Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin show 2 new Nuvi Satnavs at CES in Las Vegas
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin show 2 new Nuvi Satnavs at CES in Las Vegas

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeB
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 5:07 pm    Post subject: Garmin show 2 new Nuvi Satnavs at CES in Las Vegas Reply with quote

Garmin previewed 2 new nüvi Satnav systems at the Pepcom Tailgate party in Las Vegas. The nüvi 880 will become the top of the range system for Garmin and features Voice Recognition software enabling you to control your navigation device without removing your hands from the wheel. It also supports MSN Direct delivering real time information to your device.

We will get more information on these devices when we visit Garmin later this week.

Garmin Press release wrote:
Talk Back to your nüvi®: Garmin’s® Flagship nüvi 880 Features Speech Recognition, Enhanced MSN Direct Services

OLATHE, Kan./January 3, 2008/PR Newswire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (Nasdaq: GRMN), today announced the new nüvi 880, a premium portable navigation device with cutting-edge speech recognition, dynamic MSN Direct content, and an impressive array of other convenience and safety features. The devicewas announced in conjunction with the 2008 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas, and will be on display at the Garmin booth (South Hall 4, booth #35832).

“Garmin’s nüvi 880 uses speech recognition to make navigation safer and easier than ever. Now it’s possible to keep both hands on the wheel, tell nüvi what to do and where to go, and you’re on your way to stress-free travel,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s worldwide vice president of sales. “And with enhanced MSN Direct services, the nüvi 880 provides cutting-edge content like traffic, fuel prices, news and business headlines, and a wireless ‘send to GPS’ capability.”

In keeping with Garmin’s heritage of elegant user interface design, the nüvi 880’s speech recognition technology sets the new industry standard for simple and intuitive use. Users mount a push-to-talk wireless remote to their steering wheel, which is used to activate voice commands – no additional setup or “training” is required. Once activated, the user can effortlessly manipulate controls by speaking the words that correspond to buttons that are on the touchscreen display, so that almost any common task can be performed without ever touching the unit.

Garmin has also streamlined the way users can perform complex points of interest searches. Driving in an unfamiliar area and hungry for some spaghetti? Simply say, “find nearest Italian restaurant,” and you’re offered a menu of nearby pasta purveyors. Use a voice command to select the establishment of your choice, and the nuvi 800 series gives you turn-by-turn directions to dinner. The nuvi 880 also knows the names of many large business brands, so a user need only say, “find place,” then "Starbucks" for a quick caffeine fix.

For the ultimate in safety, a driver at any time speak the phrase, “where am I?” and their device will display its exact latitude and longitude coordinates, the nearest address and intersection, and the closest hospitals, police stations and gas stations. Speech recognition can also be used to search for addresses as well – all hands-free, from start to finish. Speech recognition is available for American English, British English, European French, European Spanish, German, Italian, and Netherlands Dutch languages.

The nüvi 880 also boasts next-generation dynamic content from the MSN Direct network that helps users efficiently navigate their day, including:

Traffic conditions: receive up-to-date traffic incident and flow information for most metropolitan areas across North America, and let nüvi select a route that avoids traffic accidents, road closures, and construction.
Fuel prices: receive gas price data from over 100,000 gas stations across the nation. Drivers will always know where to get the best prices – and save time and fuel by using their unit to navigate directly to the station of their choice.
Weather reports: features current weather conditions (including high/low/current temperatures, chances of precipitation, humidity, pressure, wind, and weather alerts) as well as three day weather forecasts.
Enhanced movie listings: search for movies by title or by theater and receive show times, ‘star’ ratings, genre, actors, and more – and get driving directions to the theater.
Local events: receive special notices on festivals, concerts, and sporting events in your area, and navigate to them.
News and stocks: the latest news headlines and financial market updates are always at your fingertips.
Send to GPS capability: plan trips and look up destinations from the convenience of your computer, via Windows Live Local, and then wirelessly send locations to your nüvi 880
Three months of free MSN Direct service is included with the purchase of the nüvi 880. Owners can re-subscribe for $49.95 a year, or a one-time charge of $129.95. For more information on MSN Direct services and coverage areas, visit http://garmin.msndirect.com.

The nüvi 880 has Bluetooth wireless technology for hands-free calling when paired with compatible phones. Using the unit’s speech recognition capabilities, users can find and dial phone numbers (specifically supported phones can even access their history log of received, missed and dialed calls) or nüvi’s points of interest database (hotels, restaurants, stores and more). This new premium PND also has a built-in FM transmitter, allowing users to wirelessly transmit turn-by-turn directions and street names, MP3s and audio books through their vehicle’s stereo. The nüvi 880 also boasts front-firing stereo speakers and a removable lithium-ion battery.

Boasting a bright, sunlight-readable 4.3-inch color touchscreen display (480x272 pixels), the nüvi 880 is loaded with maps of the U.S., Canada, and Puerto Rico. The new unit incorporates a high-sensitivity internal GPS antenna that makes it thinner and easier to mount in a car. At startup (Garmin’s new “instant on” feature makes the unit quicker to use), Garmin’s intuitive “Where To?” and “View Map” welcome screen appears, allowing for quick searches of addresses or over six million points of interest like restaurants, hotels, attractions, gas stations, and more. Turn-by-turn, voice-prompted directions guide drivers to their destination, announcing streets by name along the way. If they miss a turn, the nüvi automatically recalculates a route and gets them back on track.

To help drivers find their car in an unfamiliar spot or crowded parking lot, the unit automatically marks where it was last removed from the windshield mount. Users can save 10 routes, specify via points and preview simulated turns, and the unit automatically sorts multiple destinations to provide an efficient route for errands, deliveries or sales calls. It also displays speed limits for highways and interstates, and a trip log provides an electronic bread crumb trail of up to 10,000 points.

The nüvi 880 also includes many entertainment and travel tools including a music player (MP3, Ogg, and Flac formats supported), audio book player (subscription to Audible.com required), alarm clock, picture viewer, currency converters and more. The nüvi 880 even has games pre-loaded to pass the time while waiting in airports and long lines. The units also are installed with Garmin Lock™, an innovative patent pending theft prevention system that disables the unit from performing any functions until the user types in a specific 4-digit PIN or takes the unit to a predetermined secure location.

Garmin also offers the nüvi 850, which offers speech recognition capabilities but without MSN Direct services or Bluetooth wireless technology. All other features are comparable to the nüvi 880.

The nüvi 800 series will be available in the second quarter of 2008. Visit www.garmin.com for more information and pricing.

Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 07, 2008 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
To help drivers find their car in an unfamiliar spot or crowded parking lot, the unit automatically marks where it was last removed from the windshield mount.

I like that. Cool Laughing
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Tue Jan 08, 2008 12:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Quote:
To help drivers find their car in an unfamiliar spot or crowded parking lot, the unit automatically marks where it was last removed from the windshield mount.

i bet you won't like the $1,000 price tag!!!

the voice recognition beats tomtom's hands-down though in terms of what you can actually use it for - i.e. not just street names, but full menu control! one of these would be a nice addition ;)

MaFt
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I want one!!
Somebody put in a word for me to test it for them please - the speech recognition sounds like the real thing. We all suspected as much, but now we know why TT rushed the x20s out. And if I can't break the unit, it's robust! I've still got loads of space on the windscreen and a spare ciggy lighter socket.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
if1977
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 2:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think i am going to be a trater as my next unit may be a Garmin unless TomTom pull something out of the hat in the next 3 months. Rolling Eyes
GO 510 (in drawer now, time for upgrade)
nmi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 09, 2008 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As good as the Nuvi models are, the interface of them is still very 'basic' to my mind.

I would have picked up a Nuvi 670 but when I tested it, I was disappointed to find that very simple things such as 'indicated speed', 'distance to turn' etc are not displayed by default, you have to press a button to get this info! I have a 3.5 yr old Streetpilot 2610, (still a good model but lacking some features that I would like) has these features. I've lost count the amount of time I've glanced at the unit to get my true speed.

Although I just can't see myself 'upgrading' to the Nuvi, no matter what features they add in if the very basics are not included.

Roll on a new Streetpilot !

nmi
michaelj2
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:08 am    Post subject: Nuvi 880 Reply with quote

nmi wrote:
As good as the Nuvi models are, the interface of them is still very 'basic' to my mind.

I would have picked up a Nuvi 670 but when I tested it, I was disappointed to find that very simple things such as 'indicated speed', 'distance to turn' etc are not displayed by default, you have to press a button to get this info! I have a 3.5 yr old Streetpilot 2610, (still a good model but lacking some features that I would like) has these features. I've lost count the amount of time I've glanced at the unit to get my true speed.

Although I just can't see myself 'upgrading' to the Nuvi, no matter what features they add in if the very basics are not included.

Roll on a new Streetpilot !

nmi

I actually purchased a Nuvi 760 and was so disappointed when I compared it with my Streetpilot 2820 that I gave it away to my brother in law. I agree with you about the lack of features on the Nuvi. The 880 sounds like the 7XX series with speech recognition.

I sincerely hope that Garmin will bring out a new updated Streetpilot 28XX series soon.
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nmi wrote:

Well my 660 shows distance to next event (turn etc) at bottom right, by default, when following a route and if touched shows you detail of the approaching turn. So does my wifes 310.

Whilst I think there should be an option to have current speed or other info, displayed whilst following a route (in place of the ETA) - it's hardly a major problem (and lets not start the 'true' speed discussion again!). Your speedo is accurate enough for driving - after all you can be prosecuted for excessive speed even when below the speed limit - if it is considered to be inappropiate for the conditions.

I don't know about other people but I glance at my speedo very infrequently. You get used to your car - engine sound and things like throttle position (rather ankle position) give you subconcious clues. In 90% of driving that I do - there's too much other traffic about to allow you to draw attention to your speed. Camera alerts when in an unfamiliar areas may cause a quick speed check though Wink
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
This new premium PND also has a built-in FM transmitter, allowing users to wirelessly transmit turn-by-turn directions and street names, MP3s and audio books through their vehicle’s stereo.

Score one for Garmin. I notice the word "simultaneously" is missing though, as in

Quote:
This new premium PND also has a built-in FM transmitter, allowing users to wirelessly transmit turn-by-turn directions and street names, MP3s and audio books simultaneously through their vehicle’s stereo.

Hope it's not music OR directions....
nmi
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

philpugh wrote:
nmi wrote:

Well my 660 shows distance to next event (turn etc) at bottom right, by default, when following a route and if touched shows you detail of the approaching turn.

Thats kinda the point though, I dont want to have to keep pressing the screen to get info when it is displayed by default on the S2610. Whats the deal with having to press to get detail of the approaching turn? Again the 2610 does that be default. I noticed it on the 250W I bought for my folks at Xmas, didn't automatically display that. That would be frustrating for me!

philpugh wrote:

Whilst I think there should be an option to have current speed or other info, displayed whilst following a route (in place of the ETA) - it's hardly a major problem

Everyone prefers different things, to me, not having that info, is a deal breaker. If it doesn't present the info I need on the screen, or have some configurable options to display it, then I ain't buying it.

It's strange that a 3+ yr old system beats the newer systems in clarity of information presented!

Like I said, roll on the updated StreetPilot !

nmi
crazyfingers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skippy wrote:
Quote:

That feature is available with the 7xx units too.
jonandmarkuk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 14, 2008 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, just seen the £600 price tag of these and I don't think the other half will go for a new sta nav that's only £100 less than the huge HDTV we have just brought.

To be honest I really don't know if I like the cartoon look of the units. Some cheaper GPS units have a much nicer looking map screen.

Oh well No point in looking at the new Garmin's anymore then Confused
tsdinos
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Feb 24, 2008 2:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Arrow Do you know if the nuvi 7xx series and now the new 8xx series have enough proccessing power to play video? If yes how come and they haven't thought to include that feature? Im sure a Divx player will come very handy to these units!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: