Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Sat Map Active 10 .Time to aquire a sattelite fix.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Sat Map Active 10 .Time to aquire a sattelite fix.
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mitch67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 11:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive a set on charge and will give them a go asap
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where's the antenna for this device in respect to your hand? With all the comments about long time to fix / loosing lock / low sat signal strength...

Hands make very good screens at the low power levels and frequencies being used. About 5 years ago I was sailing with a few friends and we kept getting the "lost GPS fix" alarm going off - not a major poblem at the time as we were using paper charts and sighting compass for positioning in an estuary. After about 1/2hr of repeated lost fix/acquired fix alarms we decided to investigate - to find it was another member of the crew, sat at the rear of the boat occasionally resting his hand on the antenna - unaware of what it was for. They always seem to mount them to the stern rails of yachts.
ronbo2571
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 8:15 pm    Post subject: sat map acquisition times....this is what you all should do! Reply with quote

After stuggling with acquisition times,I spoke to Satmap and they were helpful as always.
There will be a software upgrade soon to address this problem.Meanwhile do the following:When not in use,leave SD card and batteries out.To gain a quick lock,walk outdoors,put batteries in and switch on IMMEDIATELY leaving it stationary ie put it down facing upwards.
You will gain a lock within 40seconds to 5 minutes.I know because I did it.Previously it took an hour!! Once you have acquired,put the card in and a smile will appear on your face.
This is a great navigation aid,don't knock Satmap,support it .Some of us Brits love to moan and love to see failure.This piece of kit WORKS as it should and it will get better.By the way,I don't work for Satmap and haven't tried it down a mine,but I reckon I could now pull a tasty navigation hungry woman now.Wonder whether it can help me play my trombone ,any one help?
ocam
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well said Ronbo!
Put the device in the hands of a previously underconfident lady navigator and all your troubles will be over!!!
py6km
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 1:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Advising to leave the SD card out before getting a fix sounds a bit bizarre; I wonder how that helps?

Anyway, mine is now in storage until the weekend, with the batteries out, so I'll be interested to see how quick it gets a fix 300 miles from where it was initially switched on. I'll take the card out as well, and follow the advice just to be on the safe side.

As far as I'm concerned, I think it's a good device, but the bottom line is that you shouldn't have to undertake a strange ritual every time you want to use it such as swithcing off, taking batteries out, taking card out, and replacing everything in a particular order etc. If it was 50 quid, maybe (int he short term). But at £250-300 it should be flawless from the get go, new product or not. Although many new products will have teething problems, the ability to get an maintain a fix is the most crucial and basic thing for this device to be able to do, so I'll be scrutinising mine pretty closely when it's used properly this weekend.
Physicist
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No other GPS that I have ever owned - and I have owned ten - has ever required the carry one we have to go through in coaxing the A10 into life. These very basic annoyances (flaws, call them what you will) should have been ironed out before the product was launched. Even when every problem is ironed out (and it may call for hardware revisions such as a better aerial) the whole affair will leave a bad taste in my mouth. At present the advice I give to intending purchasers is the advice Mr Punch gave to someone contemplating marriage. A little harsh perhaps as you may be lucky with your purchase!
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

py6km wrote:
Advising to leave the SD card out before getting a fix sounds a bit bizarre; I wonder how that helps?

It may help to explain the apparent battery drain that has been reported, whilst powered off as well?
mrg2003
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 05, 2008 12:26 am    Post subject: Satmap Reply with quote

I had the pre-sale demo one for a week and it worked faultlessly. cold time to aquire, about 2mins, warm 30 secs. We're hoping to have it on the 3 peaks this year. watch that space.
a10user
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
py6km wrote:

It may help to explain the apparent battery drain that has been reported, whilst powered off as well?

Agree with u, taking 1 battery and sd card out before loking in appears to be extreme.

I can get a fix in my back garden, surrounded by walls and trees in about 2 minutes, but when out for a walk in the peak district usually it takes about 1/2 an hour to get a fix.

Once fixed I can switch it off and when on again it only takes few secong to get a fix.

Probably the new upgrade with v 1.05 will fix the delay when it is being used 100 milesl from previous fix

All in all I am quite pleased with it, although the manual is very basic u need to play with all different setting to get the most of it, this is another issue that Sat Map is going to address with a complete user manual on their web site, When is a good guess.

Also they have said they are updating the web site with the facility to download waypoints or walks from the pc to the A10, When?

Also the Q & A on their web site is a bit of a bit of a nonsence, it says we can download on the A10, wp, walks, save on a blank sd card, but how we do this without a piece of software needed to download? Again this facility ,they say, will be on their web soon, when is another good guess.

But as I said overall is a fantastic piece of equipment.
mitch67
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 08, 2008 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tried mine with rechargable AA's for the first time today.
The A10 locked on as quick as ever infact a little better. I forgot to switch on as soon as I'd parked the car as normal and hadnt noticed till I was about to set off. The A10 was locked on by the time I'd walked to the gate at the start of the path about 100yrds away.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3
Page 3 of 3

Jump to: