Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 520 showing actual position of vehicle about 100 yards out
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

520 showing actual position of vehicle about 100 yards out
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
david8584
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 29, 2008 10:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tonight at 8pm this started happning to my tt920t. a drift of about 100y on my journey home from camden north london to cheshunt m25. this drift was happning through my whole jorney of 45 minutes. it was off so much that it kept telling me i was going the wrong way down a one way street. I to reguarly update quickfix.

Last edited by david8584 on Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:31 am; edited 1 time in total
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 1:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Philgo wrote:
Thanks for putting me right Oldboy. That could mean then that there is a problem with a satellite, although perhaps not if shadamehr's new one works OK.

I will let you know mate, but it will be next Wednesday before I make the usual "repeat" journey where this most often manifested itself.

If it does do it again however, you can safely rule out QuickGPSFix as the cause, as I have categorically DISABLED this with my new device, so as to test it proper.

I CAN state that coming home from work tonight however, I glanced at my NEW unit, and I was again around 100 yards, out, BUT a mere second or two after looking at it, I drove over the Redheugh Bridge, and thus the TT 'snapped' me on to the right road, as it was the ONLY road for 100's of yards around.

So alas, utterly inconclusive as to whether my problem was back, or if it was just a normal location error that 'can' happen from time to time, for a few seconds.

It certainly had me starting to get worried however.

But it will, in truth, take me time to test this, in terms of night-time usage, when it normally manifests itself.

If it DOES do this again however, like I say, my new device won't ever even know what QGPSF is, so we could at least then once and for all, rule out this being the reason.

What we need here, is not (no offence to mike, he can only report the facts as they apply to him) someone who does not use QGPSF, stating they have no problems. As not everyone has had this issue, and indeed some that DO use QGPSF have not yet suffered the issue.

What we DO need, as a proper scientific test, is someone who does NOT use QGPSF that IS still regularly having this problem.

This then CAN prove a specific fact.

Hence why my new device is running with it disabled/no such updates.

So I will let you all know if it DOES still do it, when it does it, but that will, if at all, be next Wednesday likely at the soonest alas.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 3:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Supposedly, when calibrating the satellite signal, choosing the 3rd option (seconds, I think) makes the signal most precise.

Maybe, that'll help; nothing to lose, anyway.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 8:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
What we need here, is not (no offence to mike, he can only report the facts as they apply to him) someone who does not use QGPSF, stating they have no problems. As not everyone has had this issue, and indeed some that DO use QGPSF have not yet suffered the issue.

What we DO need, as a proper scientific test, is someone who does NOT use QGPSF that IS still regularly having this problem.
Ok I will re-enable QGPS on one of my GPS equipped phones for a week or two and see if that falters, the four TT units I have are all capable of using aGPS/ QGPS etc but I have never found a need for it. I am sure you will also find the acquisition times to acheive a position fix are not really much different with/ without the aGPS, simple question though which phone do I enable it on............... Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 9:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'd like to back up Mike here. I have had an odd occasion of arriving home on target, then switching on and finding a device away from my position.

BUT I've been running the Beta map test for TomTom on one of my three devices. I have NOT downloaded QuickGPSfix onto that device and have never had it come up out of place. What's more, it is no slower at picking up the satellites on power-up!

My two devices which get QGPSF are occasionally (but quite rarely) going haywire, one which doesn't download stays firmly fixed on track. All three go everywhere, same conditions, same route planning, running in parallel (can THREE things run in parallel, or is that three-allel?). Thanks Mike, No Brainer for me - I guess in future I'll leave out QuickGPSfix for all devices, whilst keeping an eye on this thread to hear when it stops happening for you lot. Laughing

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm running QGPSF on my TomTom Go 720 but have never used it on the O2 XDA Orbit.

Both devices like DennisN work side by side, same route planned but have never had either device give an out of position fix. Both take about the same time to get a fix, the 720 beating the Orbit by a second or so.
Most of my driving is in the South, don't have a passport to go north of Watford. Laughing
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
I'd like to back up Mike here. I have had an odd occasion of arriving home on target, then switching on and finding a device away from my position.

BUT I've been running the Beta map test for TomTom on one of my three devices. I have NOT downloaded QuickGPSfix onto that device and have never had it come up out of place. What's more, it is no slower at picking up the satellites on power-up!

My two devices which get QGPSF are occasionally (but quite rarely) going haywire, one which doesn't download stays firmly fixed on track. All three go everywhere, same conditions, same route planning, running in parallel (can THREE things run in parallel, or is that three-allel?). Thanks Mike, No Brainer for me - I guess in future I'll leave out QuickGPSfix for all devices, whilst keeping an eye on this thread to hear when it stops happening for you lot. Laughing

I was just asked by Home if I wanted to Download QuickGPSFix.

No brainer what I said either *Laughing Out Loud*

By the way Dennis, what's the "Beta map Test for TomTom".

What's that entail or involve, or do?
falkirk81
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 12:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Its where you test new tomtom maps and applications. Ive signed up, but it just says, 'we are currently reviewing your application' and has done for several months now!

iPhone 12
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

falkirk81 wrote:
Its where you test new tomtom maps and applications. Ive signed up, but it just says, 'we are currently reviewing your application' and has done for several months now!

Yeah.

I was hoping he might give us all an insight into any new features with it however *Laughing Out Loud*
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No one is going to leak out new features when testing be it public Beta (as is the case with this specific map) it was sent out to around 1000 people or if they are testing hardware/ software etc - it is all covered under Non Disclosure agreements so they would have to be silly to say anything without express permission - Mike
shadamehr
Banned

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
No one is going to leak out new features when testing be it public Beta (as is the case with this specific map) it was sent out to around 1000 people or if they are testing hardware/ software etc - it is all covered under Non Disclosure agreements so they would have to be silly to say anything without express permission - Mike

They would indeed.

Not ALL beta software is covered by NDA's though.

hence why I had asked.

Not to worry
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

shadamehr wrote:
By the way Dennis, what's the "Beta map Test for TomTom".

What's that entail or involve, or do?

It entails or involves a "None Disclosure Agreement" which I'm not about to disclose! There was a thread (or three) about it around Christmas time when several people announced they had volunteered and subsequently several (including me) announced they'd been selected. On at least one thread, I locked it to prevent inadvertent discussion from breaking the NDA. When the test is concluded, we shall all be rewarded with a free new map and a free 2GB SD card (which the test map came on - woweee!!!). My last word on the subject, so don't ask.

PS whilst typing this I see there have already been replies to this effect, but I can't be bothered not to let this upload.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Hoppy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Downloaded the GPSFix last night again when switching on the unit my posistion was about 100yrds out in a different direction this time. I was sat at home, I did a route to home and it gave me a 324yrd drive to my home. Fixed it's self after about 20mins.
NA 2GB v8.45
Johnny_D
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Supposedly, when calibrating the satellite signal, choosing the 3rd option (seconds, I think) makes the signal most precise.

Maybe, that'll help; nothing to lose, anyway.

I'm quoting the above as I wonder if there is any truth to it?

JD
Bloody Superb PGPSW Camera Database.
Not much else!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 02, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I very much doubt that will make any difference what so ever, the three formats used are:

Decimal degrees
Degrees decimal minutes
Degrees minutes and seconds

The actual accuracy will be the same for any of the three formats, only the representation will differ - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 5 of 7

Jump to: