Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Origin B2 - Tom Tom - IPAQ
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Origin B2 - Tom Tom - IPAQ

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems
View previous topic :: View next topic  
PaulT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 1:44 pm    Post subject: Origin B2 - Tom Tom - IPAQ Reply with quote

I am going to purchase an Origin B2, finally convinced by your reviews, with Tom Tom software on my IPAQ 3870.

Do you know if Origin are producing the link cable yet? or where/what to get

Also want a mount for the IPAQ but am boggled by choice, can you recommend please? Preferences are swivel mount - with power for the IPAQ, cable from Origin, Nissan Primera Y2000

What make SD card would u recommend/avoid?

If I travel to France and remove the main Origin unit, will it still send signals through to my IPAQ?

Great site, would have made some big purchasing mistakes without it Thumbs Up
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 2:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the Carcomm mount was available in the Uk then I'd say that was ideal as it has Power and both PS/2 and RS232 fly leads so you could hook up to the b2. Sadly as yet they have not appointed a UK Dsitributor Crying or Very sad

Brodit do a mount with a Sync Port built in, this would allow you to connect to the 3870 socket but it depends on what lead you have, I would imagine the Origin NMEA Output lead will be RS232, you would then need a null modem adapter and a a lead from PC-Mobile who I believe make a RS232 - iPAQ lead that also has 12v power for the iPAQ.

I don't think the GPS Out cable is out until Dec. Avoid Sandisk SD cards which have had many problems.

Finally, you need the Origin b2 unit to supply the GPS feed, no reason why you can't locate it out of view though.

Last edited by Darren on Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
PaulT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 17, 2003 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just spoken to Origin on the phone and they think the output won't be available until 1st quarter 2004 now, which probably means April/May.

Bang goes that idea !
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Finally, you need the Origin b2 unit to supply the GPS feed, no reason why you can't locate it out of view though.

Asking the original question again - we PaulT travels to France he wants to turn off the Origin B2 (to comply with the law I guess - I'd be interested to know which countries have laws banning the use of these devices - I know some do)

If the B2 was switched off and physically removed (ie stored in the boot) would the GPS aerial and wiring be sufficient to provide a GPS signal via the GPS out cradle?

(I appreciate this is a difficult question to ask as the GPSout cradle isn't even available for sale yet)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 18, 2003 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Almost certainly it wouldn't as the antenna is just that, an antenna, the signal processing is done in the b2 unit itself without which you will not be able to use any forthcoming GPS Data out functions Crying or Very sad
PaulT
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here is a reply I received today from Andrew at Origin :-

Many thanks for your mail, with regard to the RS232 cradle this is scheduled for release at the end of quarter 1 next year.

With regard to you continental driving you would be able to use the cradle to output the data to your PDA.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 19, 2003 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not sure that Andrew has understood your question there, yes you can use the cradle to output GPS data. However, whether this would be true without the b2 in place is another matter.

I will pose this question as well as the release data for the GPS Out facility direct and endeavour to get confirmation of the situation.
AKay
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 22, 2004 9:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i nearly had a heart attack when i saw this:

b2 Cradle (RS232 - GPS Output) £ 44.96 Select

The RS232 cradle is the same as the regular b2 cradle, but with the addition of a serial port connector. This enables you to connect a PDA (Personal Digital Assistant ) or laptop computer to the b2; a GPS output will be fed from the b2 to your device and, once navigation software has been loaded, you will have a cost effective satnav solution. Your P.D.A or Laptop software is NOT supported by Origin Technologies Ltd. Product release Autumn 2003.

spoke to them and they said its here in August 2004 :x

http://www.originblueidirect.co.uk/order1.htm

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Hardware based GPS SCD Systems All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: