Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce new GO 930, 730 and 530 at CeBIT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce new GO 930, 730 and 530 at CeBIT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Software Reply with quote

SpeedCam wrote:
shadamehr wrote:
SpeedCam wrote:
stuart wrote:
It would be nice to see the announcement of new software to make our "Old" 520/720/920 units display mapping and guidance like these screen shots. We can only dream I suppose.

Rolling Eyes

IQ Routing will be available to existing users mid April but will require a map upgrade, I'm not sure what the cost will be.

Hoping your right, but what do you base this on, or what makes you state it mate?

Having been involved in the IQ beta, I received an email with these details direct from TomTom.

Hope this helps.

Thank You SpeedCam, you know where I am if you require a beta tester in the south. I have a good track record Police
dni777
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Lane Guidance Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:
Having got our hands on a GO 930 and having a chance to ask a few more questions about the new units and features we can now add the following information:

Lane Guidance:
- Mainly covers motorways but is obviously dependent on the map data available
- Static image is shown 'covering' the main screen and has flashing arrows. Distance to junction is still shown on screen

so do you think that lane guidance might be available to 720 users in download, or is that going to require a hardware upgrade?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be available at some point but will require a map and software update.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A new application and map should be all that is required, although I wouldn't expect this to be made available for x20 units when the x30 range launch, it should be available though at some future point (I hope) - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Updates on TomTom Go 530, 730 and 930 PNDs Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

MapShare:
- Street restrictions editing interface has been improved
- Can now confirm that changes to road speed are now added instantly to your map

Interested in more detail on this. Especially - how does it cope with the situation where you have a long straight section of road, which was all one speed, and you now want to change the limit for one section of it. All the corrections we've been able to do via mapshare so far have only been able to use the section lengths of road that are pre-defined by the map. Some of these sections are quite short (eg between junctions) but some are very long so I wondered how you can assign a new speed to just a part of one.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 6:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can select the road OR once selected use the Edit button to de-select segments of the initial selection until you have the correct section of road highlighted, at this point you can assign the new speed limit as required - hope this helps? - Mike
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's interesting, the lane guidance is great abroad but I am also concerned we have had alot of new models coming out in a 2 year time space with a high mark up price that de-values very very quickly. The 920 is already well under £300 which started at £499 if I remember correctly.

The TomTom one will be under £99 by Christmas if not earlier, will the public fork out hundreds of pounds for the top range models?
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
You can select the road OR once selected use the Edit button to de-select segments of the initial selection until you have the correct section of road highlighted, at this point you can assign the new speed limit as required - hope this helps? - Mike

Just a thought, but as it is possible some new mapping approach has gone into this, to make ALL roads "segmented" for the purpose of amending speed limits where necessary, I wonder if the same underlying feature change will also apply to blocking and unblocking roads.

Probably explained better by way of an example, for some roads on my current map that I would wish to block only a small part of off, in order to make them none through-roads, I can't actually do this sometimes, as TomTom selects the whole length of the road on some occasions. This being based on however it is currently mapped by them.

So if this same mapping change for setting segments for speed changes also works throughout, this will be really handy in terms of closing certain sections of road only at the bit needed.

At the minute, this is entirely dependant on TT having mapped the road as a couple of separate sections. Where this is not the case, you can't close or block the road, as you will block the rest of the road too, which might not be actually "out of bounds".

So if anyone is playing with one of these at CeBit, could they maybe test that out for Blocking Roads too.

Oh and as requested by others here, have a play with how adding turn restrictions actually works too.

Cheers.
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

StuartStrangeboy wrote:
It's interesting, the lane guidance is great abroad but I am also concerned we have had alot of new models coming out in a 2 year time space with a high mark up price that de-values very very quickly. The 920 is already well under £300 which started at £499 if I remember correctly.

The TomTom one will be under £99 by Christmas if not earlier, will the public fork out hundreds of pounds for the top range models?

In some places it already is, isn't it mate?...

Darn - just searched, and it's showing as £112, but I saw a web advert banner for it for under £100 the other day. Wish I had noted down where it was from...

It might even have been one of the sponsor ads on this site, not sure.

But can't find it now alas
tel33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Gutted! Reply with quote

I am so gutted!

I have just bought a 920T four days ago and to see the new 930 is making me feel rather ill, especially as the Map Guarantee does not update both my maps to the latest version!

At the moment I have v710 and there is now a version v715 and it wont update, says I have the latest map already, umm I dont think so! I have contacted TomTom and will see if they can do anything, not hoding my breath though!

Update: Just got a standard reply back no real answer jsut press the Map Guarantee button and it will update, umm no it wont!

I will keep on pressing them!
kissinuk
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 9:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Gutted! Reply with quote

tel33 wrote:
I am so gutted!

I have just bought a 920T four days ago and to see the new 930 is making me feel rather ill, especially as the Map Guarantee does not update both my maps to the latest version!

At the moment I have v710 and there is now a version v715 and it wont update, says I have the latest map already, umm I dont think so! I have contacted TomTom and will see if they can do anything, not hoding my breath though!

Update: Just got a standard reply back no real answer jsut press the Map Guarantee button and it will update, umm no it wont!

I will keep on pressing them!

I bought my 920 a few weeks ago - the Europe map came down with the Latest Map Guarantee but I had to pester TT to get them to put the USA map on there too (which thankfully they did).
tel33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thought it came with the USA map as standard, was it not on the 920 when you got it?

So did you pester them by email or by phone?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tel33 wrote:
Thought it came with the USA map as standard

It does... What Kiss was saying is that TT didn't offer the free UPDATE for the US map without a fight.
tel33
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Strangly enough I cant even connect to Tomtom now after I sent back another reply to the standard reply, now it wont log on, oh well seems like this buy was not a good informed choice!
StuartStrangeboy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr

There were some re-furb units for £99 but these have now all gone, they do come and go. I was going to sell the units on my other site tomtomdeals.com but I was very worried about the prices droping so quickly so I now just fill the site with live data from Amazon. That gives you an idea of what the current prices are.
(I am not trying to advertise by the way just making a point)

The reason I made the point about £99 is that I know so many people that have been bought the £99 Navman as presents because of the price.

Personally I think TomTom is changing the units to make them thinner as quick as possible to compete with Garmin as the Garmin units are much easier to carry around.

It's all good fun watching it though!

Stuart

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10  Next
Page 3 of 10

Jump to: