Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Very annoying...again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Very annoying...again
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 11:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I must have spent £50 on AA batteries since I got the unit. The battery life is simply appalling. I've been let down so many times when the batteries have died whilst on a walk and I haven't had any spares with me. I know I MUST always carry spare batteries but the battery life is pitiful with the screen on 30% brightness and auto screen off after 1 minute. I certainly hope the LiPol pack is better otherwise the £500 I've spent on the Satmap including map cards + £50 or more on batteries is a total waste of money. Wish I'd bought a Garmin in hindsight, it may not have OS mapping but at least it would be reliable.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
Wish I'd bought a Garmin in hindsight, it may not have OS mapping but at least it would be reliable.

My new Garmin C300 got through it's first two Duracell AAs yesterday. They've lasted about 8 hours of walking use - and a bit of playing with it (so some more than usual backlight use) - and I didn't turn the electronic compass off for the first few days. I will still continue to use it alongside my paper maps (from MemoryMap / Anquet) but I have been doing some custom maps for it (just trails and local access roads with contours) They look quite neat and have more detail than the Garmin Topo UK.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you say you have consumed about £50 in batteries can I ask a couple of things:

1/ What type of battery are you using make/ model etc
2/ Do you take the cells out of the device when not in use
3/ How long does the device typically last with a fresh set of batteries

I have found that with Lithium Energizer cells fitted I can get over 10 hours use with the backlight on 100% and no power save options enabled, in typical use with the screen at a lower setting and power save enabled to turn off the screen within 30 seconds I get considerably longer - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
I must have spent £50 on AA batteries since I got the unit. The battery life is simply appalling. I've been let down so many times when the batteries have died whilst on a walk and I haven't had any spares with me. I know I MUST always carry spare batteries but the battery life is pitiful with the screen on 30% brightness and auto screen off after 1 minute. I certainly hope the LiPol pack is better otherwise the £500 I've spent on the Satmap including map cards + £50 or more on batteries is a total waste of money. Wish I'd bought a Garmin in hindsight, it may not have OS mapping but at least it would be reliable.

Pitiful!? Over the last two Saturdays I've been able to use my A10 for the main reason I bought it...I got the train to somewhere and then set off for a day ride using roads I'd never have considered riding without it...ie C-roads. On both occassions, from a set of fresh 2500 mAh rechargeables I've got just over 7 hours of constant on at 70% brightness.

I think in hindsight you should remember your spare batteries.
a10user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 11:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LostMike wrote:
Why are people picking holes in the new battery pack, which appears to have arrived ahead of the promised date, before anyone has even tried it?

I look forward to some posts by people who have tried the pack. But might a new topic (e.g. the new battery pack) be a better place to put the comments.

I used my new battery pack 2 sundays ago in the peak district, done a 16 ml walk with the a10 switched on all the times onGPS with the back light at 70%, 5 hours walk ,back in the car battery level 4 bars, used again following tuesday for another 16 ml walk , same setting as before another 5 hours walk, back in the car battery still 4 bars, that makes 10 hours at nearly full blast, last sunday another walk 18 ml 6 hours in the lakes same settings back in the car battery level 3 bar, so a total 16 hours of nearly at full power, i am happy with it., also at home inputting a couple of routes directly in the A10, this i presume takes a lot of juices from the battery, using the joystick zooming in and out, still 3 bars on the battery to date.I would like to keep using the A10 for another 15 ml walk in Derbyshire this Sunday to check if last for another 5 hours but I think I will recharge the pack this Saturday. Will be a bit of a strugle trying to change back to AA battery pack if needed. The one thing I dont like about the power pack is that makes a quite expensive equipment a bit on the cheap side.the battery pack looks like 2 batteries stuck together with plastic with a couple of wires sticking out, no purpose made cradle, But this is my opinion.
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

a10user wrote:
The one thing I dont like about the power pack is that makes a quite expensive equipment a bit on the cheap side.the battery pack looks like 2 batteries stuck together with plastic with a couple of wires sticking out, no purpose made cradle.
Any chance of a photo of the new battery pack, so we can get an idea? And just how tricky is it, to switch from the Li-Pol battery back to the AA cradle?
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I can work out how to post a picture, I will...suffice to say that I personally don't think it's too bad at all...bit like a phone battery with a lead thing to connect where the battery pack went. However, to think of replacing it on a walk.....well, depends on the walk and where...top of a mountain in foul weather, I think not...nice sunny day etc.etc., then maybe. My experience to date is that compared to regular batteries, it definately lasts longer, but I can't be precise.
ps Didn't I see a picture of the battery on their web site ?

The normal AA cell carrier removed

End view of the LiPol battery cell about to go in the active10

LiPol cell connected

LiPol cell connected and placed within the active10

Edit once to add pictures as per request from user - MikeAlder
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Didn't I see a picture of the battery on their web site ?
The only picture I can find on the website is the "Power Bundle" one which even when zoomed in, just shows the battery as a flat rectangle, similar to a PDA or 'phone battery. This picture has been there forever and there are no wires shown attached to it, so I am suspicious that it's rather different in the flesh, so to speak. However, I guess the more important thing is to hear from a number of users as to what actual battery life the Li-Pol batteries give. I don't know enough about the technology involved, but it's only 2700 mAh, which is less than the AA cells I'm using so how is it going to last longer? Unless it can maintain output at the necessary level of 3.7v or more (which I understand is the "Battery Critical" threshold) for longer than AA cells? Perhaps that's a characteristic of Li-Pol batteries? Does anyone out there know?
Dragsterman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Dragsterman wrote:

Pitiful!? Over the last two Saturdays I've been able to use my A10 for the main reason I bought it...I got the train to somewhere and then set off for a day ride using roads I'd never have considered riding without it...ie C-roads. On both occassions, from a set of fresh 2500 mAh rechargeables I've got just over 7 hours of constant on at 70% brightness.

Lithium Energiser batteries were what I used and they lasted 6 hours with the screen on 30% brightness with the auto screen off after 1 minute. There is clearly something wrong with the unit if you say you had 7 hours of constant use with the screen on at 70% brightness. The screen on mine also flickers like crazy when I put fresh Lithium Energiser batteries in. And this happens every time and lasts from anything between 10 minutes and an hour. The unit is appalling at finding a signal, and before you jump down my throat, yes I was in an open area without any tree cover. The unit also loses the satellite signal all too often and can take up to an hour to find them again therefore rendering use of the unit unreliable.

I normally always take spare batteries by the way. As I said I have spent a small fortune on batteries since I got the unit. £50 minimum easily.

So, yes, I would say pitiful performance.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LiPol Battery pictures added to the earlier post, thanks to FrequentFlyer for the pictures - Mike Alder
a10user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PloddinPedro wrote:
a10user wrote:
The one thing I dont like about the power pack is that makes a quite expensive equipment a bit on the cheap side.the battery pack looks like 2 batteries stuck together with plastic with a couple of wires sticking out, no purpose made cradle.
Any chance of a photo of the new battery pack, so we can get an idea? And just how tricky is it, to switch from the Li-Pol battery back to the AA cradle?

Not very tricky at home , actually quite easy to take the old caddy and fit the new one, I suppose that u can take a spare LI-pOI BATTERY, I have noticed in the sat nav web site tha u can by a spare hattery for about £24.00, to change back to aa battery when out I dont think I will try it, it's a bit tricky with the connectors, they are very small and fiddly to put on.
sorry i dont know how to attach a picture in herem hope someone will
PloddinPedro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
Lithium Energiser batteries were what I used and they lasted 6 hours with the screen on 30% brightness with the auto screen off after 1 minute. There is clearly something wrong with the unit if you say you had 7 hours of constant use with the screen on at 70% brightness. The screen on mine also flickers like crazy when I put fresh Lithium Energiser batteries in. And this happens every time and lasts from anything between 10 minutes and an hour. The unit is appalling at finding a signal, and before you jump down my throat, yes I was in an open area without any tree cover. The unit also loses the satellite signal all too often and can take up to an hour to find them again therefore rendering use of the unit unreliable.
Dragsterman, I think you might benefit from 'phoning Satmap and having a conversation with them about this. I can't say I've accurately analysed the posts to this forum but the general impression I've gained is that there is a wide range in the experience various owners have re. battery life. As you will probably have read, some people seem to get quite satisfactory battery life. I regard my unit's performance as pretty poor on rechargeables but I did get better results than you with the Energizer Lithiums and my unit has never suffered from the flickering screen. If mine was as bad as yours, I'd be claiming it is faulty and seeking a replacement or a full refund. Several people, including me, have found the people at Satmap to be very fair in dealing with genuine complaints and problems. They sent me a brand new replacement immediately, without seeking the return of the duff unit first, and I can't fault them on individual service. It has to be worth a try?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dragsterman wrote:
robs1972 wrote:
Dragsterman wrote:

I normally always take spare batteries by the way. As I said I have spent a small fortune on batteries since I got the unit. £50 minimum easily.

So, yes, I would say pitiful performance.

The flickering seems to be common after the insertion of new Li AAs. I'd use rechargables and see what life you get from them. Regarding the signal....what does the satelite status page show you about how many satelites it's picking up?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say there is clear fault with your device if you are only getting 6 hours from a new set of Lithiums - I assume you didn't insert them to the device prior to starting the duration timing as the device will consume power from the cells even when powered off? - just a thought.

For comparison I have had well in excess of ten hours using the Lithium cells with the device on all the time and the backlight at 100%
The similar coloured Energizer Ultimate cells offer around half the duration from what I have found, I bought a couple of packs of these by mistake a while back thinking I had got a bargain Embarassed I only mention this as its an easy mistake to make - Mike
IanHibbert
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

How do you know the new unit is fully charged? Does it charge via the USB and display a 'battery full' indicator when ready?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: