Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Very annoying...again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Very annoying...again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just don't understand certain people on here. why don't you just pick up the phone and speak to richard at satmap .much better than filling the forum with negative and useless posts.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bryanwal wrote:
i just don't understand certain people on here. why don't you just pick up the phone and speak to richard at satmap .much better than filling the forum with negative and useless posts.

Negative and useless posts eh? Thanks for the understanding. It's frankly none of your business anyway. I chose to send an email and expect a reply. I don't want to have to 'recite' all the problems over the phone. What's wrong with email? I just don't understand certain people on here...
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be honest....I do understand the frustrations all round that we are all experiencing. On todays walk for example, (I don't like to show my Activ 10 off anymore!)...all the others Garmins were showing around a 12 mile total walk...mine 14..but when I 'stopped the clock' and saved the walk, the profile shows 11.9 ! Now that I am home the battery (I assume) needs charging as after a lot of black and white screen flashes, the thing has gone off. Even though I have it plugged into the mains, I can't power it up to use and there is no way to check whether or not it is actually charging....I thought that most rechargable things these days at least allow you to use them once on charge ? After my last walk, it seems that the only option is either to put the batteries back in, or disconnect the Lithium (?) one and reconnect. Unfortunately, there is no, sort of way, to do a 'soft reset.' One other thing, I got caught last week....went out for the day, with what I thought was a fully charged unit, having been continually on charge, only to find when I powered up that it was completely flay, and I didn't have the ordinary battery pack with me. Sadly still pretty disappointed to date.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We've just received our review unit, running v1.15 Firmware. I've also got the LiPo battery pack se we'll see what if any issues I can discover and more importantly, what if any issues have been resolved by the update!

I'm slightly surprised by the battery pack. I fly R/C helicopters which use LiPo batteries and have always had it drummed into me that they should always be charged using a charger/battery balancer unit. I was under the impression that LiPo batteries were hazardous items if the cells weren't charged equally hence the balancer.

The charger supplied with the LiPo for the Active10 is not a balancing device and there does not appear to be any form of thermal sensing in the pack.

The only other oddity was upon switching on. I could see bubbles and imperfections on the screen. I had already removed the temporary screen protector so was thrown but a quick search here revealed the screen was removable. Having done that I found another protector on the reverse of the removable screen. I wonder if this has been added as a permanent form of protection? If so it's a poor solution as it leaves shadows and bubbles where the two layers meet each other and are squashed against the actual screen underneath?
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am furious. Following on from my earlier note, I have just unplugged it..replaced the regular batteries to get it going again, and guess what ? It has lost my saved route today. After editing to give it a name , I always then save it to the SD card...and earlier it showed up fine , but now...nothing. To be honest, I too, am sorely tempted to call it 'rubbish'. at the risk of being seen to be impatient. I really don't know what to do next as of course, I don't want to call it a day and send it back as I could really get to like it.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
We've just received our review unit, running v1.15 Firmware. I've also got the LiPo battery pack se we'll see what if any issues I can discover and more importantly, what if any issues have been resolved by the update!

I'm slightly surprised by the battery pack. I fly R/C helicopters which use LiPo batteries and have always had it drummed into me that they should always be charged using a charger/battery balancer unit. I was under the impression that LiPo batteries were hazardous items if the cells weren't charged equally hence the balancer.

The charger supplied with the LiPo for the Active10 is not a balancing device and there does not appear to be any form of thermal sensing in the pack.

The only other oddity was upon switching on. I could see bubbles and imperfections on the screen. I had already removed the temporary screen protector so was thrown but a quick search here revealed the screen was removable. Having done that I found another protector on the reverse of the removable screen. I wonder if this has been added as a permanent form of protection? If so it's a poor solution as it leaves shadows and bubbles where the two layers meet each other and are squashed against the actual screen underneath?

Darren - I recently received my LiPol battery and assumed that the charging circuitry was in the A10 itself - since it's effectively a customised Windows CE PDA. The charger arrangement doesn't seem very different to my iPaq 2210 PDA (although the 2210 uses a single flat LiPol cell - the A10 appears to be 2 cells wrapped together in a plastic sleeve - a bit "homemade" looking if you ask me...)

I'm still running on firmware 1.03 - I'm looking forward to your review of the update, and have you heard anything on the availability to customers yet?
Yasack
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I am furious. Following on from my earlier note, I have just unplugged it..replaced the regular batteries to get it going again, and guess what ? It has lost my saved route today. After editing to give it a name , I always then save it to the SD card...and earlier it showed up fine , but now...nothing. To be honest, I too, am sorely tempted to call it 'rubbish'. at the risk of being seen to be impatient. I really don't know what to do next as of course, I don't want to call it a day and send it back as I could really get to like it.

FrequentFlyer,

Quick question, you say you renamed the route and now that you have turned it on the route has been lost? Can you tell me what you called the route exactly. I found a major problem with naming configuration which I have reported to SatMap and they are putting it in the updated software.

Let me know.

Richard
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
Darren - I recently received my LiPol battery and assumed that the charging circuitry was in the A10 itself - since it's effectively a customised Windows CE PDA. The charger arrangement doesn't seem very different to my iPaq 2210 PDA (although the 2210 uses a single flat LiPol cell - the A10 appears to be 2 cells wrapped together in a plastic sleeve - a bit "homemade" looking if you ask me...)

The 2210 would have used Lithium-Ion which is very different technology. LiPo is cutting edge and the form factor you see is pretty much the norm.

It is the LiPo care and safety that concerns me, no mention of how dangerous these batteries are if mishandled or charged incorrectly. e.g. read this.
Quote:
I'm still running on firmware 1.03 - I'm looking forward to your review of the update, and have you heard anything on the availability to customers yet?

I don't but will seek clarification.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
It is the LiPo care and safety that concerns me, no mention of how dangerous these batteries are if mishandled or charged incorrectly. e.g. read this.

Crikey Darren - how am I going to explain to 'er indoors why I now need a bucket of sand in my home office while the new super battery is on charge?!
Seriously, just how dodgy are these things? Or is this just another case of "I'll distance myself as far as possible from this in case the nanny state sues me"?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I've always treated LiPo's with care, never left them charging unattended or overnight and always ensured they are as far away from anything flammable as possible.

Certainly in the R/C community whilst they are commonplace, they are all charged using expensive balance chargers to both ensure their longevity but also to ensure safety.

I would sincerely hope Satmap have chosen this technology after much research and that the charge system is sufficient for its purpose but I am surprised that the care advice is so lacking.

This is something I will be asking them to comment on soonest if only to put our minds at rest.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
The 2210 would have used Lithium-Ion which is very different technology. LiPo is cutting edge and the form factor you see is pretty much the norm.

Thanks for the clarification - I was confusing Li-Ion and Li-Pol. From the info in that link, these things look dangerous! My particular favorite bits of advice are:

"8 – Extreme battery temperatures may cause ignition – keep the batteries in a cool place at all times.

9 – It is strongly recommended that the batteries be placed in a fireproof container for charging and storage. A small metal box is ideal, but should not be made airtight. Other solutions may come to mind, but do ensure that all materials are non-combustible.

10 – It is recommended that a small fire extinguisher or bucket of sand be kept close to where the batteries are being charged."

On Fire
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yasack wrote:
Quote:

FrequentFlyer,

Quick question, you say you renamed the route and now that you have turned it on the route has been lost? Can you tell me what you called the route exactly. I found a major problem with naming configuration which I have reported to SatMap and they are putting it in the updated software.

Let me know.

Richard

Bramshott Common Mar05 08

In fact the latest, after talking with them is that they have asked me to send it back, due now to a high pitched whistling which I can't get rid of, and continual beeps, even though everything is muted. Very helpful service though, I have to say.
a10user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Oh dear...so the battery pack sounds like a bit of a waste of time and money...and you'll need to cart around the old battery holder for when the Li Pol battery dies....think I'll stick with the AAs. Confused

I have been using the battery pack for 3 weeks now, 3 walks of about 6 hours each with the a10 at full power and always on. still 4 bar on the battery. Very happy with it so far
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragsterman, I have sent you a PM regarding your email to Satmap but not had a reply from you as yet, in the hope that this may elicit one, can you contact me plz.
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2008 1:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

Sorry I've not been on the forum for a bit. I've just sent you a reply.

Thanks for your help.

Paul.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 6 of 7

Jump to: