Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - HTC S730 and Tom Tom Navigator 6
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

HTC S730 and Tom Tom Navigator 6

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
cole-99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2008 12:27 pm    Post subject: HTC S730 and Tom Tom Navigator 6 Reply with quote

Hi I recently purchased an HTC S730 and Tom Tom Navigator 6 with Tom Tom GPS bluetooth unit assuming they would work together without any probs.
However after copying the contents of the supplied SD card to my micro SD and inserting it in the HTC S730 nothing happens.
I phoned Tom Tom who informed me that as their software has not been tested on this phone they cannot help.
Has anyone got this combination to work, or is their an alternative GPS package you can recommend that does work??

Thanks,
Mike
Ian1867
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,

Last week I bought a copy of Tom Tom 6 to go with my new HTC Touch Dual. It runs Windows Mobile 6, and Tom Tom does work well.

I would check even further for "have I done everything right" if I were you. When you put the card in the PDA, Tom Tom should automatically boot and install, asking you questions.

As Tom Tom comes with lots of different versions (Windows, Symbian) in the box, are you trying to install the right one? I just feel even if there are problems, it should at least be trying to install?

I had fun getting the satellite receiver to work. Tom Tom said they don't support, but after an hour of messing, (still don't know what I did!) it all started working.
cole-99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,
Thanks for your reply. I have since managed to install the software but am now having probs trying to activate the software. Every time I enter the activation code it exits the screen and tells me it has to be activated (even though I just have) Other issues are the querty keyboard inputs the wrong letters and the delete key will not work.
Tom Tom are absoloutely no help whatsoever.
I now feel like I've bought the wrong phone for the job but I deliberately went for it because of the faster processor.
Has anybody managed to get round the problem?

Thanks,
Mike
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

But, how can you really 'blame' TT, if they officially don't support the phone ? Do a Google search...there are other HTC forum sites that could probably help if you're still stuck.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 1:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a dig around on This Forum, there are a few posts reporting TT working on the device (of sorts).

Also there are a lot of posts trying to hack the phone to release the inbuilt GPS receiver to work - I would steer well clear of trying this though as it involves flashing ROMs that were not really intended for the actuall device - if it goes wrong you could brick the phone - Mike
cole-99
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:
But, how can you really 'blame' TT, if they officially don't support the phone ? Do a Google search...there are other HTC forum sites that could probably help if you're still stuck.

I don't directly blame TT for the fact that the S730 won't run the software.
Obviously, if I had wanted to be 100% sure I would have purchased a phone on their list.
Snag is that the no. of HTC smartphones supported on their list, you can count on the fingers of one hand and compared to the latest units on the market, they are nowhere near as desireable.
Also many phones that are sold with the TT software bundled are also not on the list but run it perfectly. In fact the S710 (it's predessor) is one such phone but all the reports state it runs the TT sat nav with no probs. My decision to buy the S730 was based mainly on this as I thought it would be a relatively safe bet. .... Obviously, I was wrong.
Let me also say that we have 2 other dedicated TT sat nav devices in the family and I think they are great. In the last 2 years on the 3 previous occasions (each time the same issue) I have felt the need to phone their technical help I have twice spoken to people that really could'nt be bothered and didn't seem to know much, and the third time I spoke to someone who was simply brilliant both in technical ability and attitude.
Also I googled this prob many times before asking for help here.
Unfortunately I'm not the only one with this problem.
Anyway, thanks for your advice. Will keep trying.
Mike
MarkHewitt
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2008 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have an HTC S730, very nice phone.

Unfortunately to say that you've bought the wrong software.

TomTom doesn't produce a version which is compatible with Windows Smartphone in version 6. They only do a Pocket PC version, which will run on the S730 (I have it running) but it expects there to be a touch screen, which of course there isn't and that's where it all starts to unravel.

Most of the controls work (even the number shortcuts) but for some reason Up and Down are mapped to Volume Up/Down and not to moving the cursor up and down, which means you can't navigate the menus or the map.

The slide out keyboard also doesn't give the correct inputs, the numeric keypad does but then backspace doesn't work so you have to be right first time!

There is a sort of workaround in the shape of FakeCursor, that allows you to simulate screen taps but it's a very long way from ideal.

So you should only use TomTom 6 with this phone if you've already bought it and even then it's probably only good for occasional use.

If you've not yet bought the software or plan to use it extensively I would go for something else, like CoPilot.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: