Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - tomtom internal files question
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

tomtom internal files question

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tootypegs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 12:47 am    Post subject: tomtom internal files question Reply with quote

hi im new to this forum so im hoping im posting in the right place. My queston involves the internal tomtom files. In particulr i am interested in the mapsettings.cfg. Has anyone interpreted this file? i am aware that i contains favourites and recent desitination but has anyone interprted the file showing how big each entry is in the file and what each entry contains, i.e. longitude and latitude co-ordinates? thanks
xda
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is a program called TomTom Favourite Editor Here
Map: Europe V910.4892
Map: Europe_Truck V870.3421, Kingston 8GB SD
Nokia 925 Windows 8
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

POIEDit will also open the File and display the Lat/Long details.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
tootypegs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

looking at my tom tom i have lots of OV2 files, is there one inparticlar that i must look at because looking at them in a hex editor doesnt display anything that looks like an address. However in the mapsettings.cfg im finding lots of addresses. Would longitude and lattidtude coordinates be found in the mapsettings.cfg?
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OV2 files contain Points Of Interest. Longitude, Lattitude, a description and possibly a phone number. The contents of the files are compressed, TomTom use several different compression methods and can use several different compression methods within the same OV2 file. Some, such as TomTom speed camera OV2 files are encrypted. You will not be able to see much of any use with a hex editor.

MapSettings.cfg contains many addresses. With a hex editor you should be able to see your home address, your recent destinations and your favorites. Longitude and Lattitude coordinates are contained in MapSettings.cfg but they won't be obvious when using a hex editor due to the way that TomTom represent the numbers in the file.

The easiest way to extract useful information from these files is with an editor designed for the purpose, as has been said above.
Oldboy
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The OV2 Files that are externally created are not compressed Files. That is Type 0, 1, 2 and 3 are not. I haven't checked the Type 100 that TT creates yet, but suspect that they're not either.

The Text that is the location can be read with a Hex Editor. The co-ordinates of the Lat/Long values are multiplied by 10000 and the number stored in a Binary string.

tootypegs - You can open mapsettings.cfg with POIEdit and it will display the Names of the locations and the Lat/Long.

TT 910 V7.903: Europe Map v1045
TT Via 135 App 12.075: Europe Map v1120
pcaouolte
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, my mistake, Oldboy is correct the type 0, 1, 2 & 3 records are not compressed and these are the most common record types in OV2 files.

There are some OV2 files with type 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, 15, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 and 28 records. These are compressed. They are used in Mapshare POI update files and some other POI files downloaded from TomTom.

I've still no idea what the type 100 Header record is used for as it's presence appears to make no discernable difference to the function of the POI file on the TomTom.
JockTamsonsBairn
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 12:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

tootypegs wrote:
looking at my tom tom i have lots of OV2 files, is there one inparticlar that i must look at because looking at them in a hex editor doesnt display anything that looks like an address. However in the mapsettings.cfg im finding lots of addresses. Would longitude and lattidtude coordinates be found in the mapsettings.cfg?
If you can explain what you are trying to do, someone might be able to help you. What you are seeing in mapsettings.cfg are probably recent destinations.

TomTom Go 940 LIVE (9.510, Europe v915.5074 on SD & 8.371, WCE v875.3613 on board)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: