Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic updates and dynamic rerouting - coloured backgrounds
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic updates and dynamic rerouting - coloured backgrounds

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tj80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 10:35 am    Post subject: Traffic updates and dynamic rerouting - coloured backgrounds Reply with quote

Hi,

I'm just getting to grips with Navigate 7 for PPC and I have it downloading traffic updates with dynamic rerouting. The past couple of days it's found traffic incidents and routed me round them but when I've ignored it I've found the incidents didn't exist. I put this down to out of date info but now I'm not so sure. On both occassions the incident detail was shown on the moving map with a green background.

This morning when I left home it flashed up an incident and said it had rerouted me. It briefly showed details of the incident on the moving map with a red background - I've not seen this before. Later in my journey it said it had rerouted again, this time it showed the same incident info but with a green background. The reroute had taken me back to the original routing.

To me this looks like a red background indicates a "new" incident and green indicates a cleared incident. Is that right? If so, why did it route me round two "green" incidents before?

The manual's useless and it seems very hard to find solid info how any of this actually works!

Thanks in advance,
Tim
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Will try and help referring back to my own experience!!

I too have found that sometimes it has detected a traffic issue and rerouted me - only to find that when I ignored it the traffic was fine!

Not sure if this is an issue with R66 or the provider of traffic information.

Either way perhaps R66 is too sensitive to the data received and its too quick to reroute on receiving information that traffic is slowed at 25mph for example.

With regards to the Red/Green comments. I have my TMC set to refresh every 10 minutes, if for some reason the traffic info cant be refreshed (lack of signal or connection errors) then it seems that any previously downloaded incidents are cleared/deleted, just as though the TMC wasnt active and thus resets the route back to the original, which will probably go through the originally reported traffic incident.

Something else i noticed regarding the Reg/Green popups, is that if the traffic incident has improved i.e the average speed has increased this will show a green background when next refreshed - which is misleading because if speed has increased from 15 to 20, then its still a traffic incident and shouldnt effectively give the green light to that route.

Finally, not sure if you know this, but if you miss the popup regarding the traffic incident, tapping the traffic icon in the bottom left of the map (in portrait view) will let you view that traffic incident again.

Hope this helps, perhaps others can comment on their findings.

Matt
tj80
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Matt,

Thanks for the reply. I really wish there was some documentation to explain how it all worked, but your experiences make sense and tally with what I think I'm seeing. It doesn't look like R66 takes the reported speed into account at all when recalculating - if there's an incident it just reroutes. The green/red background thing is still confusing but what I've seen makes more sense in the context of your observations about improved speed and/or failed TMC update. Again, not very useful but helps if we understand what it's doing!

Thanks for the tip on repeating incidents. I'm trying to work out what the traffic symbols mean - this is what I think they mean so far, any ideas as to whether I'm right or not would be appreciated!

- Green circular arrows - Retrieving TMC update
- Red traffic triangle with distance below - Incident on route indicated distance ahead??
- Red traffic triangle with picture of an aerial and green circles below - TMC updated but no incidents on route???
- Grey circle and diagonal line with distance below - Route clear for distance indicated??

There doesn't seem to be any way of finding out how severe or large the incident is other than reading the tiny text of the incident report? On TomTom there's a diagram on the right with all the incidents and the predicted delay for each. Is there anything similar for R66?

Thanks,
Tim
matt1971
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Feb 11, 2008 3:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tj80 wrote:

There doesn't seem to be any way of finding out how severe or large the incident is other than reading the tiny text of the incident report? On TomTom there's a diagram on the right with all the incidents and the predicted delay for each. Is there anything similar for R66?

No but wish there was!!

tj80 wrote:

1 Green circular arrows - Retrieving TMC update
2 Red traffic triangle with distance below - Incident on route indicated distance ahead??
3 Red traffic triangle with picture of an aerial and green circles below - TMC updated but no incidents on route???
4 Grey circle and diagonal line with distance below - Route clear for distance indicated??

That sounds about right, for my own clarification(!).....

1 Like the active sync icon for windows mobile, and is either the TMC is being refreshed manually or is being refreshed via a scheduled update i.e you've got it set to refresh every 10 minutes
3. From experience is either was unable to retrieve traffic info OR you have deviated from the route planned and the TMC needs to be refreshed to check for traffic incidents on your new route.
2 and 4 - Whatever type of traffic incident has been found - will alter the icon that appears, i.e roadworks, traffic etc. However I think the circle with diagonal line can be associated to road blocked or narrow lanes.

Hope this helps.

I feel very sad knowing this....but have used R66 for about a year.

Matt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: