Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Red Light cameras.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Light cameras.

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 1:26 am    Post subject: Red Light cameras. Reply with quote

Just a thought that maybe members might like to kick around and see if it would be a good idea if when submitting the location of a redlights cameras . Would it be a good idea to include the speed limit at that location?

I personally think it would be handy to have this figure included. I'll throw it open to the membership for comments
Border_Collie
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PGPSW has said there are no plans to include red light cameras or bus lanes etc. They do not come under the criteria of 'Safety' and the idea is to help people stay within the law, not break it. So people shouldn't jump red lights or drive in bus lanes.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
PGPSW has said there are no plans to include red light cameras or bus lanes etc. They do not come under the criteria of 'Safety' and the idea is to help people stay within the law, not break it. So people shouldn't jump red lights or drive in bus lanes.

That is just the point, if red light cameras follow the same critea as speed cameras, then they are located at accident blackspots and therefore they should be included and as many are now doubling up as speed cameras when the lights are green then there is even more reason for their inclusion.

To say no them being in the database, which they are already, also means that here should be no camera detectors at all and hence no no database either. I do agree with there being no bus lane cameras as these are very clear to see as the bus lanes themselves are highly visiable, unless it has snowed.

Anyway back to redlights, if you get a warning about redlight cameras it should straight away put you on guard, looking out for others jumping the lights because the cameras are not going to be put there if there was not a reason for them being there, after all, why do some lights have them and not others?

If the alert saves one fatal accident then the inclusion was well worth it in my view.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Redlight cameras are already included with speed limits where known or applicable.

RedSpeed cameras are also included.

If you have a look at the map on the Safety Camera page you'll see Redlight cameras are there.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 10:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Redlight cameras are already included with speed limits where known or applicable.

Yes, I know, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea if when people submit reports of a new camera or an update to include the known speed limit as a standard. If nothing else it serves as a reminder as to what the speed limit is. This could be a useful safety feature if you're in a strange location and PGPSW would be doing their bit towards safety and helping to promote the speed camera detectors as a true safety device and not a tool to assist breaking the law.

Also it would cover any covert operations to convert these redlight cameras into redspeed cameras as the speed warning would already be there and we should react accordingly. If my DS unit gives me a speed limit warning when it alerts me to a redlight camera, I automatically check my speed as well.

Anybody who drives along the A13 in London will know just how easy it is to lose your license as the speed limit varies from 30mph to 50mph and back again and any warning here for instance would be a great help especially for strangers to the area.

As to wether the Drive Smart database can handle them, the answer is yes, some locations already do include the speed limit, the only restriction the unit has is the amount of memory available to store the database in and I have no idea how much it can store. It can handle upto 1 extra database plus a user defined POI database so I expect that the extra amount of space needed to add in another parameter to the existing database should be no problem to it.

I will try and find out what the actual capacity of its storage is.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

specmaster wrote:
Yes, I know, but I was wondering if it would be a good idea if when people submit reports of a new camera or an update to include the known speed limit as a standard.

It certainly would and it would also be pretty useful to some users and the accuracy of the PGPSW database as a whole if, when people submit reports of a new camera or an update, if they also included an accurate heading (direction of travel to get 'caught') of the cam as well.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 2:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I will try and find out what the actual capacity of its storage is.

The Drive Smart unit has 1Mb of storage on board and this should be enough to store well in excess of 100,000 camera locations complete with speed and direction data as well and still have some space for extras like POI and extra databases.

The more I find out about the unit the more I like it. It was way ahead of its time and the only thing going against now is the appearance is dated.

I hope they can get the company running again with a new manuefacturing/marketing partner and refine the idea a bit more and they could have a fantastic product on their hands unless it was overpriced.
GJF
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="specmaster"]
Quote:
The more I find out about the unit the more I like it. It was way ahead of its time and the only thing going against now is the appearance is dated.

I hope they can get the company running again with a new manuefacturing/marketing partner and refine the idea a bit more and they could have a fantastic product on their hands unless it was overpriced.

I agree, this machine has more potential that others give it credit for, it might look old fashioned but "hopefully" it doesn't apeal to the scum bags who might otherwise take a fancy to nicking it.

On the DS forum (of old) someone joked that it looked like a taxi meter when attached to the windscreen, on top of the dashboard, last year whilst waiting for my son on the outside, back end of a taxi rank, a young woman thought i was a taxi Shocked i must add that although i was tempted, i didn't offer her a lift.
HTC Advantage X7500 MS 6.1 Tchart Speed Sentry
Satmap Active 10, Software v1.16
Fuzion 32 HUD Bluetooth GPS receiver
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2008 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I agree, this machine has more potential that others give it credit for, it might look old fashioned but "hopefully" it doesn't apeal to the scum bags who might otherwise take a fancy to nicking it.

Everyone who has been in my car and seen it in operation all say they want one so I'm sure that with the pricing set right and an agreesive marketing campaign the unit could well enjoy a new lease of life.

If only I had the means of doing so I would'nt mind making and marketing it for them but alas it just a dream for me. Lets hope that someone with the resources comes along soon and breathes more life into it.

I know the developers have plans for it with new features etc (thanks to it being software upgradable) and it would be a shame if their ideas where to be restricted to just a few people, it deserves a far wider user base then it currently has.

Who knows what the future holds?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: