Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Custom Voice Alert Download Page Added
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Custom Voice Alert Download Page Added
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 7:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll wager this is the known bug when running on battery and power is low.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 12:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hope so!
nyezee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i must be doing something wrong because i cant figure out which files i need to download? i have a TTone 3rd edition and wanted to put the voice warning on it but i am not sure which camera database i have on it (the standard one) so i don't know which sound file to download?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 07, 2008 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HI nyezee, welcome to the forum!

These voice alerts were designed to work with the Pocket GPS World camera database, so if you downloaded it from here, then they are ready to go for you.

From your post though, it sounds like you haven't downloaded the database from here, but have the one from TomTom that came pre-installed on your TomTom when you bought it?
If that's the case, then these voice files CAN be used if you are running v7 software on a TomTom, but you would need to do some renaming of files and to put them into a different place on the unit from where the instructions say.

Unfortunately, you have an EXTRA difficulty because you have a TomTom ONE 3rd Edition. That is the only model that does not (as supplied) have the right menu page to "Manage POIs (Points of Interest) which you need to run the far better PGPSW database.
I think you should have a look at Mike Alder's excellent review of the ONE "3rd", which also tells you how to get the functions you need back. CLICK HERE to read it.

So, to cut a long story short, you need to tell us where the data you have came from and we can then give you some specific idea on how easy it will be to get things set up on your particular kit.
Hopefully, you are reasonably confident with computers and moving files about, because that will make the explanations a LOT easier.
nyezee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the reply, i have a completely standard unit at the mo apart from have added a couple of poi's (BP and shell garages) as for computer knowledge, i would say that i am confident but not an expert and moving files and folders around shouldn't be a problem. i read the menu changing page and i was interested in the itinerary planner option aswell because i drive for a living, but was wondering how it works. if i put all the stops in randomly, will it plan the optimal route for them all or will it plan it as i have entered it ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom do not offer route optimisation, Itinerary Planner will plot a route in the order that you choose.
nyezee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i just changed to the custom menu and found that out Sad nevermind, but i would still like to use it and voice warnings for the cameras.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, hopefully this will work on a ONE 3rd ed. It does on all the other models, but there a re quite a few things that aren't the same on this one.

Be aware that as far as I know, there is no way to assign different alerts to the different speeds when using the TomTom database, so you will only be able to get a generic "Gatso" or "Mobile" alert.
If you want to take advantage of the full, "warning, Gatso ahead, 30 MPH" sort of warning, you'll have to move over to the database from here instead.

First, check you have v7 software (check by tapping the signal strength bars and you will see the software version in a small box on the following screen, tap that box for even more info).

Go to the PGPSW sound files page and download the one you want. You will have to choose the "consolidated by type" files because of the limitation about different speeds I mentioned above when using TomTom's own database.
"Unzip" the downloaded file, to produce the individual .ogg sound files, save them to somewhere on your PC.

Now connect the One to the PC, close Home if it insists on opening, and open Windows Explorer instead. Browse to the TT and open it. Hopefully you will find an (empty) folder called "sounds" on the TT storage. Simply copy the downloaded .ogg files into that folder.

Now "safely remove hardware" by clicking on the icon near the PC clock (always do this before unplugging the TT), and the TT should re-start.
Go to the Plus Services menu, select TT Safety Cameras, and then "change warning preferences". You should now be able to select each camera type in turn and select a sound effect for each. When you get to the sound effects page, your new voice warnings should also be on that page (unfortunately the names are rather long so it isn't easy to see which one you need, but you can test them first by tapping on each.

Repeat for each camera type (you'll have to decide for yourself which alert to use for things like "Toll Road safety cameras etc.") and finally, make sure you have "enable alerts" selected in the menu.
That should be it. You can test them by running a "demo" of a route past a camera you know.

I'll just mention again that the voice alerts have really been designed for the PGPSW database, so to get the best from them (especially the announcements of the SPEED you should consider swapping to that one (it's much better anyway!)
nyezee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for that i will try it now. the camera database from here you mention, do i have to be a member and pay the £19 to have it?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 8:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nyezee wrote:
thanks for that i will try it now. the camera database from here you mention, do i have to be a member and pay the £19 to have it?

Yes
eralyn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Hi
I have down loaded and installed the Liz speed zoned warning sound ogg files and placed then in the map folder of my TomTom 520 along with the speed zoned cam database, and followed your instructions for setting them up. The problem is that when the ogg file plays a warning they sound horribly distorted.
TomTom instructions sound clear it is just the sound effect ogg files that sound distorted.
As a double check, I have played the ogg files in media paler and they sound fine on the computer.
I have the latest software version instaled on the TomTom
Have you any idea what I am doing wrong

Quote:
must admit I have been using the unit powered by the internal battery while I wait for a dual adapter fort the cigar lighter as at the moment it is used for an other device. I will visit Maplin’s tomorrow and purchase one just to see if low power is the answer. I hope that yours and Andy_p2002 suggestion might fix the problem. I hope so because I never had this problem on my trusty go 300
Many thanks to you both for the help

Just a recap I bought a two way adapter for the cigar lighter and pluged in the 520. Hey presto no voice distortions. So it must have been the low power battery problem. I was not aware the 520 had a bug relating to this issue. Are TomTom offering a fix?
Anyway thanks for the advice guys. Did not need to move the ogg files Andy_P2002 but was ready to if the power fix did not work.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 7:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The device is intended to be used powered from the vehicle so I doubt there will be any form of upgrade in way of software that can overcome this issue.
Yesterday I set off fo a 130 mile drive knowing the hire car ciggy socket was dead, after 20 minutes I made a hands free call (big mistake) I shut down the BT transmission on the 720 and used the phone. About 45 minutes into the journey the device shut down with a low battery warning, this was after a full 12 hours charge connected to the mains charger - if the device is not connected to a car charger don't expect it to perform 100%, and don't expect it to work for very long away from the power source - Mike
darrend
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: help!!!! it wont work Reply with quote

hi all
i wonder if you can help me. i have a tomtom 700 with version 7.163 i have today downloaded the latest camera files speed zone complete. i have also downloaded the voice alerts unzipped and put them in the same folder in the maps area and the pvoices extra voices. i have managed to get some gatso to work and mobile then it goes wrong and i cant get any of the possible to work or the specs or redlight.

i have checked the file names and all seems ok and there where they shoudl be

anybody give me some help?
thanks
darren
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try a reset of your unit and then redo the configuration.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Mar 10, 2008 10:16 pm    Post subject: Re: help!!!! it wont work Reply with quote

darrend wrote:
i have managed to get some gatso to work and mobile then it goes wrong and i cant get any of the possible to work or the specs or redlight.

i have checked the file names and all seems ok and there where they shoudl be

When you are re-doing the config, I would leave the "pmobile var" one till last as there's no voice file for it (you need to do it slightly differently and it messes up any that you do afterwards in the same session). Remember to say "Yes" to accepting the voice even though you don't hear one.
Brodit ProClip mount

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: