Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Modified Mounts review
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Modified Mounts review

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Dec 28, 2007 5:43 pm    Post subject: Modified Mounts review Reply with quote

We are reviewing a lot of different gear, and each of them comes with their own mounting solution (or sometimes with nothing, requiring a solution). Give the increased theft rates related to windscreen mounts (and also legislation in some US states that forbids windscreen mounts) you have to decide in each case if you want to take the risk or rather invest in a dashboard mount.

The problem is that there are too many, seemingly incompatible solutions on the market. I have found myself tinkering with a few custom adapters lately and wanted to share my learnings.

http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/modifiedmounts.php

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
andygrunt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

After failing to find a 'proper' mount for use with my TomTom One in my Hyundai Coupe, I decided to try making my own.

I still think it's better than any 'pro' mount I could buy - it's easy to clip on and take off, doesn't leave any marks, can easily be transferred to another car and only cost around £10.

Photos here

Why don't the Pro's make mounts this flexible and cheap? Very Happy
'Home' (Latest Version)
culzean
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:41 pm    Post subject: Why mount your gps on windscreen? Reply with quote

Since I bought my Garmin C510 abouy 18 months ago I have always attached the sucker mount to the side window of my car, it is easy to see (and hear) and is just about in line with the door mirror. It is unobtrusive as it is hard for anyone outside the car to see it. I have never had a problem with using it this way.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

@andygrunt - one important aspect is safety. I don't want you to test this but would you think your mount would survive a crash when a car strucks you from behind? Or would your device including mount become airbound and possibly hurt someone?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
andygrunt
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
would you think your mount would survive a crash when a car strucks you from behind?

Fair point but I'm very confident that isn't a problem. The bulldog clips I used are particularly strong and combined with the way they wrap around the air vent this leads to a very solid attachment.

The kind of force from the rear I imagine would be needed to dislodge it would render any damage done from the mount flying around to be the least of the problems. Also, I would expect the actual TomTom One to become detached from the mount before the mount became detached from the vent (I use the mount that came with the TT1 to attach it to my vent-mount) meaning it wouldn't be any more dangerous than if I used the window suction mount that came with it.
'Home' (Latest Version)
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 29, 2007 9:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Below the bottom of the windshield/no telltale sucker ring on the windshield.
In easy view of the driver, next to the speedometer and tach.
Within easy reach of both the driver's hand and less than half a foot from the ciggie lighter.
And no mangling of the vent grills:

robertn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The early Navman units came with a base that would screw to the dash, and clamp the iCN mount. Not many people used them - something about lack of flat spots on modern dash boards and puting holes in the dash to screw it down.

I do wonder with any perminant mount, and the main reason I still use the windsheild mount, you cannot hide the fact theres something fancy in the car. Taking the Nav device with you just means the thief is disappointed, but you still have a broken window.
onecall
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This might help drivers of the new Volswagen Passat. There are 2 small pop out drawers on the dash. I have stuck 2 strips of velcro on the face of the right hand drawer and 2 on the back of my Navman. Pop the drawer open and stick on the gps when in use. Works a treat.
sidverber
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 9:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

After getting fed up with my TomTom windscreen mount not sticking/falling off in cold weather I hit on the perfect solution. I used Sticky Velcro pads. Three pads stuck to the dashboard and bottom of the TomTom gave a secure mounting while allowing ease of removal. Low-tech rules OK.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2008 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just make sure you size the Velcro generously. The device should not come loose in a rear crash.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: