Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Reviewed: Tchart's GPS Speed Sentry
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Reviewed: Tchart's GPS Speed Sentry
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reviewed: Tchart's GPS Speed Sentry Reply with quote

pocketgpsworld.comTchart's GPS Speed Sentry is a unique application for PocketPC. It was originally intended to provide a user configurable speed alarm when supplied with a GPS signal. Whilst very neat, the need to manually set the speed alarm limited its usefulness.

However, last years revamp of this software package has added the capability for speed camera warnings. Coupled with our Safety Camera database this makes the package very much more useful. Tchart have added a superbly functional 'threat display' to indicate approaching safety cameras and although more akin to fighter jets than cars the whole package works very well.

Click here to read the full review...
s3dbw
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good review Darren and I have to agree, this is an excellent piece of software and works well in conjunction with PDA Nav programs
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just to clarify and ensure credit goes where due, the review was not mine, I simply edited it for the web. The review was from Mike Alder, one of our hard working moderators Smile
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 13, 2008 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Only costs $11 (£5.40) if you download direct from the home site and then take the Paypal payment option.

Very good program - would benefit from being able to handle different warning ranges to cut false alarms as laser speed enforcement is done at up to 1km but gatsos are only need 200m approx. You can only have one set of warning distances.

Great value.
jonez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, this looks pretty interesting, the feature that interests me most is that it beeps when you exceed the limit, I was just wondering if I use this can I use it with tomtom 6 running at the same time?, or will it conflict, I drive a lot for work (about 24k miles a year) so I would need to have it working reliably (i.e no conflicts!)

Thank you
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You could use it running concurrently with TomTom with some caveats. if your PDA is running WM6 then it should be fine, for an older PDA you would need GPSGate which allows one GPS to supply GPS data to more than one application.

I should point out that GPS Sentry has no speed limit data itself, you choose the speed limit using the on-screen buttons i.e. 50MPH and if you exceed that speed then the alert is played.
jonez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the prompt reply Smile

my pda runs 2003SE which i'm guessing must be older then 6.

Quote:
I should point out that GPS Sentry has no speed limit data itself, you choose the speed limit using the on-screen buttons i.e. 50MPH and if you exceed that speed then the alert is played.

Oh, I thought that it gets the data from the speed camera database, hmm, not as useful as I thought! Smile
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For your version of OS you will need to split the GPS data between the two applications using Fransons GPS, or have a look for a different port splitter as there is more than one.

The Speed Limit will follw the speed limit of the cameras IF the application is set up to do so - I used it this way for quite some time - Mike
jonez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
The Speed Limit will follw the speed limit of the cameras IF the application is set up to do so - I used it this way for quite some time - Mike

Thanks Mike, so just to clarify it will beep automatically if I go over the speed limit without me having to manually set the speed limit for each road?, i.e. get the speed limits automatically from the gps speed cam files?.

Thanks again
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it will follow the speed limit as defined by the cameras in the database and IF you are speeding it will beep, as both Franson's GPS Gate and Speed Sentry are both "try before you buy" applications albeit with timed restrictions for the demo versions you will be able to check this out without it costing anything before committing to purchase - Mike
jonez
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you very much for your help Mike, I really appreciate it, the franson website is down at the moment but will check it out later when it comes back up, now, back to looking for tomtom 6 alternatives!
blackrat62
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Yes it will follow the speed limit as defined by the cameras in the database and IF you are speeding it will beep, as both Franson's GPS Gate and Speed Sentry are both "try before you buy" applications albeit with timed restrictions for the demo versions you will be able to check this out without it costing anything before committing to purchase - Mike

BUT if it passes a 30mph camera it will presume that is the speed limit until it reaches another different limit camera won't it? The problem could then arise if you have the 'overspeed' warning set and you go into a higher limit (with no camera) - it will constantly warn you about speed until it reaches another camera. It will also accept cameras that stray into your angle of detection. My one does that!

Oh I run WM6 and as reported it runs with TomTom perfectly.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Jan 15, 2008 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The speed limit within the application will increase/ decrease in value depending upon the camera before reverting back to the value previously selected (set it to 70 and see what happens). It will pick up other cameras that are within the field of view but most warning software will also do this - Mike
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you configure the software to “Change Speed Limit Automatically” the speed buttons will follow the speed limit of the camera highlighting automatically. This avoids the need to continually select a speed by tapping the screen.

I have just downloaded and using this program ,very good I must say, there is just one problem I can not figure out , the above paragraph from the review state that you can set the "change speed limit automatically" I am unable to locate this on the program ,does anyone know where this settings is please

many thanks
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jan 25, 2008 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Start the application then go to Menu/ Setup/ Database select the check boxes as per your preference "Change limit" will make the speed limit button/ indicators follow the speed rating of the cameras, "Temporary Only" will alter the speed limit of the indicator buttons while approaching a camera before reverting back to the previous selected speed - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> News And Latest Information All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: