Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Screen cover - How To remove
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Screen cover - How To remove
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mackeddie
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 8:17 pm    Post subject: Screen cover - How To remove Reply with quote

Does anyone know how to remove the front screen cover. Somehow there appears to be water trapped behind mine, which is very annoying, and without any detailed instruction manual I am stuck.

Crying or Very sad
chrissyboy2241
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 12:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Someone wrote a detailed description on this forum but i cant find it. put your nails under the plastic cover at the top where it says GPS and pull until it comes free. Then on the left hand side just above the card cover put your thumbnail under the cover and pull and it should just click away. When replacing the cover make sure the plastic lug at the bottom of the screen is situated correctley.
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The way things are going it looks like you have to connect your Active 10 to your PC and export the cover using Satsync!!! Rolling Eyes Laughing
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saved this...specifically.

"Moisture under the screen cover can be removed by easing off the screen cover itself. The cover is held in place by 3 clip points: the top (by the GPS text), left shoulder and right shoulder (by the Active 10 text). To remove the cover:

Slide your fingernails under the top edge of the screen cover (directly underneath the GPS text). Ease the screen away until it ‘clicks and lifts up. Depending on the stiffness of the cover, you can now do one of two things:
Insert a small headed screwdriver into the cut-out on the edge of the cover beneath the Active 10 text on the right hand side (i.e. just above the on button). Move the screwdriver head backwards, under the edge of the screen (i.e. towards the side buttons, not towards the antenna) and ease the cover away from the edge of the unit. This should release the 2nd clip. With two clips released, the screen cover will come away.
Please your nails at the bottom edge of the screen cover, between the top edge so the buttons and the cover. Then holding the back of the unit firmly with your other hand, push with your nails upwards towards the antenna. This should release the cover. When doing the method though, please do be careful: if you press down on the screen cover itself, when it slides off there is a small chance that it may leave marks on the screen underneath. These can be cleaned off – but it’s just better all round to avoid it on the first place.

Replacing the cover is easy, just sit the tang at the base of the cover into the slot above the joystick, then push the cover down at each clip point until all three click into place.
lucevans
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 12, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:

"Moisture under the screen cover can be removed by easing off the screen cover itself. The cover is held in place by 3 clip points: the top (by the GPS text), left shoulder and right shoulder (by the Active 10 text). To remove the cover:

Slide your fingernails under the top edge of the screen cover (directly underneath the GPS text). Ease the screen away until it ‘clicks and lifts up. Depending on the stiffness of the cover, you can now do one of two things:
Insert a small headed screwdriver into the cut-out on the edge of the cover beneath the Active 10 text on the right hand side (i.e. just above the on button). Move the screwdriver head backwards, under the edge of the screen (i.e. towards the side buttons, not towards the antenna) and ease the cover away from the edge of the unit. This should release the 2nd clip. With two clips released, the screen cover will come away.
Please your nails at the bottom edge of the screen cover, between the top edge so the buttons and the cover. Then holding the back of the unit firmly with your other hand, push with your nails upwards towards the antenna. This should release the cover. When doing the method though, please do be careful: if you press down on the screen cover itself, when it slides off there is a small chance that it may leave marks on the screen underneath. These can be cleaned off – but it’s just better all round to avoid it on the first place.

Replacing the cover is easy, just sit the tang at the base of the cover into the slot above the joystick, then push the cover down at each clip point until all three click into place.

Since it's not in the manual, could someone on the forum admin make this a sticky please?
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lucevans wrote:
FrequentFlyer wrote:

Since it's not in the manual, could someone on the forum admin make this a sticky please?

i posted a video on how I do this on YouTube. I hope it helps?!

click this link: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=sIAjuCFvU6g

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 4:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very good....I think the top needs to be released first, as on mine you can't see the side ones, and then only just with the top released.
Trevor1234
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2008 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jay1967
Thats a good idea (putting it on Youtube) and I'm sure it will be helpfull to customers in the future. Reading instructions is one thing, seeing it done is far superior.
GPS World Traffic cameras
Home 2.7
iPhone 3G
Westlothian
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 10:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

To make this job easier, particularly in winter, the screen cover can be heated gently with a hairdryer first to make it more pliable. This also makes it less prone to damage. Instread of fingernails a plastic edge, like a bank card, can be used for more visibility and better control.

The first tab on the end is easy to pop out and up. The second tab, I select above the brightness button, then slide the card just under the cover parallel with the screen surface towards the on/off button corner until the tab pops out with minimum force.

The screens don't seem to be coated and therefore they can easily have light scratches removed by T-Cut, Brasso, or other polishes for CDs etc.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 31, 2008 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

With reference to inserting a bank card etc. into the top clip,be careful not to push the rubber seal down as I did when using the end of a plastic ruler.

If you do happen to do so,slacken the two small screws on the unit a turn or two and the seal should pop back into place.

Thanks for the tip regarding the hairdryer,good one.

Ian
dungbeetle
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 17, 2009 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps Satmap could look into producing a thin self-adhesive neoprene gasket, to fit around the edge of the main screen.

It would sit sandwiched in between the main body of the unit and the protective screen cover, thereby creating a seal which would prevent the ingress of water in the first place.

The gasket could also be fitted quite easily to units that have already been sold by their owners.

Just a thought.
Brelin
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 4:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dungbeetle wrote:
Perhaps Satmap could look into producing a thin self-adhesive neoprene gasket, to fit around the edge of the main screen.

It would sit sandwiched in between the main body of the unit and the protective screen cover, thereby creating a seal which would prevent the ingress of water in the first place.

The gasket could also be fitted quite easily to units that have already been sold by their owners.

Just a thought.

Totally agree. I was out in the rain with the A10 and water got in between the scratch cover and the screen. In the next design overhaul of the product I'd recommend to Satmap to either seal the scratch cover properly or get rid of it completely and use stick on film to prevent scratches instead.
Bosun
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 08, 2009 7:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to say that I think the replaceable screen is quite a radical idea in GPS design but perhaps it has not been quite as succesful in practice as Satmap hoped it would be.

In this forum post:-

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=75823&start=15

some enterprising person ( a Dutch chap I think ) has removed the centre clear section and just left the rim ( apologies if you have already read it ).

I am rather impressed by this and perhaps it is the way for Satmap to go.You still have a raised rim for protection but only the one screen ( with a protective film presumably ) so any water can escape.

Personally when walking I put the whole thing in an Aqapac the only problem being that it is yet another layer to observe the screen through but it keeps it clean and water free.

I think I will e-mail Satmap regarding it ( with reference to the original designer of course ).

Ian
stephenmorphey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 19, 2009 5:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi mackeddie...
Hope this is useful for you:
The screen cover is held by 3 clips. 1 at the top below GPS text, a left shoulder and a right shoulder. Slide your nails beneath the cover from top below GPS text and swipe your nails until it clicks open!
PhilCorley
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Aug 18, 2010 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Warning to others; first time I tried this I cracked the screen cover Sad

So take care and be gentle with it (which I thought I had been!)

Phil

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: