Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Unable to Install Garmin POI Loader
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Unable to Install Garmin POI Loader

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Bill-Mac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 9:54 pm    Post subject: Unable to Install Garmin POI Loader Reply with quote

I have a Garmin Zumo 550. When I down load Garmin POI loader It downloads to the unzip file When I accept the licence and click on Next . a dialogue box appears not enough disc space in "C" drive. I have a partition on my hard drive "c" & "D" Normally everything is downloaded to "D" with no problem. I don't want reinstal Windows again. If I drag or try and place the POI Prog . in "D" it still tries to install itself in "C"
Is There anyway around since this is very frustrating since I can't use the data base

Regards Bill McCready
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Depending on how your PC is configured, C: is normally the system drive where applications are installed.

If that is the case then you need to resolve the space issue on C:

What operating system do you have? Also, on the C: drive can you see a folder called 'Program Files'?
Bill-Mac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 4:42 pm    Post subject: Garmin Downloader POI Reply with quote

thankyou for your reply. Ihave Windows XP with service pack 2 Installed also Norton 360 Harddrive 60GB 38Gb Freespace "C" 7.48Mb with2.04 MB free space "D" 38 Gb freespace
yes I can see the folder programe files Size is 15KB
Where do I go from here thanks, Bill McCready
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

On which drive is the folder named "Program Files"? And are you sure it is 7.4Mb and not 7.4Gb?
Bill-Mac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:36 pm    Post subject: Unable to Down Load Garmin POI Loader Reply with quote

Hi once again. The Programme files on the "C" partition 15.5Kb which Contain 1 File and 2 folders On the "D" partition there are is also a progamme folder for all the othe progrqammes eg. Norton, sagem, outlook express and everything that runs on the computer. Would it be possible to drag the progamme files, place them in the "D" progarmme files and place the others into "D". This would empty the contents in "C" partition Then if I rename "D" as "C" and with a bit of luck problems with POI downloader would be solved. The only fear I have is when the computer starts up it might look for programmees in "D" which will not be there. I know this is long winded but lack of computer knowledge baffles me. I do appreciate your help and time. Cheers Bill McCready
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sadly being a PC it's not that easy. The best bet albeit a pain in the backside is to do a full re-install but this may not be an option.

Do you know how this issue came about? Did you add a large drive at some point?
Bill-Mac
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:31 pm    Post subject: Unable to install GarminPOI Loader Reply with quote

Hi Darren Once again, many thanks for your instant reply. Yes I installed a 60GB hard drive with no problems the problem came about when I Installed windows XP. I think I made a mistake of forming a partition thinking on the same lines as windows 98 before I realised, but continued on as normal. Everything worked fine, all other programmes worked that I down loaded, they went straight to "D", no problems running or unzipping until I down loaded the garmin POI Loader. I thought I must be able to send it to "D" but unfortunately I couldn't. It looks as though I will have to use another computer or reinstall the whole system unless someone has a brainwave. What frustrates me is why all the other programmes run OK bar Garmin and why can't I direct it to "D" like the others. Many thanks for tring to help my problems are never straight forward. Cheers Bill McCready
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 7:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid issues like this are difficult to resolve remotely. A re-install is obviously not a simple solution but as things stand you are only going to experience more issues as time progresses. Many applications expect to find a C: drive and will insist on installing to that drive letter regardless of whether your OS is installed on another letter.

However, after a quick browse, this web site gives some instructions on creating a 'virtual' C: drive on your other disk. This will fool those apps that insist on installing to C: and will resolve the issues with lack of space on your existing C: drive.

You would however have to remove the existing C: drive or assign it a new drive letter using Disk Administrator as you cannot have two drives sharing the same drive letter even if one is as in this case a 'virtual' drive.

I spent many years installing PC networks and it was issues such as this that drove me to Apple Mac's!
oddsock
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Would creating a folder on your "D" drive and naming it "Garmin" fool it into giving you the option to install it there??
What about partitioning software to increase the size of "C"??

Edit: you could even install Mapsouce into the Garmin folder so there would would be a reference to that folder in the registry which Poi loader might pick up on.

dave

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: