Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin C510 and Traffic master??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin C510 and Traffic master??
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 11:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalGiz1871a wrote:
Your prediction was right. It did work a bit better in the Octavia.
Glad to hear that - personal experience meant I knew it should not be too bad in the Octavia Wink
Quote:
My understanding is that athermic windscreens also adversely affect GPS signals. However, I have never had any problem getting a good GPS signal
They should and do with some GPS units, but the newer GPS chipsets are sufficiently sensitive that you do not normally notice the difference unless you study the satellite status pages in great detail.
keystrokes
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have a mondeo, done 75,000 miles in it now and only 18 mths onld. I used to have intermitant TMC problems on my unit (C510 deluxe), until an update about 6 mths ago and now the signal is stable. I cover a lot of miles and it has not let me down, it re-routes me if the traffic is particly bad.

I even had the main road through our local town was closed for a week and the traffic master picked up the diversion before I had even left home.

Now, the windscreen in mine is not the orgional, I had it replaced when the car was about 3 months old, it could be the replacement windscreen does not block the signal.

Lloyd
RoyalGiz1871a
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

keystrokes wrote:

Now, the windscreen in mine is not the orgional, I had it replaced when the car was about 3 months old, it could be the replacement windscreen does not block the signal.

Lloyd

Sounds a good news/bad news story. Good news being that you now get the TMC signal. Bad news is that it sounds like they didn't replace your original anthermic screen with another one (thus no longer blocking UV).
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 18, 2008 10:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalGiz1871a wrote:
keystrokes wrote:

Lloyd

Sounds a good news/bad news story. Good news being that you now get the TMC signal. Bad news is that it sounds like they didn't replace your original anthermic screen with another one (thus no longer blocking UV).

The windscreens on practically all modern cars block UV (or most of it). They don't need to be athermic to achieve that, I'd be highly suprised if any modern windscreen allowed any significant UV through.
RoyalGiz1871a
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jan 20, 2008 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So why do manufacturers, who are always keen to trim production costs, bother with the additional cost of an athermic windscreen?
Lester_Burnham
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 21, 2008 10:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoyalGiz1871a wrote:
So why do manufacturers, who are always keen to trim production costs, bother with the additional cost of an athermic windscreen?

Because it does something more than simply block UV.
micrick
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 23, 2008 10:49 pm    Post subject: Nuvi 610T in a Mondeo Reply with quote

Hi there, I'm new to this forum. In November I bought a brand new Mondeo. Couldn't afford the built-in SatNav at 1600 quid so got a Garmin Nuvi 610T instead.

The GPS bit works OK but not the traffic updates. I've updated the software without success. Seems the car's design blocks the signals.

Is there an external aerial or some other solution. Please don't suggest changing the car!
slimgym
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 5:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

> athermic windscreens also adversely affect GPS signals.

This happened on my 206cc however of late the new chipsets are much more sensitive and in my 207cc the C510 works perfectly pretty much anywhere in the car as long as it's upright.

I also got nearly non-existant TMC with the aerial in loads of positions, side windows, windscreen etc.

Seem to have found the solution however, in that the 207cc has a part of the windscreen, around the rear view mirror, which is not coated. I stuck the aerial horizontally to this part of the windscreen and TMC works perfectly.

Maybe worth checking if your car has a gap in the coating? I think the handbook had something about using the area to stick parking tickets to.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: Nuvi 610T in a Mondeo Reply with quote

micrick wrote:

The GPS bit works OK but not the traffic updates. I've updated the software without success. Seems the car's design blocks the signals.

Is there an external aerial or some other solution. Please don't suggest changing the car!

There's lots of discussion in these forums about improving TMC reception. Connectimng the string aerial to the existing car radio aerial gives a good result. Do a search looking for splitters and TMC.

It all depends on how confident you feel about fiddling around with your car radio.
bradders2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All,
To receive Trafficmaster signals, which orientation is best to mount the aerial on the windscreen, using the suction mounts.
Since I got the unit just before Christmas, I have been mounting the aerial vertically. The Garmin Owner's Manual does not state which way it should be aligned.

Chris B

Garmin nuvi 2595LMT
Garmin nuvi 760T
Memory Map Adventurer 2800

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: