Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Start up sound and USB connection issues
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Start up sound and USB connection issues

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
hwg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:43 am    Post subject: Start up sound and USB connection issues Reply with quote

Hi All,

Q1
When I power my TT 720 T up after a quick reset it makes a drum sound during initialisation.

Should this happen every time as it only does it the first or sometimes the second time?

Q2
I have had a long string of emails between TT support about how to get my PC to recognise the 720 when I plug it in.

They keep telling me to try this do that.

They ask for information that has previously been given to them.

Does anyone here know a cure for the 720 not being recognised by any of my 3 PC, no USB hubs or anything like that?

The 720 works first time after a quick reset but not subsequent times.

If I power it down and back up again a few times it does see it some times.

Windows XP claims that the USB device is not recognised or corrupt.

None of my other USB device EVER and problems, memory sticks, mp3 players, cameras.

Just the 720.

I reckon there is an issue with the USB interface in the 720 or its software!

Only got the 720 for Christmas.

TT support are not the best support unit I have ever dealt with.
getting to the point of taking it back and getting a Garmin.

Can’t imagine I will buy a TT for my wife, will probably get her a Garmin.

But if anyone has any thoughts I would be most grateful.

Thanks

Harry
F2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 6:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a "flashtool" that supposedly cleans up issues (not just the flash card) and you can probably search for a link, here somewhere.

Have you tried cleaning off the device if you have a full backup of your original files?

But it could be a physical problem with the usb port or other circuitry.

Good luck
corvardus
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:32 am    Post subject: Re: Start up sound and USB connection issues Reply with quote

hwg wrote:
I reckon there is an issue with the USB interface in the 720 or its software!

I originally bought myself a TomTom One 3rd for my birthday shortly after Christmas, I ran into the exact same problems 5 days later, and a few days after that the USB female receptor on the TomTom itself broke and went inside the machine.

Naturally I took it back to Halfords and replaced it with a TT One XL instead. Having 3 PC's not recognise it would indicate that there might be some problem with the USB connections coming loose. Would appear TomTom had a dodgy Christmas batch, it seems.

As for the drumming sound, mine did that as well. The broken USB would fool the machine to think it is still connected to the computer and would try and go into computer mode. The drums often occur when the USB plug is still plugged in after a reset.

I am hoping your symptoms are just coincidence and that your unit is still OK, but I must admit you are describing what I went through with mine.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The drum sound is normal for a complete cold boot, eg when switching on after a poke of the reset button. It doesn't do it on disconnection from the PC or a normal switch-on.

There are lots of previous posts about ways to try to get a PC to recognise the USB connection. I have to say it is USUALLY something on the PC not the TT's fault. Have you checked for conflicts/errors in Device Manager. Do you have access to another PC you can try it on?
tanda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have had problems in the past with other computers, and other devices, not being recognised. I find, if you plug the device into the USB, shut the computer down, then re-start it, it will often find the device on startup.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2008 2:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, by the way, the "Flashtool" mentioned above is actually "ClearFlash" if you want to do a search for mentions of it.
You can get it from TomTom HERE.

(Ignore the heading of thet page, it seems to cure more issues than they realised when they wrote it!)
I don't think it will help here, but always worth a go.. Smile

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: