Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom announce HD Traffic at CeBIT
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom announce HD Traffic at CeBIT
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: TomTom announce HD Traffic at CeBIT Reply with quote

Well it looks like BluRay has won the format war for HD in the DVD arena, now TomTom wades into the marketplace with HD Traffic.

TomTom HD traffic is basically a replacement power cable which not only powers the SatNav but also has built in communications capabilities (using a SIM card and GPRS) to provide real time traffic information. This data is not just the standard traffic data we get via TMC, but it is enriched with actual current traffic conditions (via anonymous cellphone monitoring) enabling better and more accurate routes to be generated with realistic Estimated Times of Arrival.

Currently HD Traffic will be available on the new GO x30 range and the current GO x20 for €60 including 6 months subscription. Other devices will follow later with a software upgrade.

For more pictures and more details as we get them click here to check the CeBIT blog.

Official TomTom press release wrote:
TomTom unveils new High Definition Traffic Receiver

~For the first time new and existing TomTom GO products become HD Traffic Ready~

Amsterdam, 3 March 2008 - TomTom, the world’s leading provider of navigation solutions, today announced the launch of the HD Traffic™ Receiver which will deliver TomTom’s superior traffic information to existing and new TomTom customers. The HD Traffic Receiver has a built-in SIM card for GPRS connectivity and plugs into the vehicle’s cigarette lighter. Available as a stand-alone accessory, as well as being included in the box of select models of the TomTom GO family, it comes with a six-month subscription to the HD Traffic service.

Thanks to its unique approach of combining the best traffic data from multiple sources, TomTom HD Traffic allows users to easily plan the smartest route to their destination. Users receive [up to five times] more traffic updates so that they are better informed about the traffic situation on their route and receive more accurate travel and arrival times. In addition, HD Traffic covers [at least ten times] more roads, so drivers know in advance that the alternative route they take is actually a smarter option, thus avoiding any unnecessary delays.

The HD Traffic information service is currently available in the Netherlands and is planned to be rolled out in Germany and the United Kingdom this year. The French service will be launched in 2009.

“For all drivers, avoiding traffic jams--before and during their journey--is crucial to getting to their destination,” said Harold Goddijn, chief executive officer, TomTom. “With the HD Traffic Receiver, now TomTom GO customers can benefit from our superior HD traffic information.”

The HD Traffic Receiver makes receiving traffic information very easy. Drivers simply insert one end into the mini-USB port of their TomTom device and the other into the cigarette lighter adaptor of their car.

The new TomTom HD Traffic Receiver features a GPRS modem and is powered by a 12-24 volt cigarette lighter adapter. With a built in Lithium-ion battery, a weight of only 128 grams and measuring at 122 mm x 45 mm x 25 mm, the TomTom HD Traffic Receiver is completely portable.

Pricing & availability:

The existing products that the HD Traffic Receiver will be compatible with are:
• TomTom GO 930 (T)
• TomTom GO 730 (T)
• TomTom GO 530 (T)
• TomTom GO 920 (T)
• TomTom GO 720 (T)
• TomTom GO 520 (T)

The HD Traffic Receiver will be offered at a recommended retail price of Euro 99.95, including a six month HD Traffic subscription worth Euro 60. It will also be included with the new TomTom GO 730 HD Traffic and the new TomTom GO 930 HD.

The HD Traffic service is offered for an all-inclusive fixed fee. This features no hidden costs and the subscription can be easily renewed after its initial duration.

The HD Traffic Receiver will be made compatible with other TomTom products later this year through a software update in all countries where HD Traffic is available.

Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not going to be easily used if using a Brodit Active mount and the cable looks rather short to reach from the cigar socket to a dash or windscreen mounted unit.
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will need Carcomm and Brodit to adapt their cradles or some user modifications.

I think the cable is longer than would appear from the PR shots! It obviously vastly improves the TMC data quality and reception issues, the question is how many of us could justify the expense? I couldn't but road warriors may perhaps benefit.
perussell
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be interesting to see the difference in data between the new service and the current GPRS offering to which I already subscribe. 9.95€ per month does seem a bit steep though compared to the current £30 per annum. It will need to be good to justify that kind of expense though it is nice to see a manufacturer offering something new that can be applied to older models and doesn't automatically require purchase of a complete new unit.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Don't forget that much of the additional cost is because the data connection is included, at the moment TRAFFIC does not include your data charges.
rtj70
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm using the GPRS Traffic option again since December. And very good it has been. Now for some more money and "unlimited" updates over GPRS included and all within the power adapter - I'd be interested.

Currently have a non-GPRS work phone, TomTom 720 and an old PAYG mobile for the traffic GPRS connection. If I didn't have to worry about having a second phone I think this is good.

And once you buy this... not easy to justify moving from TomTom to say a Garmin?
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MikeB,

I was hoping that the new TomTom 930, 730, and 530 units would come with a SIM slot in the actual unit and not have to reply on HD Traffic via what looks like an afterthought designed power cable. I can understand TomTom providing a power cable with SIM for previous models, but surely current models should have the SIM in the unit itself.

As xda has already said, the power supply is not easy to use if you use Brodit or Carcomm. That’s more expense when Brodit or Carcomm produce new holders.

When will HD Traffic be ready in the UK?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
SpeedCam
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder if the subscription is country based or european, ie does the price include call costs just in the country of purchase or anywhere in the Europe. If it is European then the subscription cost is not too high.

If it is country based, how will the device work if you travel from the Uk into France (due 2009), extra charges, or no service. It looks like the HD receiver also includes or connects to the TMC receiver. The pictures at YourNAV are interesting:

http://www.yournav.com/content/n/423/TomTom_CeBIT_GO_x30_NC_8_HD_Traffic.html
[/img]
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you will find that only the last image is the HD Traffic accessory, the rest are just normal TMC device shots.
Ray-of-Sunshine
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
I can understand TomTom providing a power cable with SIM for previous models, but surely current models should have the SIM in the unit itself.

I just can't see TomTom providing me with the ability to have HD Traffic via a power cord with my TomTom One New Edition (v2) somehow, I think they will expect me to upgrade the unit itself. Which I must say I would certainly be tempted if the price is right and there is good reviews of the system compared to the current system. But as I live in Central Scotland I expect for me at least I wont notice any diffference and they will still be roadworks and delays not reported and ones that are shown that dont exist Laughing Out Loud

Edit: Dam just noticed that it wouldnt be compatible with my TomTom One anyway
ItsMikeE
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2008 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any feedback from the Netherlands on how well the Traffic HD works? and how many people are using it?

Presumably the more people that use it, the better the information gets, so it might be a hard sell at the beginning.
limans75
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
MikeB,

I was hoping that the new TomTom 930, 730, and 530 units would come with a SIM slot in the actual unit and not have to reply on HD Traffic via what looks like an afterthought designed power cable. I can understand TomTom providing a power cable with SIM for previous models, but surely current models should have the SIM in the unit itself.

Regards,

In answer to your question, I really dont know what they intend to do for the UK launch of the x30 range, however if you look watch the below video clip of an interview with a member of the TomTom PR Machine, you will see that in the netherlands they have actually launched the TomTom OneXL with a built in simcard, and as you say I think it would be a great idea to launch the x30 range with this facility, UNLESS they want to make more money out of us by forcing us to buy the HD periferal.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=64620

The Video provides a good insight into the HD technology
JimmyTheHand
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2008 7:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ItsMikeE wrote:
Presumably the more people that use it, the better the information gets, so it might be a hard sell at the beginning.

I'd guess it would be from the
agreement Vodaphone development - so probably doesn't need lots of users to make it work
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 30, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Latest Dates??? Reply with quote

What is the latest news on the date for HD traffic to be released in the UK? I thought it was by the end of April.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to: