Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom Tom / PGPSW
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom Tom / PGPSW
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
woodchip
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:40 am    Post subject: Tom Tom / PGPSW Reply with quote

Would it not be possible to set up a petition on behalf of Tom Tom users to try and convince T.T. to include PGPSW in their updates ect. Question
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you referring to the Safety Camera database? I'm not sure we would want to now, we offered them the option way back before they had a database and they chose to go it alone.

I still find it hard to believe that they got their core database up and running by allegedly personally surveying every camera site in the UK in only a few months but that's what they claim.

Personally I'm quite happy to see that they are now realising that is is far from as easy to administer a database as they believed witnessed by the appalling quality of their offering! Getting reports from users isn't even half the battle, it is ensuring the accuracy that is the key and they can't. We're also far more open than ANY other database provider, you can discuss content, query cameras etc here which you cannot do with any other data provider.

I think they should drop the whole service and point customers our way!
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not too many give away subscriptions, either. I remember when I bought my Snooper S6-R, I emailed Snooper with lots of errors and omissions and got an email 'thanking me for my input'. Not even a nice letter expressing gratefulness for me doing their job, just a standard computer generated one, methinks.
Infama
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Are you referring to the Safety Camera database? I'm not sure we would want to now, we offered them the option way back before they had a database and they chose to go it alone.

I still find it hard to believe that they got their core database up and running by allegedly personally surveying every camera site in the UK in only a few months but that's what they claim.

Personally I'm quite happy to see that they are now realising that is is far from as easy to administer a database as they believed witnessed by the appalling quality of their offering! Getting reports from users isn't even half the battle, it is ensuring the accuracy that is the key and they can't. We're also far more open than ANY other database provider, you can discuss content, query cameras etc here which you cannot do with any other data provider.

I think they should drop the whole service and point customers our way!

Agreed.
TVR
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Darren,

I totally agree with your sentiments.

But looking at the new software, it would appear they've even scuppered their own Speed camera subscriptions. Speed Cameras does show in the POI share list. Who's, their or ours? When you click for more details thought you get nothing....

I think you'll find that this is another software release that has not been planned clearly enough. But we are getting used to these half baked features and ideas from tomtom. Aren't we.

I think once they realise this they'll pull the plug.

Regards

Sygic for android in HD
Cameralert - pending

TomTom consigned to the bin, after 6 years loyal service.
woodchip
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Camera database yes but all other aspects as well, is is one thing as a company offering them the option but if they knew the feeling of the T.T. users maybe that would have some sort of clout but knowing T.T. perhaps not. They are getting like all the other big companies i.e. supermarkets they just dont care about individuals.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a slight aside, but on the subject of TT's own camera database accuracy...

I don't subscribe to it, but still have the version that was on the 720 when I bought it.

Is there REALLY no way to report a correction or a removal of a camera position? All I can see in the 'Plus services' menu is a button to ADD another one.
I thought I would at least try to correct some of the glaring errors round my way, but there seems to be no way to do it!

Also, is it still the case that Monitron cameras all come up with what I assume is the MOBILE alert symbol (a camera on a tripod) as you pass them? That's what I get for all the ones near me!

Shoddy...
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TVR wrote:
I think you'll find that this is another software release that has not been planned clearly enough. But we are getting used to these half baked features and ideas from tomtom. Aren't we.

I think once they realise this they'll pull the plug.

Just when will you lot start listening to your Uncle Dennis?? I keep telling you, but you don't pay attention. What it is, is the TT Managing Director's favourite daughter comes up with these cockeyed ideas every now and again - that's how Home changed to just a couple of icons a page instead of the whole lot listed like before. He is NEVER going to pull the plug on favourite daughter's ideas, so GET USED TO IT!!
Andy_P2002 wrote:
Also, is it still the case that Monitron cameras all come up with what I assume is the MOBILE alert symbol (a camera on a tripod) as you pass them? That's what I get for all the ones near me!
Come off it, Andy - they probably don't know what a Monitron is yet!
I've got the TT cameras on one of my GOs. In an effort to preserve my sanity, I went to allocate particular sounds to their cameras and found they have SIX types

Fixed Safety Cameras
Mobile Safety Cameras
Red Light Safety Cameras
Toll Road Safety Cameras
Restricted Road Safety Cameras
Miscellaneous Safety Cameras

I cannot find an icon associated with any camera - it would have been useful to show the icon alongside the Type. So to try to see what was what, I assigned a particular sound to each camera type (and promptly forgot what I'd used!!) BUT I did then notice as I drove along that I sometimes got the same warning sound for what seemed to be two different icons! It's far too difficult for me to get my head round. The cameras are so inaccurate that I can't note them alongside ours - I had thought I'd note a Gatso, Redlight, Spec or whatever, but they've still got the (I think) Temporaries for M5 that must have been removed before most of you lot were born.

I have seen at least three different icons used by TT, but cannot for the life of me decide what they're telling me. I get the same icon for what seem to be different camera types and I get different icons for what seem to be the same camera types. As some of you know, I do a lot of miles, so you'd think I'd come across most of their camera types. But I don't, for example, get a warning when I enter the London Congestion Charge, which I might have expected for Toll Road Safety Cameras or Restricted Roads. This may be unfair to TT - I don't have their camera subscription, so the supplied cameras will no doubt be out of date as might be expected with a hard copy as opposed to downloads. If anybody is really curious, you can send Uncle Dennis a nice wad of cash to pay for it and I'll subscribe to TT Safety cameras to give them a genuine test - NO REFUNDS, especially if fifty of you each send me £19.95!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

Why hard to believe, Darren? They picked up that the M40 was closed long before most of the rest of us, didn't they? Pretty snappy. Thumbs Up

if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I still have my subscription to TT cameras and get updates every 2-3 weeks and using tyre i put all the PGPS ones on the map and i opened up all the TT ones and put them there also and it was funny looking at the positions of some of their gatsos etc.. Laughing Laughing
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if1977 wrote:
I still have my subscription to TT cameras and get updates every 2-3 weeks and using tyre i put all the PGPS ones on the map and i opened up all the TT ones and put them there also and it was funny looking at the positions of some of their gatsos etc.. Laughing Laughing

Funny in what way?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

if1977 wrote:

IGNORE HIM EVERYBODY. Send your money to me and I'll check them. Very Happy

if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way some of the TT ones were positioned on the map as i know they are not there and you can see the PGPS ones in the right position as i have passed the cams personally when i have been on recovery jobs. Suppose you have to be there to find it funny.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah no, that is funny Laughing
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If i remember correctly a few of them were about 100-200 yards along the road aswell but cant remember where. Rolling Eyes

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: