Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - CoPilot Live Announces Local Search Using Microsoft Live
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

CoPilot Live Announces Local Search Using Microsoft Live
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 1:57 pm    Post subject: CoPilot Live Announces Local Search Using Microsoft Live Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comALK Technologies yesterday announced that customers of its CoPilot Live mobile phone navigation system will be able to benefit from an integral connection to Microsoft’s Live Search API.

By entering a search query e.g. ‘bank’, ‘coffee’ etc you will receive a list of the matches closest to your current location. Connected search is the next big evolution in navigation and provides access to a huge variety of dynamic real-time information.

CoPilot Live sends its queries to Microsoft’s Live Search API via the mobile Internet (a data connection is required) and provides its navigation users with instant access to a huge range of location-specific information. Search results provide details of nearby businesses, shops, restaurants, and leisure facilities, which can be previewed and added to an itinerary for spoken and on-screen turn guidance. The system will also be capable of displaying community-generated reviews and rankings, helping users make an informed selection.

The feature will be available on new products from April and an update will be made available free of charge for existing customers.

Quote:
CoPilot Live takes advantage of a phone’s built-in mobile Internet connectivity, unlike some recently announced Personal Navigation Devices (PNDs), which require the expense of an additional mobile contract for connected services. This combination of feature-rich on-board navigation, and genuinely useful CoPilot Live location-specific information, offers an optimal customer experience and an ideal data proposition for Mobile Operators.

Michael Kornhauser, Managing Director and Vice President of ALK Technologies said “CoPilot is the original connected navigation system – we were the first to integrate real-time mobile Internet services as standard with our CoPilot Live location tracking service. The search experience made possible by the Live Search API is a great extension of our navigation-based mobile Internet services, which provide our customers with the relevant up to date information they need, when they need it.”

“Microsoft’s overall success is due in large part to the extensibility of the platform offerings that industry partners differentiate through their innovation,” said Randy Both, Group Marketing Manager at Microsoft. “With Microsoft’s Live Search API, technology collaborators can create new solutions such as ALK’s CoPilot Live. We’re encouraged to see its innovation and look for ALK and others to continue a revolution in search built on Microsoft’s platform.”

To see a demonstration of CoPilot Live’s connection to Live Search at Mobile World Congress, visit ALK on the Microsoft stand, Hall 1, D19 or the NAVTEQ stand, Hall 1, G45.
Alternatively visit www.copilotlivesearch.com

Last edited by Darren on Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:55 pm; edited 2 times in total
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: CoPilot Live Announces Local Search Using Microsoft Live Reply with quote

excellent Smile i was only talking to the mrs about something like this the other week!!

i particularly like this part too:

Darren wrote:
and an update will be made available free of charge for existing customers.

MaFt
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This sounds simlar to the BMW ConnectedDrive (online), although they use google but it's still really good. Surprisingly, BMW launched there service around 1999.

I wonder if TT will follow with something similar and included the data charges encurred with there eventual HD subscription!

Now I'm just getting ahead of myself!

Very Happy
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 11:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah and CeBIt is just around the corner ;)
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2008 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well actually 3GSM or Mobile World Conference as it is now known is next week and that is where I would expect to find announcements about a lot of connected systems, though of course some may be holding back for CeBIT.

However TomTom consumer division didnt actually got to CeBIT last year it was just the TomTom Work team.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 13, 2008 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomTom will be at CeBIT in force this year and there is a press conference arranged so something is afoot.
Richard70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 7:51 pm    Post subject: CoPilot Reply with quote

Having just purchased O2 Xda Stella which is offered with CoPilot I am unsure if this software works like any other GPS device dependent software such as TomTom or is it using the actual phone service to navigate.

I have been using TomTom for some years on various devices without trouble but on this product TomTom refuses to install.

I have installed memory map V:4.4 but am wuite unable to set up the GPS facitility to use with it.
Having phoned o2 customer support it quickly became apparant that the advisor knew nothiong about Sat nav because he kept putting me on hold while contacting various in-house agents.

His fimal advice was that i require copilot in order to use any other navigation software.

This cannot possibly be the case but after 45min of fruitless discussion i brought the conversation to a close.

Does anyone on here know the situation with Stella regarding the use of 3rd party navigation software using the Stella's internal claimed GPS facility. Their manual say's sod all on the subject.

Thank you in advance

Richard Corbett
Admin edit: Email Address removed
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2008 8:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome Richard,

The XDA Stellar has a built-in GPS Receiver. To use other applications you need to ensure that you have exited CoPilot fully before launching them. If you do not, then CoPilot will retain access to the GPS Port and other applications will be unable to connect to the receiver.

For Memory-Map you will also need to configure it with the correct Com Port and Baud rate settings of your Stellar's Internal GPS. If you go to Start -> Settings -> System -> GPS, it should say there. If not you should try COM 4 and Baud rate of 4800. IIRC the GPS Type for Memory-Map should be Other/NMEA.
Richard70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is the actual problem

1: My Tom Tom software will not install into Stella
2:The actual sequence is....
settings-gps settings....at which point one is faced with the GPS programme port from which I can sellect Com port 1-9 and GPD port (whatever that is) 1-9
In addition under the Hardware tag on the screen bottom, one is oofered the option GPS Hardware Port Com 1-9

So my questio is A: how do i get TomTom Mobile 5 to actually install and
B: what are the settings from the above listed options.

Does this mean a phone call to TomTom I ask myself?

All assistance humbly recieved as before....

Richard Corbett
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 7:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the steller is a pocketpc not a mobile there for you tomtom navigator 5 for pocketpc not smartphone

as the maps for tt5 are out of date why not use the copilot applcation that came with it the mapping it more upto date and the camera database for ourselves can be used the routeing has configuration options than tomtom also

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2008 8:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Richard70 wrote:
Here is the actual problem

1: My Tom Tom software will not install into Stella

You never mentioned TomTom before, you said Memory-Map!
Quote:
So my questio is A: how do i get TomTom Mobile 5 to actually instal

You don't. TomTom Mobile 5 is intended for 'Smartphone' devices only. It will not work on your Stellar which is a Windows Mobile PocketPC Phone Edition, a different platform entirely.

The current TomTom product for your phone is TomTom Navigator 6.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2008 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

And it works a treat as well...
Richard70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:01 am    Post subject: TomTom 6and Xda Stella Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
Quote:

And it works a treat as well...

Does this mean you have a Stella with TT loaded.

If that is the case does the mini Sd card self install

Richard
Richard70
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2008 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You don't. TomTom Mobile 5 is intended for 'Smartphone' devices only. It will not work on your Stellar which is a Windows Mobile PocketPC Phone Edition, a different platform entirely.

That my indeed be the case but I have had my current version working on an Xda Exec without a problem.

If i load TomTom itself I cannot load the maps and if i install the maps without installing TomTom TomTom wil not install
Quote:

Looks like it
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2008 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

any news on when this will be released for current users?

copilot central tells me there's an update - clicking on info tells me it's from november 07... however, after downloading it it doesn't seem to actually install anything to the device and the release number stays at 7.0.6.68!

MaFt

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> CoPilot Live All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: