Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman F20 with B2+ / T1
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman F20 with B2+ / T1

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
kajak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Navman F20 with B2+ / T1 Reply with quote

Are the aerial connection sockets different between the B2+ (bluetooth hands free / traffic module combined) and T1 modules?
Ive been reading through the forums and it seems the best way to get a signal with the T1 is to get these http://www.expansys.com/p.aspx?i=100140 http://www.maplin.co.uk/Search.aspx?criteria=QT30H&source=15&SD=Y .

I havnt found any posts with anyone talking about the B2+ but after reading one thread it clicked in my mind that it looks like the T1 has a MCX socket and I know the aerial that comes with my B2+ looks more like a headphone connection.

If so what do I need to connect my B2+ to a Miniscan aerial from maplins?

I live in Southport and cant get any kind of signal with the internal aerial, Ive drove around Southport / Liverpool / Preston and Manchester with it and only picked up a signal once in Manchester so looks like the external arieal is my best hope for it to work.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What you want is one of These - I still have two remaining so if you PM/ E-Mail your address I will put one in the post, Oh and you could consider getting the SkyScan as its slightly better suited for working around 100MHz (the car looks a little strange with that stuck on the roof though) - Mike
kajak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike I’ve sent you a PM, the message saved in the outbox though when I clicked send and not the sent area so not sure if it’s got to you or not, if not ill just email ya.

Yeah I was looking at the Skyscan and tbh if I was still driving everyday for my job I probably would of gone for that but just for casual use think I would prefer the neater looking one.

Maplins have a 14day return so if the Miniscan is no good Ill swap it for the Skyscan one. Thats my plan Smile
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, off topic but I can only find two threads that even mention the Navman B2+.

Disregarding the bluetooth element - can anyone tell me if the hardware, antennas themselves or antenna/power connections on the B2+ are any different from the T1? They're both cheap as chips now so happy to take a flyer and pick one up for my N20 (they both work with that model don't they?) but wonder if it's worth the B2+ over the T1 for any reason. It also looks that the B2+ is a little smaller than the T1 perhaps - anyone know about these bits of kit? Cheers.
kajak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tbh You might as well just get the T1 because the handsfree on the B2+ isn’t that fantastic, the sound / mic quality ranges from average when driving at normal speeds to poor when going over 70 on a motorway, because of the background noise it’s hard for you and the other person to hear each other well.

The power connection is the same and I take it from what Mike has said that the aerial connection is the same also.
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 03, 2008 8:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Kajak. Do you think the B2+ is any smaller/compact than the T1? Given that it's only about a fiver between that and the T1 I might just get the B2+ if it's a little smaller.
kajak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure the B2+ is larger because of the buttons its front.
kajak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Mar 04, 2008 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im sure the B2+ is larger because of the buttons on its front.
kajak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2008 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just confirmed yesterday stevem999 that the connection for the aerial on the B2+ is different to the T1. The T1 has a MXC connection, were the B2+ is a 2mm headphone socket. So the usual fix of getting an external aerial and using the BNC to MXC cable to connect it won’t work unless you modify it.
So I’m getting my money back and have ordered a T1 to save the hassle.
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2008 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi there, I used my Navman B2+ along with my N20 on a return trip from Merseyside to Somerset at the weekend and reception was iffy at best. However I don't think I had the antenna exactly as it should be, basically because it's too short. I have my N20 on the centre near my vents and the antenna to run it across to the side and up the windscreen is way too short. Before deciding if I buy an external aerial instead, I'd like to extend my cable and run it up the windscreen. The B2+ has a headphone style jack (2.5mm I think), so I have two questions - does anyone know if the wiring in the antenna cable is to the same poles in the jack as a headphone cable, and if so, does anyone know a cheap place to get 2.5mm headphone extensions?!
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 5:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bump - sorry folks - really want to extend that aerial and can't go for an external instead.
Machina
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had one of these and used the item below:

http://www.cartft.com/catalog/il/539
stevem999
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that - a little pricey but I guess it could be the way forward.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Traffic Message Channel (TMC) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: