Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new Nuvi questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new Nuvi questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:01 pm    Post subject: new Nuvi questions Reply with quote

Hi chaps,

taken the plunge and gone for a new satnav on Sunday, the old and trusty Navman Pin was just too slow in getting a GPS fix and the maps were a bit old (kept telling me to find the nearest road, when I was clearly on some good tarmac).

anyway, could not find the answers directly on the search, but the Nuvi 370 seems not have a list of the route like the old navman <A410 1 mile, A55 2 miles etc) is a route list hidden somewhere ? Also is there any way of planning a route - entering a list of Via/way points ?

Finally, I've loaded in some POI's (useful that the navman used a CSV format too), but the icons don't seem to be presnt unless you select the POI through <the favouites, <custom POI, <POI xx<show on map - then they show up on the map.

Is this a setting in POI loader that I need to adjust (again sorry about the navman reference in the Garmin section, but that unit would enable you to select the size and visibility of the POI icon, so do I need to change some settings somwhere?)

Is there a good idiots guide on PGPS somewhere for the Nuvi 370 ?

Otherwise the New-vi seems to be pretty good so far- stable, fast lock-on, Bluetooth works fine- bit dodgy with the N73 but great with the motorola V3, traffic even works out of the box.

thx
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 10:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

Nuvi 370 Owners Manual - 1.77 MB PDF

Nuvi 370 Updates - Click Here

Quote:
Finally, I've loaded in some POI's (useful that the navman used a CSV format too), but the icons don't seem to be presnt unless you select the POI through <the favouites, <custom POI, <POI xx<show on map - then they show up on the map.

I'm afraid that's how Garmin do POIs. You can tinker with the Manual Mode on POILoader and set proximity alerts for some of them but it gets very annoying quickly if you have a lot. Page 46

Quote:
anyway, could not find the answers directly on the search, but the Nuvi 370 seems not have a list of the route like the old navman <A410 1 mile, A55 2 miles etc) is a route list hidden somewhere ?

Touch green bar at top of Map Page to open Turns Preview. Page 8

Quote:
Also is there any way of planning a route - entering a list of Via/way points ?

Garmin units (until the latest ones) only accept one via point. When navigating a route touch Where To, search for alocation, touch Go, touch Yes if you wish to use it as a Via Point or No to make it your new final destination. Page 13

Hope that helps.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 10:39 am    Post subject: Re: new Nuvi questions Reply with quote

Adek wrote:

You will find the POIs (yours and the in-built ones ) should show up if you zoom in on the map. Best seen on the 2D map and zooming in until the 300ft scale or better.

Also if you store your POIs in sub-directories under your main POI directory then POILoader will create sub-categories (named the same as the sub directories) in the list. So you will have FAVOURITES | CUSTOM POI | POI Category | List of POI's. POI's are presented in distance from your current position (or last position if no fix).
Adek
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the replies paul, phil,

amazing what you miss on a pdf manual...and thanks for the answers not covered by the manual.
I'll have a play with the POI's to see what the best settings are for me.

I'm quite impressed with the bluetooth function as it seems to work pretty well with most of the phones i tried, except my N73 Nokia, which doesn't support the SMS, but I knew that from the Garmin website.

so far a good experience with the Nuvi.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: