Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Brixly - Fast, Reliable, Secure UK Web Hosting
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom 7 for Pocket PC?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom 7 for Pocket PC?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

They were not showing v7 for PDA's nor would I expect them to. Any major launch is always reserved for the European shows as this is their home market. Put CeBIt in March in your diary. If any announcements are imminent, then this is the first event this year at which I would expect one.

Failing that they may have a dedicated launch as they did the x20's or wait until IFA in Berlin in September.

Last edited by Darren on Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:30 am; edited 1 time in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What's the big deal anyway, if you have moved from vs6 to vs7 on the PNA devices you have a couple of extra functions "HelpMe" once read best forgotten about, "MapShare" I am saying no more on this topic, suffice to say I no longer use it.

What else does it offer, newer maps, well TTN6 can use the v660 map and that is still the best in my opinion, personally I see very little point in an upgrade to the PDA software, it will cost a fortune and offer very little over what a version 5 or 6 software user can enjoy today - Mike
GarySN
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
TTN6 can use the v660 map and that is still the best in my opinion
Interesting. Why do you favour v660 to v675?
reteb
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
.....personally I see very little point in an upgrade to the PDA software, it will cost a fortune and offer very little over what a version 5 or 6 software user can enjoy today - Mike

Some of us are still on version 5. With an imminent upgrade to a WM6 device I will also need to update TomTom (I don't think v5 works on WM6?), but I'd be really off if I bought v6 and then found that TomTom released a new version a month or two afterwards.

I also find it difficult to continue my committment to TomTom (ever since the old Route Planner days) if TomTom don't seemed committed to their PDA customers. It's all very well bringing out a new version on their PNDs, but if they are going to treat their PDA customers as second rate then it is now time to move.

CoPilot seems to do a pretty good job and they seem committed to the PDA market. I also like the look of iGo v8, but it looks like I'll have to wait for that too.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 11:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll post my vote for CoPilot, I was never a fan of theirs before but the latest version is very much better and a worthy competitor for TomTom on PDA's.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks
If they do bring out a Tomtom 7 you can be sure that it will have lots of bells and whistles. But it will not navigate any better than Tomtom 5.01. Yes, Tomtom 5.01 takes some beating.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
adthor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:22 pm    Post subject: v5 on WM6 Reply with quote

reteb wrote:
mikealder wrote:
.....personally I see very little point in an upgrade to the PDA software, it will cost a fortune and offer very little over what a version 5 or 6 software user can enjoy today - Mike

Some of us are still on version 5. With an imminent upgrade to a WM6 device I will also need to update TomTom (I don't think v5 works on WM6?), but I'd be really off if I bought v6 and then found that TomTom released a new version a month or two afterwards.

I also find it difficult to continue my committment to TomTom (ever since the old Route Planner days) if TomTom don't seemed committed to their PDA customers. It's all very well bringing out a new version on their PNDs, but if they are going to treat their PDA customers as second rate then it is now time to move.

CoPilot seems to do a pretty good job and they seem committed to the PDA market. I also like the look of iGo v8, but it looks like I'll have to wait for that too.

V5 of Tom Tom runs fine on WM6. I'm running v5.21 on an O2 Stellar with no problems.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Trevor1234 wrote:
Hi Folks
If they do bring out a Tomtom 7 you can be sure that it will have lots of bells and whistles. But it will not navigate any better than Tomtom 5.01. Yes, Tomtom 5.01 takes some beating.

I wouldn't bet on it!

TomTom have progressively reduced the functionallity of TTNav in subsequent major releases. Or introduced additional features that require you to spend more money on their services.

Whilst V5 was OK - V3 was very nice Laughing (No - let's not start a debate - it's a personal preference thing!)
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have to agree, TomTom reached their peak with Navgiator 3. It's been down hill since then.

Mostly because up to version 3 they were written solely for PocketPC, after that they released their dedicated devices and the software has been cross platform.

There are features in Version 3 still not available in version 7, such as permanent avoids, configuration of road speeds etc.
theripper
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2008 3:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all

Latest copy of PDA Essentials (pg 100)

"Persistent rumours that TomTom is planning on releasing a GPS enabled phone in response to Garmins nuviphone may not be true, but they haven't ditched the smartphone world completely. After a longer than usual delay updates to the ever popular Navigator Software are in the offing, and is likely to be announced in the coming weeks."

Clap

theripper
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GarySN Asked
Quote:
Interesting. Why do you favour v660 to v675?

v660 is a navteq map and more uptodate than v675 teleatlas map
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 28, 2008 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
v660 is a navteq map and more up to date than v675 teleatlas map
You would need the last 4 numbers from the map version to be able tell where it came from, there were a number of different versions of 660 by TA and NT, there was even a version of 660 that was released for Navigator version 5.

For where I live the TA maps have the better coverage, the main reason for my comment above is that in my opinion the 660 map was the last release prior to the data being progressively reduced. This size reduction has seen less postcode information, degradation in the ability to enter house numbers and the "straightening" of roads. This is done to allow room for new roads etc. the map still has to fit within the memory card constraints - I would like to see a full non reduced map made available for those of us that want it - Mike
adamwolfe
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 10:20 am    Post subject: Navigator Update/Upgrade Reply with quote

Text from email returned from TomTom Support regarding when Nav 6 may be updated.

Thank you for contacting TomTom Customer Support
Currently as of yet we do not have a date when the product you are asking about will be available.
For further information of when our products are available, please ensure that you have registered to receive the Newsletter via your account.

You could read anything or nothing into this.........
edelf
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wrong
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HTC Have announced the XDA Diamond for O2 Germany today, the spec sheet lists TomTom Navigator 7 preinstalled, see here.

We're seeking more information and will update that thread as we receive it.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
Page 3 of 7

Jump to: