Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Piracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Piracy
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
MaFt wrote:
surely the fact that we get charged £16.99 for a cd album and £4.99 for a single is what stops people buying them?!

I agree - there must be something wrong if I can go online, buy a CD in the US, pay shipping etc and it's still about half the price of my local high street

Why are we charged so much more than our American counterparts?? It SHOULD be the same material by the same artist and through the same record company, after all

maybe 20p extra to cover the cost of sending the artwork and master cd to the uk for pressing...!?!
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And why is it often more expensive to but an Album through iTunes than it is to buy the CD and import it! I use iTunes because I'm lazy but they really should be cheaper than the original CD!
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
And why is it often more expensive to but an Album through iTunes than it is to buy the CD and import it! I use iTunes because I'm lazy but they really should be cheaper than the original CD!

Thats because apple are up to something! If you can't find the song your looking for just change the country you log into and presto you can find it in america, and guess what - 76pence for a song here is 99c (51p) in the us.

Apperenly to costs 24p more for bandwith to the uk. Rolling Eyes

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
mostdom
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Additional... If you try and download the cheaper song from US iTunes it won't let you??? Evil or Very Mad

HERE LIES PND May it rest in peace.
Navigon 7310/iPhone Navigon&Copilot
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GPS_fan wrote:
The ISPs can trace which servers have been accessed by specific IP addresses and they can trace back which user had a particular IP address at any given time.

Sure they can, but they won't reveal that information to a company like PGPSW because of the Data Protection Act...
giblets46
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The record comapanies are always complaining they don't make much money, and on the verge of death, yet, also managed to make record profits this year!
They also remind us that the money goes towards artists, if so why do they still charge top whack for a 40 year old beatles album when Lenon and McCartney sold the rights to Michael JAckson and Sony (Mr McCartney has to pay sony to play his own songs at concerts!!).
They tell us this money is invested in new talent, yet, despite owning 85% of the market, yet independents, with little or no 'back catalogue' often make up 30% or more of the top 10.

What they don't seem to realise is that we see the excess and unfairness towards the bands to see they are driven by self interest.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RANT mode firmly ON for this one
giblets46 wrote:
The record companies are always complaining they don't make much money, and on the verge of death, yet, also managed to make record profits this year!

This is down to one of two things greed on the part of the supplier and stupidity on the part of the consumer.

giblets46 wrote:
They also remind us that the money goes towards artists, if so why do they still charge top whack for a 40 year old Beatles album when Lenon and McCartney sold the rights to Michael Jackson and Sony (Mr McCartney has to pay Sony to play his own songs at concerts!!)..

Think of the charges Sir McCartney invokes to appear at such a concert and perform, probably far more than the costs associated with belting out one of his own songs - he is probably laughing all the way to the bank (along with a certain someone else we won't bother naming).

giblets46 wrote:
They tell us this money is invested in new talent, yet, despite owning 85% of the market, yet independents, with little or no 'back catalogue' often make up 30% or more of the top 10. .
So where does all this 85% (of what) actually go? - is it used to pay for "brain dead TV" you know the program judged by people that are "experts" and paid a fortune whilst the stupid people watching the rubbish actually pay by voting for a pre-rigged supposed "competition" - I guess I am being a "Coward" by not naming the actual show, but I don't think it will take more than a few brain cells to work this out Joker

giblets46 wrote:
What they don't seem to realise is that we see the excess and unfairness towards the bands to see they are driven by self interest.
Very true, I think the recent example set by one band to release their latest album free on the internet was a very clever move, if the big hitters in the industry don't wake up and adopt modern technology in a true all encompassing way they will fail to exist in years to come - this would be a sad day for all, but the writing is on the wall

RANT mode off - all back to normal now! - Mike
GPS_fan
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 10:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

giblets46 wrote:
Lenon and McCartney sold the rights to Michael JAckson and Sony

Paul McCartney is apparently just sitting waiting for the rights to revert back to him:
Quote:
"But the thing is, I do get some cash from the publishing already. And in a few years more of the rights will be automatically be reverting to me," Contactmusic.com quoted McCartney as saying

giblets46 wrote:
Mr McCartney has to pay sony to play his own songs at concerts!!

Apparently, this only applies to those sung in the US:
Quote:
"The only annoying thing is, when I tour America I have to pay to play some of my own songs. But I don't think about that. Because if I did, it would be just too annoying.", the former Beatles member confessed.

Source: Softpedia
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

giblets46 wrote:
Very true, I think the recent example set by one band to release their latest album free on the internet was a very clever move, if the big hitters in the industry don't wake up and adopt modern technology in a true all encompassing way they will fail to exist in years to come - this would be a sad day for all, but the writing is on the wall

the offspring, signed to sony/bmg, tried doing this for 'conspiracy of one' back in 2000 - sony were massively against any form of digital music back then and the offspring were one of the biggest bands to promote services such as napster! the band wanted to give the album away as a free download and those who bought the actual cd would get extra online content via a pc which needed the actual physical cd to function - live video's, exclusive live tracks etc. sony wouldn't allow it and they finally reached a rubbish compromise and were allowed to release a single track as a free download... how generous of sony!

as an apology to their fans (the offspring had already anounced they would be releasing the album as a free download!) they then gave away $1m of their own money in a competition to some lucky fan - the offer was made for everyone the world over but was won by a young lass about to start uni in america. pretty neat huh!

shame really, cos if sony had agreed with the offsprings plan then how much would that have changed the world's concept of music downloads?! actually making it legal by one of the big players inthe industry - and now 8 years on they're still moaning about people downloading music. well, make it cheaper (why pay the same price for a download than for an actual physical product?!) and embrace technology instead of cowering away from it!!

rant over

MaFt
giblets46
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The irony about sony is back in the distant past, the likes of Universal sued Sony for making video recorders that people used to copy videos, thus infringing ontheir copyright. Wait 20 years, and SOny (through theused the same laws to prosecute Napster for providing software that users used for downloading music!
Mortiki_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2008 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:

The band you are referring to I beleive was Radiohead.

Cheers

Jay
Satellite
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 8:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do not condone piracy, it's Stealing !!! but, until the Music, Software and Film industry realise that people want to buy legitimate material at "reasonable" prices there will always be piracy one way or another IMHO.

But I could be wrong.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Lost Satellite Fix - Off Topic Area All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: