Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - NMEA/SiRF mode?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

NMEA/SiRF mode?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quantum wrote:
Come to think of it, isn't it possible to set TomTom for going on foot? Maybe this is what it actually does.

The "On foot" setting in TomTom just tells the routing algorithms to ignore the restrictions on one-way and pedestrianised areas - which obviously need to be adhered to in a car/motor-bike etc. The snap-to-centre-line is still in operation. If you want altitude use a topo-mapping program like OziexplorerCE (www.oziexplorer.com) excellent s/w - and I am only a user of it before anyone asks! It doesn't do routing however - but you can have fun creating your own routes with waypoints - just like real navigating Wink
amdaman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is there any advantages of running SiRF mode over NEMA then? Both modes work with TomTom for me but I have to say NEMA with WAAS enabled is very accurate indeed.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Aug 26, 2006 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would leave the SiRF mode alone stick to NMEA, there are certain tweaks you can perform with SiRF but for car navigation NMEA is fine, I do use SiRF when using the GPS for walking to turn off the Static Navigation, I have also found very little difference in the positional accuracy with the WAAS set to on or off.
Just for the record TomTom version 5 will only work using the NMEA data protocol, so I would guess you are using TT vs3 or earlier? (I have included this last part incase someone switches their receiver to SiRF and wonders why TomTom has sudenly stopped working - Mike
oferb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 2:38 pm    Post subject: gplim 236 crash from sirf demo Reply with quote

[quote="Quantum"] Whatever you do, don't use SiRFDemo, as it seems it switches at the same time, mode to SiRF and baud to 57600. Unfortunately bluetooth can only run at 38400, so the 236 goes dead. Even Holux warned me against SiRFDemo, and implied the 236 cannot work in SiRF. I have tried to confirm this, but they are now not responding. ([url=mailto:Water_Lin@holux.com.tw]Water Lin[/url]) Some pods inhibit the baud change command, but I gather that the 236 does not, and just commits suicide.

well I just did that Sad
and now my 236 is transmitting garbage if it does anything at all.
is there a way back?
Thanx

well.. 2 hours later - found this place
http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=44809
and it is back to normal
Thanx

Last edited by oferb on Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
AllyCat
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 3:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

If you're patient, then just take out the battery and wait for several days. When the internal backup battery goes flat then the GPS will revert to the NMEA factory default. If you're in a hurry and prepared to take a risk, then it's possible to prise open the case (don't lose the on/off switch) and short-circuit the button cell for a few seconds to achieve the same result.

Alternatively, the excellent SirfTech PPC program may be able to identify the current data format and allow you to reset the Holux.

Cheers, Alan.
Memory Map (v5.4.2 & v5.1.3 OS & Euro), GPS gate,OSGPSconverter.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
Page 5 of 5

Jump to: