Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - help please with a DS and those awful voice files
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

help please with a DS and those awful voice files

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 1:05 am    Post subject: help please with a DS and those awful voice files Reply with quote

Hello, I have just aquired one of these units which I thought was the answer to all of my prayers and now it seems that the database may not be supported by them after all. Glad to see, reading through these posts here that a database is being compiled here to replace the makers one. Let me ask a question, did anyone ever sort out the specs issue in relation to the DS and the way that calculates your average speed between sets?

I agree once the draw of free updates has gone, I would happy to pay the £19 a year asking price for an accurate database it is still less then I have been paying for my Snooper.

And I also saw a couple of posts here about someone trying to replace those awful voice prompts, did they ever succed in this quest? I have been trying without success to get any freshly made recordings to actually work with the unit.

I can get them to upload without any problems so the must be in correct format but the units is mute with them loaded, replace the original wav's and the unit sprngs back to life again. Checking the format stats everything seems to be 100% correct but they will not work in the DS.

Anybody got any ideas on this please?
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2008 9:40 am    Post subject: Re: help please with a DS and those awful voice files Reply with quote

specmaster wrote:
did anyone ever sort out the specs issue in relation to the DS and the way that calculates your average speed between sets?

as far as i'm aware this is just down to having the information on the start / end cameras and the correct heading data.

i've not been asked to change anything in the release files for a considerable time so had assumed everything was satisfactory?

MaFt
regdor
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi . Well the awful voice is a feature of the DS unit, i got mine 2 years ago. The DS company had a very active forum and much discussion took place around the voice but i tried some downloads that were no better. It was not even clear if the voice was male or female, many thought it was a woman but i think it was one of their tech guys as i once spoke to him on the phone. There were some techie discussions about wavs and sample rate that were beyond me, suffice to say nobody got the voice any better as far as i know. Not sure why this was a problem for DS as TomTom et al do ok. But then Ds were a very strange company, they were VERY techie but did not have a clue about customer service!

What i did was clear the unit and download the original DS wavs but leave some fields blank, for example the startup message. i also blank the mobile message. This way i only get the important stuff such as "speed limit 70 miles an hour"

"
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 7:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi regdor,

Well thats in intereasting angle, it would reduce the amount that I have to put with the horibble voice.

Perhaps I'll give it a go if I cannot get it resolved. I will try and record something myself rather than hack about something that someone else has done in a diffeant sample rate. I did however convert them to the spec as instructed in the manual but all I got was silence sp perhas the conversion wasn't 100% succesful.

Wish they had a mute button on the unit like the Snoopers do.
specmaster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have now been able to get some of the voice files replaced with some that were for a Tom Tom, (downloaded from this forum) and modified, edited etc and saved in a format suitable for the Drivesmart unit. These have been uploaded and work OK.

Problem is that not all the relevant words / phrases are covered such as "Truvelo", "Speed to fast" or even "overspeed" etc. Does anyone know where I could find more sample files that could be downloaded and adapted?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: