Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tomtom bearings on laptop screen?????????help!!!!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tomtom bearings on laptop screen?????????help!!!!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Membership Sign-Up Problems?
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RandyChasewater
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 7:45 pm    Post subject: Tomtom bearings on laptop screen?????????help!!!!! Reply with quote

I am currently doing a large amount of POI's. This involves me going to each location, reading the bearings from my tomtom and typing the bearings into an access database manually on my laptop. Does anyone know of a utility of something that will allow me to connect my tomtom to the computer and the bearing show on my screen so I can copy and paste it of import directly into my database. This would make it quicker and less likely to make mistakes
stuart
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Randy...If its bearings from one POI to another POI, then a TomTom isn't the best unit to use. A normal handheld GPS would be better. In the TomTom Compass Preferences you have either an arrow showing your heading (bearing) or an arrow pointing to your destination. You would only need to enter your next location from where you are and the bearing will be in degrees.
GerryC
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Something you could do is to capture your POIs in a POI category on the TomTom them open it with POIEdit.

You can "save as" various formats including several CSV (comma separated values) which you could import into your database or edit first in Excel etc to get your desired format. Smile
Brodit ProClip mount
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Feb 03, 2008 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tomtom bearings on laptop screen?????????help!!!!! Reply with quote

RandyChasewater wrote:
This involves me going to each location, reading the bearings from my tomtom and typing the bearings into an access database manually on my laptop.
Why not create a new category on the Device. Give a name that has some meaning to you.

Hint: If you start the name with an underscore, then the Name will come at the top of the List of Categories when you select it later. (The underscore is on the Numeric Keyboard.)

Then when you are at your chosen location, go to Browse Map.

Either tap the Compass Pointer at the Top of the Screen, or use Find | My Location, to locate your current position on the Map.

Tap the Cursor Button (next to Find) and Select Add as POI.

Select your Category and Enter a Name so that you can identify it later.

Tap OK and OK again when asked for a telephone number and you have your co-ordinates in a POI File.

You can then connect to your PC and copy the POI File, complete with correct location.

If you want to change the Name of any of the Locations, then use POIEdit to Open the File and make the necessary amendments.

It takes longer to explain than to do. Smile

A program like POI Converter can save it as an Excel Spreadsheet, which you should be able to import into a Database.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Membership Sign-Up Problems? All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: