Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Very annoying...again
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Very annoying...again
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 5:13 pm    Post subject: Very annoying...again Reply with quote

Have just returned from a day out on the South Downs, and once again I see that the satellite lock was 'lost' requiring me to input/edit manually the missing 'link'. On a beautiful clear sunny day, with hardly any 'forest' walking I find this a little frustrating to say the least.
My mistake yesterday, was to view the screen...(within the 30 second time frame) and press the OFF button instead of letting it turn itself off which creates the above situation, but today I was particularly careful not to do that and just left it well alone...in fact I get pretty nervous just turning it on to check where I am...just in case. (I must learn to be more confident in the product.)
As an aside, one of the guys realised that he had lost his Garmin along the 12 mile walk somewhere today and was going to retrace his steps. Carrying maps at £99 got me thinking about the backup issues in case they are lost or stolen. It seems to me that as they can't be backed up at home, I need to be ultra careful. £500 on 5 sd cards or maybe five on one card is no laughing matter if lost. I imaging the first port of call would be the insurance company.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I should be getting a review unit this week. I say 'should' because it was due last week but was delayed in order that it may be loaded with a new software release.

Let's hope this cures the many niggling issues I keep reading of here?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It shouldn't drop the GPS signal under these sort of conditions so I would keep a eye on it for a week or so, if it persists contact SatMap. As for backing up the memory cards this is good practice but will be of little use should you loose the original SD card. The S in SD means Secure and the data is locked to the cards unique ID (if it wasn't map piracy would be a major problem) - Mike
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: What happens when .... ? Reply with quote

When walking a new/unplanned route, and I need to change batteries, does the Active 10 assume that it has been turned off and then on again, so losing my current walk for later download ?
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:59 pm    Post subject: Re: What happens when .... ? Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
When walking a new/unplanned route, and I need to change batteries, does the Active 10 assume that it has been turned off and then on again, so losing my current walk for later download ?

Nope...it retains the route but may add a 2 or 3 mile straight line journey in a random direction as the GPS finds itself again.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Still struggling...a bit. Reply with quote

On my walk today, I stopped to check where I was in relation to the mental plan I had before I set off. ...turned it on, expecting to see the 'map page', but I couldn't pull it up no matter what. In frustration I turned to the paper map I always carry.
Back at the car, I stopped the Trip Log and Converted the Track. Back home, the whole route is logged successfully, apart from a Blue 'blob' amongst all the green ones...what does that mean ?
And at home now, the GPS Status is showing excellent with the orange boxes jumping up and down, but when I go into Position Info all I see is a greyed out area of map some miles away. What is going on..surely position info should show me at home ?
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:38 pm    Post subject: This is totally unacceptable Reply with quote

Today, I did a 15+ mile walk, starting with fresh batteries. I checked every now and then to 'brag' to my Garmin carrying friends to 'come and see where we are,' on my device. Back at the car park...Satmap dead...flat batteries, and only 9 miles of my walk 'saved.' Absolutely frustrating. I worked it out to be around 4/5 hours before they gave up. And these were Sony cyber shot rechargeables. The only good news...on getting home, the Power Pack has arrived from Satmap. It will be interesting to see how it performs.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...fitted the Lipol battery...very fiddly trying to get the battery pack out.
Mike, any idea how long this battery will last on a daily basis ? I only ask, as to think of changing back to batteries if it goes flat while out will be nigh on impossible with frozen hands, stuck up a mountain somewhere, and with a fragile battery pack to try and replace....no way.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I haven't tried one as yet, what is the rated capacity and voltage of the battery pack?
As for swapping out the battery pack if you carry a small pocket knife you can prise out the battery holder (I assume the battery pack fits the same way as the 3 way AA holder) - Mike
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK..it says, :
Battery Rating 3.7V 2700mAh
It just sort of loosely, not literally, fits in where the battery holder is/was.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would suggest you charge/ discharge the new battery around 5 or 6 times BEFORE trying any duration times, although I am a little surprised at the figures quoted, the disposable Lithium cells are 3000mAHr and a set of three typically put out more than 4,5V when new.

Without checking what the duration will be when used with the device is difficult to say, if you have it on all the time with 100% backlight I would expect around 6 or 7 hours. Employing the powersave features such as turning off the screen will certainly increase this duration - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh dear...so the battery pack sounds like a bit of a waste of time and money...and you'll need to cart around the old battery holder for when the Li Pol battery dies....think I'll stick with the AAs. Confused
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Oh dear...so the battery pack sounds like a bit of a waste of time and money...and you'll need to cart around the old battery holder for when the Li Pol battery dies....think I'll stick with the AAs. Confused
can you please explain why it will be a waste of time
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well...unless I'm missing something the £44 Li Po battery pack won't last any longer than a set of 2700 mAh rechargeables.
bryanwal
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

robs1972 wrote:
Well...unless I'm missing something the £44 Li Po battery pack won't last any longer than a set of 2700 mAh rechargeables.
i also could be wrong but,i race model cars i used to use 2700 mah nimh rechargable hump pack(4 batteries).i now use 2200mah lipo pack ,i get greatly improved run times very cold temps do not affect lipo,also i can charge lipo not use for weeks and when battery is needed there is very little self discharge

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 1 of 7

Jump to: