, Dave. Sounds like the S70 is very similar to the N range where the power and aerial is plugged into the T1 traffic module. Whereas the S90i having a built in traffic device is different.
DaveMatthews
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 2:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Traffic Module for S series Reply with quote

PaulRS wrote:
The antenna then plugs into the headphone socket which is a bit fiddly if you're right handed with a right hand drive car and you can't see the socket

Does anybody know why the S90i has a headphone socket?

--

Cheers

Dave
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Traffic Module for S series Reply with quote

DaveMatthews wrote:
PaulRS wrote:
The antenna then plugs into the headphone socket which is a bit fiddly if you're right handed with a right hand drive car and you can't see the socket

Does anybody know why the S90i has a headphone socket?

--

Cheers

Dave

Could it be so that you can listen to guidance through headphones and not wake you passenger? Both the Navmans I have owned have had headphone sockets and so has my ViaMichelin. ;-)
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 7:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is it actually legal to drive with headphones on, I would think this is a bad idea from a safety point of view, the socket is intended to be used for feeding the Aux input on the car stereo if anything or into an FM transmitter - Mike
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Is it actually legal to drive with headphones on, I would think this is a bad idea from a safety point of view, the socket is intended to be used for feeding the Aux input on the car stereo if anything or into an FM transmitter - Mike

Hi Mike, Firstly I agree that I would never use the headphone socket to use them whilst driving. Very dangerous!

However, this is what the Manual says

Quote:
"Connection socket for headphones or earphones (not included). To access the socket, gently lift the rubber cover."

Graham

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Mio Navman Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: