Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem with SysOn
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem with SysOn

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gazzerbadger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Apr 18, 2004 2:44 pm    Post subject: Problem with SysOn Reply with quote

I have recently changed from using a Navman sleeve, with my iPAQ, to the SysOnChip Bluethooth GPS receiver. I use the unit when walking. I have encountered a problem in that the SysOn seems to ‘stick’. If I pause while walking and then start off again the SysOn insist on sending the ‘pause’ point and will not update for quite a few minutes after, even though four or five Sat’s are seen. Has anybody else encountered this problem ? is it a feature of the SiRf chipset or the SysOn implementation of it ? Never had the problem with the Navman.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2004 11:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That sounds odd. Maybe it is going into a kind of standby mode when it doesn't detect movement for a while, and then has trouble to wake up. What if you briefly switch it off and on again when you restart walking - same issue?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
gazzerbadger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2004 2:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Switching it off and on again would correct the position but because I’d be doing it while stationary it would then lock up again!!
I thought it could be a problem with either the Bluetooth connection or Memory Map interpreting the data stream incorrectly. I tried it on my laptop and it was doing the same thing so recorded a log. The $GPRMC sentence was showing an updated time stamp with the “Valid Data” bit set but as you moved, after a pause, the Lat/Long stayed the same with a zero for “Speed over ground”
I took the unit back and as I think it could be a ‘feature’ more than a fault, have exchanged it for a Navman 4100 which looks, initially, ok. After I’ve given it a proper workout I’ll report back. In the meantime if you intend to use the SysOn for walking, beware.
The Navman of course raise another question though. I ‘d like to meet the guy from Navman that recons it’ll run for thirty hours on a set of AAA’s. He must be using some cells with very interesting chemistry, perhaps implementing the latest cold fusion techniques. Oh.. I forgot that was a con to.
gazzerbadger
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quick update. The Navan 4100 works perfectly and also seems to have better Bluetooth performance, as regard range, though not as issue in my application.
The conclusion is, if you’re have a use that requires resolution at walking pace with pauses steer clear of the SysOn.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 23, 2004 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would say the 4100 is a great piece of kit.
It would be interesting if you could keep a record of how long a set of AAAs last.

I know it's difficult. I had a set last about a month, using it a couple of hours here and there my best estimate is 15+ hours on one set of AAAs
Certainly long enough to outlast your PDA whilst on foot, which is what i'll be doing with mine soon.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Advanced GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: