Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie?
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback
View previous topic :: View next topic  
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's a very valid point.
But I would just add that someone who has made 200+ posts is not necessarily an expert.
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 05, 2004 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To ask a further question on this topic - and keep up my batting average!! ;-) - What are the levels suggested by the stars then? Some sort of Macdonalds type qualification? or is it linked to the "newbie" etc thing?

Hate to be considered a newbie at anything at my age - even though for GPS I patently am...

Steve
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 2:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ahh the stars.

It would appear that anyone without an Avatar has no stars and those with an Avatar do!

Would we be right to assume that anyone with a rank of
1-199 Newbie - has one star
200-299 Beginner - has two stars
300-399 Intermediate User - has three stars
400+ Advanced User - has four stars

If they are totally separate to rank then they could be a good indication to your expertise and the rank an indication of your contributions to the forum...
Just a thought.
Steveg
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 07, 2004 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And I just thought you were emphasising the point!!!

I have a star and no Avatar so that theory is out of the window

What did I do to get a star I wonder?

Steve Gillen (Twinkle Twinkle)
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Apr 21, 2004 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know it's been a while since this thread was last active, but I was just browsing around the forum and saw quite a few posts on it that I'd missed, so I thought I'd have a go at answering the question about the stars! ;-)

I think (and Pocket GPS Staff, feel free to correct me here if I am wrong) that icsys is right and the stars are relevant to a member's ranking. I.e:

1-199 posts = Newbie - One star
200-299 posts = Beginner - Two stars
300-399 posts = Intermediate User - Three stars
400+ posts = Advanced User - Four stars

But then, just to confuse matters, Pocket GPS Staff like Dave and Lutz have six stars, so work that one out!! Rolling Eyes Question

What do you have to do/be to get 5 stars, I wonder? Hmm, perhaps 5 stars ratings are reserved for people who are being initiated into the Pocket GPS Team, but haven't quite made it there yet! Wink Mr. Green

I have to say this is the only online forum that I ever use, so I don't know how other forums grade/rank people, but again, like icsys said in a previous post - rankings don't matter so much as the helpful and friendly advice that is given. I personally don't take too much notice of a person's ranking and would presume anyway that the majority of forum users are either Newbies or Beginners.

Still, if a change to the ranking system is brought into effect sometime in the future, I might one day dare to aspire to be something more than a mere Newbie - perchance the much coveted rank of Beginner! However, while such aspirations are still somewhat above me, I will content myself with the more familiar and comfortable rank of Newbie. Wink Mr. Green

Bo Peep.

P.S. I'm not too sure if I'd want any bloke who's eaten a rabbit to be advising me on GPS systems, as he sounds potentially unstable... Laughing Laughing
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watch this space! :D
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Apr 24, 2004 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bo Peep wrote:
I think (and Pocket GPS Staff, feel free to correct me here if I am wrong) that icsys is right and the stars are relevant to a member's ranking. I.e:

1-199 posts = Newbie - One star
200-299 posts = Beginner - Two stars
300-399 posts = Intermediate User - Three stars
400+ posts = Advanced User - Four stars

But then, just to confuse matters, Pocket GPS Staff like Dave and Lutz have six stars, so work that one out!! Rolling Eyes Question

What do you have to do/be to get 5 stars, I wonder? Hmm, perhaps 5 stars ratings are reserved for people who are being initiated into the Pocket GPS Team, but haven't quite made it there yet! Wink Mr. Green

Basically you are correct, there was one star for each ranking going up to 4 stars. There were 6 stars which effectively were reserved for Pocket GPS and 5 stars were generally given to GPS companies and developers. That will now change, developers will now get a new developers button and other GPS companies will get their own button denoting the company.

The new ranking system follows this format:-

001-020 = Beginner
021-060 = Standard
061-200 = Advanced
201-600 = Experienced
601+ = GPS Fanatic

We may add to this later and reserve the right to change it at a later date, but this should keep everyone going for a while.

So for most, it should now mean you've been elevated to the next level (or close to it).

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Guestbook and Feedback All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: