Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Memory Map and Road Angel 7000 Adventurer
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Memory Map and Road Angel 7000 Adventurer
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I looked into this, and can't now find the link that suggested the RA mount was unpowered

Ah, I thought you had seen one (when you mentioned 'unpowered'), a picture of one I saw on a website did (I think) show the battery terminals inside the cradle so maybe it does have the power socket on the back.
I would only want this socket so I could connect my Lithium-Ion powerpack I bought in case I ever ran out of battery while out and about, I'd put it in a waterproof case strapped to the bike ready to plug in - remember it doesn't just charge the RA (in event of a flat battery) but it powers it as well.

Last edited by Brian on Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:19 pm; edited 1 time in total
rothers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The RA cradle supplied with the cycle mount is unpowered, I've got one. it's just the car cradle with contacts removed and blanked off.

A word of warning - the RA cycle mount is not suitable for vigorous mountain biking, the cradle doesn't hold the RA 7000 securely enough. About a month after purchasing mine (from Memory Map) I received a mod kit from RA which comprised 2 large black elastic bands to hold the RA in more securely!!! This was in response to many people returning damaged RA's as a result of using the cycle mount.

I've since abandoned the mount and now simply tiewrap the cradle to my handlebar stem, works suprisingly well.

I'll post some photos when I get a mo.
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had concerns about the RA flying out of the cradle, I'll probably stick with my modded car mount setup which I've now altered to be lower and more solid, I think a decent elastic band is probably a good idea, fixed around the top would probably hold the pen in as well.
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 6:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used my new RA 7000/Memory Map combo for the first time in anger today, ignoring bad weather reports (heavy rain all day in my region) which luckily never materialised (they got it wrong again!), I headed to Gisburn Forest and rode the middle longest cycle route out of the three. The RA was set to 60% screen brightness which was perfect for the day, I left the display on all the time but had my back up Lithium Ion battery set up just in case (see photo below .. back up battery sits in a waterproof camera case cable-tied to the handlebars, the RA sit on my modded quick-release mount which I've again altered so the whole setup sits lower).
The RA/MM combo worked faultlessly, the route was created in MM, I had a run through in Google Earth and it looked fine, I found it is better to put your waypoints on the inside of corners, that way the direction arrow reacts just as you reach the corner, talking of the direction arrow - this is a great asset of the RA/MM setup where you can glance down at speed on your bike and see where the route takes you next without having to study the map too closely - this is one of the features that is missing from the SatMap which would improve that unit.

Those of you who cannot decide whether of not to purchase a RA or a SatMap, I've compiled a feature list in the form of a Wordpad .rtf file, it shows some of the pro's and con's of the two units, I cannot speak as a user of a SatMap as I've only ever tinkered with one at Blacks Outdoor shop, but until they get the SatSync software compatible with PC based route creating software it is going to be tricky to use. Plenty has been said about these issues on the SatMap forum so its up to you to decide, but I can tell you the RA/MM combo works really well .. if you've ever used MM on a PC or via a pda and you were happy with it then the RA will not disappoint you.

http://home.freeuk.com/zumo2/RA-SatMap.rtf
OR
http://home.freeuk.com/zumo2/RA-SatMap.pdf

On a final note, I was then able to use the RA to navigate back to my home from Gisburn Forest using a better route than I picked to get there, and to be honest the RA was surprisingly good in this department also - Another plus!
Battery power? well I didn't need my backup pack on this occasion (you press a button on the pack to activate it), in fact I also used internal battery power to drive home and the unit showed plenty of juice left in the battery once home.
If you're interested below is a link to the tracklog of the ride in Google Earth's .kml format, this is easily created by importing the tracklog into MM from the RA, saving as a .gpx file and converting to a .kml file using GPSVisualizer (see above, click on the 'connected spheres' icon for a 3D flyby). ( note: I deduced from the tracklog data that the RA saves a tracklog point every 12 seconds which is quite good. )

http://home.freeuk.com/zumo2/gisburn-forest_medium-route-tracklog.kml
(Right-click, Save Target As and rename from a .xml to a .kml file if necessary)

Last edited by Brian on Mon Jan 14, 2008 3:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
squired
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 12:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All this useful info is certainly swaying me towards the road angel rather than the satmap. I have a new question.

If my maps run in Memory map 5, does that mean I can put them on my road angel? They are not all the most recent maps, but have been modified using a "fix" I found on the net some time ago (no idea what it is now unfortunately).
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 14, 2008 11:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just installed one of my older 2004 OS 1:25000 (Lands End) maps to try in my RA 7000 and it worked fine. So I'd say you'll be ok with the RA.
squired
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, when navigating in the memory map screen, does it give you any warning of an upcoming waypoint, or major change in direction? My only experience of GPS is my Garmin Edge, which does not have mapping, but zooms in an highlights the fact you are approaching a waypoint.
Mortiki_UK
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian wrote:
I just installed one of my older 2004 OS 1:25000 (Lands End) maps to try in my RA 7000 and it worked fine. So I'd say you'll be ok with the RA.

How have you got this to work? I have rung Memory-Map on this issue and have been told that only Memory-Map V5 map data will work on the Road Angel 7000 and that I will need to upgrade Sad

Mark
squired
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mark - do you have version 5 running on your PC, and if so, do your 2004 maps open in it? You've got me worried now!

I was considering making the jump and buying a road angel unit tonight until I read your post.
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT : I tried another 2004 map (Ben Nevis) and I got a 'License Restriction ..' error message so it must have been a fluke that the other file worked though it did have the date '2004' in it when viewed with a hex editor, so it looks like you may need v5 maps if you want to add any more to the RA (remember if you buy a RA adventurer it comes preinstalled with 1:50000 maps.

Quote:
when navigating in the memory map screen, does it give you any warning of an upcoming waypoint, or major change in direction

The direction arrow points you towards the next waypoint so it is fairly obvious which direction to take, there's also the option of a pop up box which gives a distance countdown to the next waypoint, all this with the scrolling map in the background with a red circle indicating where you are on the map and a red arrow pointing in the direction of travel makes for a fairly foolproof method of navigation.
squired
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2008 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Brian - do these maps that don't transfer open in MM v5?

Last edited by squired on Wed Jan 23, 2008 1:20 pm; edited 1 time in total
Invisible_Bug
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 19, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RA works fine with the patched version of memory map 5 (older maps) well mine does anyway Smile

Bug
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 2:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

An earlier discussion in this post about linking your photographs taken with a digital camera with the Track-log you may have created using your Road Angel (or most other GPS's that create a track-log gpx file), the following free software will allow you to link where you took your photos with the correct location within your tracklog then create a Google Earth kmz fly-by file ..

http://software.copiks.se/photomapper/index.php?lang=EN

to quote their website ..
"PhotoMapper will assist in organizing your memories by adding a geographic position to the EXIF-data that is already present in your files, so called geotagging."

.. It is easier than manually doing it, a How To guide about the steps involved is posted on the ZumoForums here ..

http://www.zumoforums.com/index.php?topic=3503.msg28042#msg28042
Brian
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 27, 2008 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had another ride out on the mountain bike yesterday to try out the Road Angel/Memory Map setup, this time I rode a 10.5 mile circular trip from Hellifield in Yorkshire. After getting the bike out from the back of the hatchback I was particularly impressed with the Road Angel - having not had it switched on from its last fix at home 30+ miles away, it got a fix before I'd even got my bicycle clips on - impressive! I first rode up to Long Preston then taking an old unclassified road up towards Settle and back round to Hellifield. The first half was a steady climb up Green Gate Lane then Edge Lane which steadily gets rougher until you reach the bridleway which takes you eventually to Langber Lane and the downhill second half, taking you past Bookilber Barn which I remember went up in flames many years ago and has now been recently rebuilt as a house. Then, after following the track around the small copse and cutting back across some very muddy fields and crossing the railway level crossing gets you back to the car park.

Below are several photos from the ride (click to enlarge), the first being labelled with some of the features from the RA/MM screen for those of you who maybe haven't seen it in action, the pop-up boxes can be moved or cancelled so as not to clutter the map area.

For a Google Earth (GE) fly-by, Right click and Save Target As ..
http://home.freeuk.com/zumo2/hellifield_l-preston_settle_circular.kml
.. rename file extension from .xml to .kml and open in GE.

For Memory Map overlay file (.mmo), Right click and Save Target As ..
http://home.freeuk.com/zumo2/hellifield_l-preston_settle_circular.mmo
squired
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I finally got myself a RA at the weekend. I strongly considered the Satmap, but too many of the comments I've read about it have put me off for the moment (as well as the additional cost). Anyway, sometimes when I go out I like to just try different routes, rather than just follow one I've worked out in advance. Is there a way to get the map to scroll as you move when no route has been set? I did a quick walk round the block, and soon my position indicator had moved off the screen.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Memory-Map All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 3 of 5

Jump to: