Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Suction mount on fuel tank?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Suction mount on fuel tank?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users
View previous topic :: View next topic  
ADJenkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 3:55 pm    Post subject: Suction mount on fuel tank? Reply with quote

Has anybody tried this? I was thinking (as mounts for the Garmin i3 are few and far between) of trying mine stuck to the fuel tank using the standard windscreen mount. The tank is nice and flat in the centre on a Triumph Thunderbird Sport. The bit that bothers me, occasionally in the car it will drop off the screen and land in my lap. At 70-80mph if it pops off the tank...................
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Suction mount on fuel tank? Reply with quote

ADJenkins wrote:
At 70-80mph if it pops off the tank...................

Get a 2 foot length of that heavy duty anchor chain you use to lock the bike wheel to a lamp post, weld one end to the mount and the other to the brake lever. When/if it does fall off at 70-80mph, it'll automatically apply the brake to help you get back below the speed limit. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
ADJenkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Naturally I had considered this option, however my Abus chain is just a bit too long and would result in my poor little Garmin bouncing along on the tarmac. Not a good position for a Sat Nav.. Sad

You've given me an idea though, some sort of tether wire/cable just in case.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Back in the good old days, in my misspent youth of 60-ish years ago, I saw many cowboy films. The answer to your problem is to swing down to hang out of view of the Indians off the saddle - you'd see the satnav piece of cake (and the Indians wouldn't get you either)! You don't get that with DVDs these days. Sad

Feed the tether wire through a net bag so that it draws into it and doesn't go tapping your lower bits.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you are serious about using the i3 on the bike; mounting issues are one thing, but I would look at sticking one of the dash mount disks to the top of the tank before using the suction mount to attach the i3 to its surface.

For restraint there is little option with the i3 other than to open the case, put it face down on the table and use a Torx bit number 6 to remove the four screws securing the case together, once apart you can drill a couple of holes in the rear shell and pass a lanyard through it.

Please bear in mind if the i3 were to fly off the bike at motorway speeds it could easily go through a car windscreen so the method of attachment needs to be secure, have a look at the mounting systems offered by RAM these rely on a physical connection between the bike and device - far more reliable than the suction units which are not suitable on a bike IMHO - Mike
ADJenkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 25, 2008 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Mike, These RAM mounts are just what I've been trying to come up with using various ideas with 17mm beads (which the Garmin uses). If I had a lathe (or access to one) I was going to turn something to fit on the mirror stalk or similar. I've mailed RAM to find out more about a mount with the required 17mm ball. My 'suction mount/fuel tank' was the last resort.
Despite all my searching with Google (and I know a few tricks) I never found a link to RAM.

Andy.
surreypete
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 9:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How did you get on with this reply ADJenkins?

I want to mount my Nuvi 310 to the handlebars of my motorbike and was thinking of how to do it, I even contemplated putting the sucker mount on the speedo glass but thought that a bit dodgy, besides I would block the speedo and in this day and age that's very risky.

I'm thinking along the same lines, fit a clamp to the handlebar with the same size ball that the Nuvi mount has so it just pops on, although still worried that the vibrations of the bike would make it pop off.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 26, 2008 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps something like This for the Nuvi, coupled to This for the bike might be what you are looking for, there are plenty of other bike addaptors though so check the range out fully before committing to a particular device - Mike
ADJenkins
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 28, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've had a reply from RAM Mounts. They do a fitting for the rear of the i3 (Part No. RAM-HOL-GA22) which you then fit to one of their arm/handlebar fittings (Part No. RAM-B-149Z or RAM-B-149ZA). These are all available from www.gpsw.co.uk

However, I've decided to go down another route. If I remove one of the bolts holding the clutch lever clamp on and replace it with one with a 17mm ball on the end (see my drawing at http://www.rover75.org.uk/GPS-Bolt.jpg ) it will be far neater. I'm having a local bespoke engineering company turn it for me next week using stainless steel, around £20. I know it's a lot for a 'bolt' but for one-off engineering it's not bad.

Andy Jenkins.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Motorcycle GPS Users All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: