Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Green flag and POIs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Green flag and POIs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LostMike
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Green flag and POIs Reply with quote

Hi all,

Delighted to be able to discuss Satmap with which I am quite happy but thanks to various missed promises (e.g. lack of a full manual etc) I am also a bit puzzled.

Can anyone advise me what the little green flag is that occasionally appears on my screen means and where it comes from?

Also advice on how to input POI information would be welcome. I can input text via the Active 10 but how do I get in images etc as it implies I can.

TIA

LostMike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Little green flag is when you have set a Go To point.....then when you have the Data Box Overlays on you can set the fields to display the Estimated Time of Arrival to that Go To point or Distance to it or Bearing to it or your speed made good to it etc (just like you can with waypoints, POIs and route ends).....probably of most use if you are a crow as it's all based on a straight line from your current point to the Go To point.

You can create the Go To point by pointing the cursor at the point on the map you want it (which is probably what you did unknowingly) or set by coordinates in the Routes Menu....you can also delete it in the same Menu

Last edited by robs1972 on Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 7:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As for putting images or media in POIs....it looks to me like that was a gimmick that Satmap added either to the touristy mapping areas like the National Trail series or they would be downloaded from their site.

I'm not really very knowledgeable about POIs so may be a POI file is able to have a logo or image or a 'movie' embedded in it with a POI creator program or something.....clearly it's not provided as standard.
FrequentFlyer
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So just what use is a 'straight line' go to point ?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Bearing and distance to where you need to be, can be very handy when you divert from a planned walk due to conditions and need to find a specific point on your path - Mike
robs1972
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 17, 2008 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:

Pfft...God knows....I guess if you are Andy Kershaw you could put the flag on your ex-wife's house and then set Distance From Go To as one of the Data Boxes and then you would be able to tell if you were straying in to the exclusion zone set by the courts......perhaps Satmap should offer an option to toggle the name between Go To and Stay Away From in a future update......after they have sorted out the non hidden inactive routes.
Jay1967
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FrequentFlyer wrote:

Just about every GPS has this option and is the whole point in GPS! Think about it.. You need to get to a destination.. you set your target, GPS tells you how long its gonna take (amongst a million other data boxes that are usually provided) and if you're off course or not! Simple. Now, remember the SatMap is NOT an autoroutable device and is not intended to be one. OS thinking is that its down to you on how you get to your destination, the GPS (in this case the SatMap), will just tell you how far you're from/to it. By reading the OS data you will be made aware of elevation and obstacles in your path some which information is indicated in the data boxes. Thats how the SatMap is intended.. and with these maps, does a fine job!
Thats why its the cartograhy that makes a GPS unit not so much the unit itself and is why so many GPS users call for decent maps!

TT GO920, Honda in-Car system, Garmin Oregon 550T + (OSGB 1:50k S.Eng), Garmin 60CSx, TT BT, QSTARZ QBT1000 Data Logger, MemoryMap v5 - Uk 1:50kOSG

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Satmap Active 10 All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: