Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync)
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 5:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly, I am beginning to wonder if they are in financial trouble...I haven't had a response to my email from last Friday.
djhpk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:13 pm    Post subject: PC Planning Software (Sat-Sync) Reply with quote

I had sent some emails to Satmap in January without receiving any form of response. Then, last week, I had a problem with my email client being unable to contact the btinternet POP server (my email service is with btinternet) and so I was driven to look for my email via the btinternet web site.

I found, to my amazement, a folder called "bulk" containing 28 unread messages, including replies from Satmap!!!!!!!!!!

These messages were being treated as spam and were being held for a month before deletion by a service called Spamguard the existence of which I was totally unaware. This was also holding messages from organisations whose emails had been reaching me in December.

I have now turned Spamguard off and have had several fruitful email exchanges with Satmap this week.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Sadly, I am beginning to wonder if they are in financial trouble...I haven't had a response to my email from last Friday.

I sent them a couple of 'when's the hidden route firmware update expected' emails and got no reply...so perhaps it depends what you ask them.
lxm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 9:47 pm    Post subject: Satsync Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
:?

How to transfer a route from your PC to your Active 10 using Satsync Beta (yes I know the clue is in the software name but...)

Create your route of choice using the only supported software Memory Map, save it as a GPX file on your PC.
Plug in your Active10, start Satsync and then use it to transfer the above file on to either the SD card or the Internal Memory.
Spot your GPX file appearing in the right place in the Satsync window..
Unplug your Active 10 and then turn it off.
Then turn it on and wait for it to boot up and the SD card to be read......
Go to the Route Menu to see your chosen route is not there.
Plug your Active 10 in, start Satsync and transfer your chosen route to the other memory option.
Spot your GPX file appearing in the right place in the Satsync window.....as well as the original right place in the Satsync window.
Come to the conclusion that something is wrong with the original GPX so plot another version of the same route then save it as a GPX file with a slightly different name on your PC.
Plug in your Active10, start Satsync and then use it to transfer the above file on to either the SD card or the Internal Memory.
Spot your GPX file appearing in the right place in the Satsync window......along with both of the old versions
Go to Create Route and plot your chosen route.

I sense Satsync is going to be a loooooooong way off :roll:

I'm new to this forum (indeed to all fora), and new to Satmap (took delivery on Monday), and got Satsync (v.1.0.21 Beta) from Lewis Price who emailed it to me within half and hour of my call.

Like robs I messed around for a bit copying .gpx files onto the device/SD and then couldn't find them. The trick is NOT to copy them, but to IMPORT them (File/Import) which converts a .gpx file to a .map file which Satmap can read. I have been happily converting .mmo files (downloads from walkingworld.com), translating them to .gpx (using GPSU), importing them as .map files to Satmap ever since. It also works in the opposite direction. I've also been planning on Google Earth and again, converting the .kmz files via GPSO to .gpx and then importing via Satsync to Satmap.

First impressions of Satmap almost entirely favourable (and yes, I have read almost all of the posts on most of the discussion topics going here, and I can appreciate the frustration of the early investors who have been waiting... and waiting....).

I have suggested (and no, I don't think I was the first) that Satmap could take 30 seconds to create a download link to the current Beta on the website (which is pretty, but pants), and that they might mention that copying files is pointless, and that importing is way to go.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2008 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I did eventually twig that if the GPX file you were transfering didn't appear as a .map file in the window then it wouldn't be seen once you rebooted it as it hadn't been converted.....a combination of not using it often enough to know what I did differently when when it worked and the wording of the help file meant my transfer success rate was about 33% Rolling Eyes Laughing

From the help file.

Copying:

4 Select your desired route file
5. Press the ‘Open’ button. The file will then appear in SatSYNC. If it is a supported .gpx file, this will go straight to the Satmap Files area.

Importing

4 Select your desired route (ensure it is a .gpx file)
5 Press the ‘Open’ button and the route will appear in the Satmap Files area on the SatSYNC window.

Earlier in the file:

Satmap Files: this area shows users all .map files on the storage area selected.

So the moral is....Import....copying is useless!!
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
So the moral is....Import....copying is useless!!

Copying is not useless...it's just not very well explained in the help files (well it is a beta after all). If you have accumulated route, track and waypoint data in your Active 10, then copying is a useful tool- for backing up that data to your PC as .map files, and for reloading those files to your Active 10 at a later time (or e-mailing them to others with an A10 who can then use them). Of course, you could convert that data to .gpx format with the export function in SatSync, but that modifies the data, and saving data in it's original format is always the best option if there's no pressing reason to convert it to another format (e.g. .gpx). Once I got to grips with the beta of SatSync, I can't say I've had any problems with it, other than speed when transferring multiple files. The interface is still a bit clunky, but the essential functionality is there.
lxm
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:11 am    Post subject: Satsync Copying Reply with quote

I stand corrected - copying good for backup and sharing of A10 routes between A10 users Laughing , import good for creating A10 readable routes from other data (once coverted to .gpx format) Very Happy.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think people's priority since the A10 came out is getting their routes on to it...and as such Copy is useless for this....not useless completely.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 23, 2008 3:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
I think people's priority since the A10 came out is getting their routes on to it...and as such Copy is useless for this....not useless completely.

Point taken Wink
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Satsync Reply with quote

lxm wrote:
robs1972 wrote:
Confused

How to transfer a route from your PC to your Active 10 using Satsync Beta (yes I know the clue is in the software name but...)

Create your route of choice using the only supported software Memory Map, save it as a GPX file on your PC.
Spot your GPX file appearing in the right place in the Satsync window..
Plug your Active 10 in, start Satsync and transfer your chosen route to the other memory option.
Spot your GPX file appearing in the right place in the Satsync window.....as well as the original right place in the Satsync window.
Come to the conclusion that something is wrong with the original GPX so plot another version of the same route then save it as a GPX file with a slightly different name on your PC.
Spot your GPX file appearing in the right place in the Satsync window......along with both of the old versions
Go to Create Route and plot your chosen route.

I sense Satsync is going to be a loooooooong way off Rolling Eyes

I'm new to this forum (indeed to all fora), and new to Satmap (took delivery on Monday), and got Satsync (v.1.0.21 Beta) from Lewis Price who emailed it to me within half and hour of my call.

Like robs I messed around for a bit copying .gpx files onto the device/SD and then couldn't find them. The trick is NOT to copy them, but to IMPORT them (File/Import) which converts a .gpx file to a .map file which Satmap can read. I have been happily converting .mmo files (downloads from walkingworld.com), translating them to .gpx (using GPSU), importing them as .map files to Satmap ever since. It also works in the opposite direction. I've also been planning on Google Earth and again, converting the .kmz files via GPSO to .gpx and then importing via Satsync to Satmap.

Right...I'm pretty sure it's not me being stupid.
I've spent a good few minutes trying to upload 5 Memory Map GPX routes that I've created over the last few weeks.....each one IMPORTED to the Active 10's internal memory using SatStink v1.21 and it confirmed each had successfully converted and transfered. Unplugged the unit, turned it on again and only one is showing....with it's original route name of Route 22 rather than the file name I gave it when I saved the route as a GPX file....so I spend a minute or two editing the name on the unit. Plug the unit in again and delete the .MAP files that show in the window but didn't show up in the unit leaving the one route that had transfered successfully. Unplug it, turn it on and that route I renamed on the unit has disappeared.

This is all beginning to be rather depressing Confused
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 2:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am DETERMINED to get these blasted routes on my A10....and I now have but I don't know what caused this success. I named the route in the Properties box on Memory Map and gave the route exactly the same name when I saved it as a GPX file. Used SatSunk to transfer the route to both the Internal and SD card. Unplug, turn off, turn on and the route appears twice, once in SD and once in Internal Very Happy ....do method again with another two routes in one PC-unit connection....the result both routes appear twice Very Happy Very Happy try it again with one other route, the result again appears twice Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy fifth and final route and it only appears in the Internal memory even though I sent it to both. In theory I should be happy because I now have the 5 routes in the A10 and all my hair in place but it still remains why the last route only appears once when every time I did the same thing!! Confused And dare I delete the duplicated routes!!?? Shocked
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could always use the Routes/ Edit/ Copy Route to SD card for the 5th route so it is on both storage media - no idea why it behaves like this though - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 23, 2008 3:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't want it on both I was just sending one to both in the hope one might appear on the unit somehow.

SatSunk is definitely a lottery.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10
Page 10 of 10

Jump to: